Around the League Part 8: Welcome to the league Vegas, and Duchene discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
For me it's $1-2 million overpaid. I'm not convinced that Eichel could have made much more than $10 million a year right now if he were a UFA. So he will be making Superstar #1C prime contract money coming off his ELC. McDavid deserves that because he won the Art Ross and Hart last year and will likely continue to win both. Draisaitl and Eichel were fortunate enough to ride that wave into huge deals.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'm still pretty curious to what Eichel's high end production is. Still, better they pay him Kopitar money now instead of what's going on with Kopitar, no matter what the production ends up being you're paying to get the best years instead of paying later to get the worst.

Reactions: Unsustainable

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
So Vegas's roster submitted to the NHL. 11 Forwards, 9 defensemen and 3 goalies. :laugh:

Yeah, I know they'll make some moves before the 1st game, but GMGM was probably counting on other GM's having a bigger need for his 10 defensemen and probably won't get what he had hoped to get for them.

I'm still baffled Vegas passed on Stempniak and took the ECHLer (Brinkley?) instead.

I guess it doesn't really matter since Vegas isn't expected to be competitive this season and Stemp wouldn't be anything more than a stopgap for a season or two anyways.

But still, that was surprising. Unless there is something I'm missing, which is likely since I'm still getting used to having a new team in the league.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
matthews is going to be expensive when he resigns

they will be in trouble, especially when nylander outscores him this year

Confirmed w/ Link: Matthews demands trade to play for hometown Coyotes.

Article: Coyotes instantly profitable thanks to hometown hero Matthews. Former team Toronto continues to struggle w/o him, owner contemplates moving franchise to Albuquerque.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Why? Unfortunately, the market rates have been set, and this falls into it. I think people are forgetting how much of an impact that kid makes.

The market's been set on who he's supposed to be. But 1 season of almost PPG play for 60 games and not great two way play? Maybe this is just how it has to be. But I'd rather find some bridge, and then pay him the 10 million when he's definitely going to be who they need him to be if they are going to give him 10 million per, instead of hoping it's the case.

If he's a 12 million a year player, great. You missed out on a couple million savings, but you have a guy that can carry you to the playoffs. But if he's a 7.5 million a year player making 10, that's going to hurt.

It's sort of what we saw with Eric. He was a 7 million a year talent for most of his time, and making 9+. That 2 million had a lot to do with why he was playing with fringe NHL'rs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->