Around the League: Second Round Starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Thanks for beating the Preds last week !
Hopefully we can return the favor against the Bruins tonight....

Guys what's up with you & Buffalo ?

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
well I think its time to official name Tanev the glass man. he got knee injury now that will keep him out the rest of the season

this is the exact reason why I was against trading for him

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
well I think its time to official name Tanev the glass man. he got knee injury now that will keep him out the rest of the season

this is the exact reason why I was against trading for him

Unfortunately there are those in our fanbase so fixated with the ideal that Tanev is, rather than what he has been his entire career (a non-physical, very strong defensive D who's injured every single year in the regular season...let alone the pace/physicality of higher stake games)...along with a short tourney (WC) that should be taken with minimal face value....that Tanev->Toronto threads on here will pop up again in the offseason, inevitably.

It's sort of like Hainsey with the Leafs to some extent. He was sound earlier on in the year but has been in pretty poor form lately. His worth has been carried just as much by Rielly taking a huge step forward, and improvement every single year, possibly moreso than his actual play.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
Unfortunately there are those in our fanbase so fixated with the ideal that Tanev is, rather than what he has been his entire career (a non-physical, very strong defensive D who's injured every single year in the regular season...let alone the pace/physicality of higher stake games)...along with a short tourney (WC) that should be taken with minimal face value....that Tanev->Toronto threads on here will pop up again in the offseason, inevitably.

It's sort of like Hainsey with the Leafs to some extent. He was sound earlier on in the year but has been in pretty poor form lately. His worth has been carried just as much by Rielly taking a huge step forward, and improvement every single year, possibly moreso than his actual play.

true but the difference between hainsey and tanev is not a first and a prospect.

For all of hainsey's warts he has paid his contract in full. he did a lot better and to some point helped Rielly, I think it was more that hes been a defensive stalwart allowing rielly to be offensive minded because 90% of the time hainsey is a defensive first guy.

no one expected hainsey to be a top 2 . more of a bottom pair. but hes been great. I would like if they gave him a few days to rest before the playoffs if we can clinch with a few games left

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
NJ playing really desperate hockey...they want the playoffs...came back to beat Carolina 4-3..."your move, Florida!"

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Hall Mcdavid Eberle
Tkatchuk Draisaitl Barzal
Maroon RNH Khaira
----- ----- Kassian

My god Chia must have trouble sleeping.

Sure Defense is important... but who needs it...if the other team doesn't have the puck.

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
This jets bruins game is ridiculous.

Bruins make it 3-2 on a PP goal (Winnipeg took a major penalty) which Winnipeg challenges for offside, and they lose (even though it sure looked offside)

Bruins get a 2 man advantage off the penalty for the challenge, tie it 3-3.

Jets come back on that same PP and make it 4-3 shorthanded. And it’s scored by Brandon Tanev, for a hat trick.

member 262271

And 4-4, power play goal for the Bruins, who just don't go away apparently.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
And 4-4, power play goal for the Bruins, who just don't go away apparently.
nope winnipeg is taking way to many penalties lol. they are for sure a rough team, I can see winnipeg coming out of the west they are a heavy team with loads of skill, just gotta stay outta the box.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
nope winnipeg is taking way to many penalties lol. they are for sure a rough team, I can see winnipeg coming out of the west they are a heavy team with loads of skill, just gotta stay outta the box.
I can too as much as I hate it. I don't think there's a team in the West that can match up with them and Nashville over 7 games. Too much depth and elite talent on both.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
I can too as much as I hate it. I don't think there's a team in the West that can match up with them and Nashville over 7 games. Too much depth and elite talent on both.
I agree, and to be honest if they played Nashville I will be hoping for Nashville lol.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Vanek has been lights out for the Jackets since the deadline, and is a big reason for their hot streak.

13 points in 13 games .. 6 or 7 goals now.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Can we possibly clinch tomorrow if we win and Philly loses in regulation? We would be at 99 points while Philly the most they would be able to get is 98 so they no longer can catch us if they fall into the WC.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Hall Mcdavid Eberle
Tkatchuk Draisaitl Barzal
Maroon RNH Khaira
----- ----- Kassian

My god Chia must have trouble sleeping.

Sure Defense is important... but who needs it...if the other team doesn't have the puck.

Not sure if they would have drafted Barzal, and Tkachuk would have been a great pick at #4...Pool-party remains to be seen for whether he's the right pick at #4 or not...but so far, not so good...Chiarelli really destroyed the team with those terrible, terrible trades...and that Lucic contract, ouch...he had probably set them back for a few years...Hall for Larsson? LOL...Shero bent him over for sure...funny thing is, the off-season after NJ traded Larsson, they signed a veteran defenseman for cheap (I don't recall who it was) to replace Larsson (a 20 point 2nd pairing defensive dman is not very hard to replace), then subsequently gave up only Henrique to the Ducks for Vatanen, who is a better d than Larsson...Henrique is almost a Nugent-Hopkins equivalent...and Hall is much better than both...then Eberle for Strome? LOL. And where the heck is Griffin Reinhart?

Value wise, that would be like trading Nylander, Brown, Marner, and Dermott for Adam Larsson, Ryan Strome and Griffin Reinhart. Where would we be if Lou did that? Yikes! Now, imagine if Edmonton could insert Nylander, Brown, Marner, and Dermott into the Oilers line-up minus Larsson and Strome (Reinhart is already AHL fodder). Holy cow!

The Oilers could have been one of the most potent offensive juggernauts, if not the most potent in the entire league, even with "only" McDavid, Hall, Draisaitl, and Eberle...add in a couple of solid support pieces and that's a worthy 1st and 2nd line, more than enough to make the playoffs year after year...and wow, if they had Tkatchuk and Barzal?! That's a dynasty in the making! Alas, they are currently only a one-line team. Too bad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad