Around the League Part 8: Welcome to the league Vegas, and Duchene discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
It is almost impossible to convince yourself that you have enough money. No matter how much you have. And generally the richer one gets, the more anxious they get about whether or not they have enough. It turns people into Dragons, sitting on their wealth with close fists.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I think there's a good bit of discipline and virtue in not doing/buying stuff you don't need.

Now, is driving a car with rusted-through doors excessive? Probably. But a lot of the reason people who are rich become so is good financial decisions. Taking the car for example, they aren't continually locking themselves into car/lease payments they can't afford. Then they "make it" financially, and sometimes it's like "well, I made it this long without a Corvette, why get one now?"

I think the "dragons" are the ones that continually need gadgets and new stuff on a loop, regardless of whether they can prudently afford them. The guy described above may have gone a little overboard (but I'm a big AC guy so to me he's a monster), but at least he can say he doesn't "have" to be rich. He's been responsible with what he makes, but if it all went away it sounds like he'd be ok. Sounds like his priorities are setting his family up for success, leaving a good bit behind. I'd be willing to bet his kids' educations are paid for in cash, and they probably take some pretty neat vacations.

It's weird when I see comments like that because sometimes the rich can't win. NFL player gets rich, goes bankrupt, everyone's comment is "wow what an idiot, I'd be so much more responsible." A rich man spends to live luxuriously, but still within his means, he's "out of touch with the common man, sitting in his mansion not knowing the struggle the rest of us have." Then, if a guy who's rich saves well, still denies himself some comforts, he's a "miser, a dragon sitting on his hoard."

At some point it just seems like some people are mad that some are rich and they aren't.

/rant

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
(but I'm a big AC guy so to me he's a monster)

I'd be willing to bet his kids' educations are paid for in cash, and they probably take some pretty neat vacations.

"Monster" is being kind.

My kids are still in preschool, and I'm already having semi-regular internal debates about how to much to provide them financially. There's no doubt that I am in a good place financially because I didn't get an allowance, got a job at 16, was on my own after high school graduation, that kind of thing. But, it was pretty damn tough. At some level, you hope the hard work and tough times allows you to put your family a rung higher on the social ladder, but in the back of your mind you think about how people who've grown up on rungs above you struggle as adults. It's tough to know where the sweet spot is.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
"Monster" is being kind.

My kids are still in preschool, and I'm already having semi-regular internal debates about how to much to provide them financially. There's no doubt that I am in a good place financially because I didn't get an allowance, got a job at 16, was on my own after high school graduation, that kind of thing. But, it was pretty damn tough. At some level, you hope the hard work and tough times allows you to put your family a rung higher on the social ladder, but in the back of your mind you think about how people who've grown up on rungs above you struggle as adults. It's tough to know where the sweet spot is.

It's a tough balance for sure. You want to treat them well without spoiling them, help them to get a leg up without handing them anything.

Dave Ramsey's advice is pretty good in this situation. I like his principles (disagree in certain areas), and his advice about raising kids is a good balance in my opinion. He recommends having them work for their allowance. It should be a weekly/monthly allowance, so that they get to grow up making decisions about "their own money". But they aren't given it. Age appropriate chores, and whether or not they are done, determine whether the allowance is given. That conditions that hard work is what produces money, not mommy and daddy.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I think we are all pretty universally on board with Francis's strategy when it comes to goalies, but in case anyone isn't...

Of note is that Ned is one of our highest drafted goalies in years, and we all are starting to fall out of love with him pretty quick.

Also of note: we should theoretically only need to hit once every few years on a late round goalie in order to be in business. Unfortunately our last hit, which should've solidified the position for years, is now the starter for Toronto.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I think we are all pretty universally on board with Francis's strategy when it comes to goalies, but in case anyone isn't...

Of note is that Ned is one of our highest drafted goalies in years, and we all are starting to fall out of love with him pretty quick.

Also of note: we should theoretically only need to hit once every few years on a late round goalie in order to be in business. Unfortunately our last hit, which should've solidified the position for years, is now the starter for Toronto.

You mean only hit?

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Cam Ward was pretty good right up until we could've used Andersen.

He wasn't a late round goalie which I thought is what you were referring to.

Manny Legace is the only goalie in franchise history to play over 200 NHL games picked after round 1. (Giguere and Ward are the only 2 who have and were picked in round 1). Anderson will get there this year, but it really speaks to the absolute futility of this organization to draft goalies.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
He wasn't a late round goalie which I thought is what you were referring to.

Manny Legace is the only goalie in franchise history to play over 200 NHL games picked after round 1. (Giguere and Ward are the only 2 who have and were picked in round 1). Anderson will get there this year, but it really speaks to the absolute futility of this organization to draft goalies.

Haha I know I was just being a jerk.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
eichel signs a 10m a year contract and ehlers signs a 6m a year contract

interesting to keep an eye on these things since skinner is coming up in the next couple years along with aho and some of our other young bucks

I wonder if making Skinner the captain can influence keeping his price down slightly. If that's something he wants that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->