Around the League Part 5: The Drouin Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I actually have seen this once: in my wife's grandparents' house, which was built during the postwar boom. It doesn't have a master - just a full one upstairs and half downstairs, both of which are carpeted. The upstairs one looks like... well, dysentery. I think it used to be pink at one point. I don't know why nobody has torn it out. It's not even nailed down to the floor.

I don't think the place has been updated since it was built. Maybe this was just a thing in those days.

These houses weren't even that old! At the oldest I think they were from the early '90s.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I've seen the analytics on both, but the difference in usage between the two is astronomical. Kulikov was used as a #3/low-end #2 by Florida last year. Pysyk was used as a #6/7 by Buffalo.

That's not to say I don't think Pysyk could be a good dman. I just think Florida went a bit out to left field on this one. This isn't trading a random 3rd round pick for this, this is trading a guy that's a 2nd pairing dman for a #6/7 in hopes that the #6/7 is better then the 2nd pairing guy. That usually doesn't work out too well unless we're talking one guy being on the downslope of his career in their mid 30s and another being a young prospect. Pysyk's all of 1 year younger then Kulikov.

Remember when everyone was going nuts over the analytics of Patrick Wiercioch?

http://public.tableau.com/shared/7MPW2WK42?:display_count=yes

Last edited:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Florida does gain about $3 million cap space and Kulikov was going into the final year of his contract. Maybe they didn't think they'd be able to, or didn't want to, re-sign him. Gain something for a guy who's going to be leaving anyway.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Pysyk couldn't carry Kulikov's jock.. He maybe never turned the corner into a top pairing guy but is ridiculously skilled and a great skater. A very solid pick up for any team. Very solid second pairing guy.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
That's my most likely thought on this one Robo. Though Florida already had a ****ton of cap space this year with only Trocheck needing to get really paid, next season they have Huberdeau, Smith, and Ekblad all basically ready to rock Teddy KGB as their agent:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I mean, I'll be honestly I wanted us to trade a pick for Weircioch just to see if he could work out here, based on those numbers. But there's no way I'd have given up the rights to Slavin or something equally ridiculous at the time for him.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
That's my most likely thought on this one Robo. Though Florida already had a ****ton of cap space this year with only Trocheck needing to get really paid, next season they have Huberdeau, Smith, and Ekblad all basically ready to rock Teddy KGB as their agent:

Underrated movie. I'll always be a fan of the Ed Norton line about how badly he needed that guys charity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->