Around the League - Is it Playoffs Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
So how close are we to seeing the first team clinch or eliminated? I know tampa and Boston are already pretty much locks but I always loved those Magic number threads. A lot better than the tragic number lists we used to be on every year lol.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
So how close are we to seeing the first team clinch or eliminated? I know tampa and Boston are already pretty much locks but I always loved those Magic number threads. A lot better than the tragic number lists we used to be on every year lol.

As of last night:

NHL Eastern Conference Winning Magic Numbers

The Sabres are really close to being out of it officially. And Tampa is really close to clinching as well.

Reactions: JadedLeaf

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Ahh thanks Bert! So if I understand that site correctly, Florida is the only team in the east currently outside a playoff spot that controls it's own destiny? Sabres being at 0 would mean any points won by tampa or lost by the sabres means elimination?

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Ahh thanks Bert! So if I understand that site correctly, Florida is the only team in the east currently outside a playoff spot that controls it's own destiny? Sabres being at 0 would mean any points won by tampa or lost by the sabres means elimination?

Regarding Florida, you're right.

As far as Buffalo, I don't think that's what it means. Not sure about the No Playoffs column. The best way to look at is that the Sabres have 13 games left, of 26 possible points. That would take them to 82 points if they won out. That means as soon as the 2nd Wild Card spot hits 82 points, they're eliminated. So only 5 more points from where Columbus is now. And if Buffalo loses, than number drops.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think it's intentional...how come it wasn't Duclair jumping up and laying a stick and forearm to Marchand's head? Would have been awesome to see a double take-down. Whether it was intentional or not, that was a hit to the head with the head being the primary point of contact...how blatant does that need to be? So he shouldn't be suspended because it wasn't intentional? It's still careless at the very least.

well it is a hit to the head, so he should be suspended.
but i'm saying is i don't think it was intentional.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Regarding Florida, you're right.

As far as Buffalo, I don't think that's what it means. Not sure about the No Playoffs column. The best way to look at is that the Sabres have 13 games left, of 26 possible points. That would take them to 82 points if they won out. That means as soon as the 2nd Wild Card spot hits 82 points, they're eliminated. So only 5 more points from where Columbus is now. And if Buffalo loses, than number drops.
Ahh I got ya. It's the info I want, just have to work a little bit harder to figure out what it's telling you I guess.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Ahh I got ya. It's the info I want, just have to work a little bit harder to figure out what it's telling you I guess.

Actually that same web site has losing magic numbers for each conference as well. They're found on the left hand side of the page. That'll help you figure that out easier.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
but he's not wrong?
I saw the hit and it looks bad, but i don't think that's intentional, and Button's point is the DPS looks at the action - then the person. not the person, and then the action.
He grabbed his face. Button said the incident was an accident. Entire thing. How can that be an accident. I politely disagree with you

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
If the Leafs defeat the Sabres this week could that officially eliminate them?

Umm I don't think so. Buffalo doesn't play until they face the Leafs on Thursday, so they would need NJ and Columbus to get to 82 points respectively. Columbus would have to win both of their games, but NJ only plays once during that span. If those teams will all of their games that would mean Buffalo has 1 point to lose before being eliminated officially.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Umm I don't think so. Buffalo doesn't play until they face the Leafs on Thursday, so they would need NJ and Columbus to get to 82 points respectively. Columbus would have to win both of their games, but NJ only plays once during that span. If those teams will all of their games that would mean Buffalo has 1 point to lose before being eliminated officially.
Thank you for knowing that and in great detail. :thumbu:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

So we move on. What can this limping management team do going forward? Whatever word you want to use — rebuild, reset — major change is needed. At the very least, they need a No. 1 centre and, let’s be honest, a No. 2 centre, and a No. 2 defenceman to play alongside Shea Weber.

So how do you do that? One of the biggest problems Montreal faces is the hefty sums of money already tied up in its salary-cap. You start with Carey Price and his eight-year deal that brings with it an annual $10.5 million hit on the cap. Then you have Weber and his $7.8 million cap hit (all the way through to the end of the 2025-2026 season).

Don’t forget about maybe the worst Habs contract in a pile of bad contracts — the mighty Karl Alzner, with four more years at a cap hit of $4.6 million! Then there’s Andrew Shaw, with a cap hit of $3.9 million through to the end of the 2021-2022 season.

That’s $27 million tied up in four players through to the end of the 2022 season — and we’re not talking about using those big bucks on folks like Sidney Crosby and Jonathan Toews in their prime. We’re talking an awful D-man, a just-OK winger, a very good defenceman on the decline and a goalie who may be one of the greatest, but is injury-prone and is coming off a horrendous season.

In any case, that means you have around 36 per cent of your cap wrapped up in just those four guys (that’s a rough calculation since obviously it depends on how much the cap increases in the coming years). So that severely limits the amount of money the Canadiens can spend on acquiring A-list talent.

With those salaries already on the books, a real rebuild is pretty well out of the question, even if this management team wanted to go that route, which does not appear to be the case. All indications are that Bergevin will build this team around Price and Weber. So it won’t be a rebuild. Let’s use the GM’s word and call it a “reset”.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Average points per team in each division:

Metro: 76.125
Atlantic: 74.25
Central: 83
Pacific: 73.375

Looks like 3 weak divisions and one strong one.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Average points per team in each division:

Metro: 76.125
Atlantic: 74.25
Central: 83
Pacific: 73.375

Looks like 3 weak divisions and one strong one.
It doesn't help when teams in the Atlantic like Buffalo, Ottawa, Montreal and Detroit are among the leagues worst. Buffalo is currently 30th, Ottawa is 29th, Montreal is 27th and Detroit is 26th.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I honestly thought the Sabres didn't look too bad roster-wise going into the season. Been one massive disappointment overall for them since they've drafted Eichel. Something is seriously rotten there.

I agree with you .. IMO there's enough talent on that roster at all positions to be a bubble team at least, or at least was before the deadline, but I feel like it's definitely a dressing room/coach/development issue. Seems like the culture off the ice is lacking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->