Around the League: Second Round Starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Re: Jets - Just looked at their roster. 15 players are 25 years of age or less. We are certainly not the only team with good young roster despite what we espouse at times. There's quite a few of them actually.

There are. But the jets best players are 31 and 25. There top d is 33 and they sucked last year. There is a world of difference between 25 and 20. And they have had years of failure before. People have short memories

Laine - 19
Trouba - 24
Ehlers - 22
Hellebuyck - 24
Scheifele - 25
Connor - 21

That's a really good young core. I think I'll stick with the original point I made because its valid. The biggest difference between the Jets this year and last is goaltending.

It is. We aren’t the only team with good young players. There is a dramatic difference between a team being led by 20 year olds and a team with talented 20 year olds supporting them. Winnipeg is the best counterpart to Toronto but still not close in terms of young core leading the charge

You can say (spin) Winnipeg young core is just "supporting" the two old guys you are referring to (one of which is Scheifele presumably who is just 25), but I think that they are doing way more than just supporting their two good old guys. Is Andersen just supporting our vital, good, young guys, or is he a necessary piece? He is 28 btw. LOL.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
You can say (spin) Winnipeg young core is just "supporting" the two old guys you are referring to (one of which is Scheifele presumably who is just 25), but I think that they are doing way more than just supporting their two good old guys. Is Andersen just supporting our vital, good, young guys, or is he a necessary piece? He is 28 btw. LOL.

One. Goalies timelines are different. But we also have sparks.
I don’t think you get it. Winnipeg was “the leafs” about 4 years ago. They drafted Scheifele and trouba. Made the playoffs.... and flopped. Last year. Flop. They have lost and now look good, but are only up 1 game on minny. Anything can happen.

Take Wheeler, scheif and buff and put them on the leafs. Take jvr, bozak and Who Z? And put them on the jets..... totally different story.

Pastrnak and mcavoy look great. Take Bergeron and Marchand and Chara away and how well do you think they would be. Doing in the playoffs. Mentoring matters.

They are on a team with a bunch to prove. The vets are leading the charge. You can star on a secondary role and Learn to excel way easier than being the focal point from the start.

Dats and z were insulated. Getz and perry had a hof d and Selanne.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I don’t think you get it.

Oh, I get it. But more importantly, I think this has runs its course & its time to move on. The only point I was making is that several (many) teams have good/great young players.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Oh, I get it. But more importantly, I think this has runs its course & its time to move on. The only point I was making is that several (many) teams have good/great young players.

Agreed. And none of them are leading the charge for their teams and are being mentored in secondary roles. Our next batch will be able to do the same.

Ps. “I don’t think you get it” may have come off as condescending. Not my intent. My apologies

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Re: Jets - Just looked at their roster. 15 players are 25 years of age or less. We are certainly not the only team with good young roster despite what we espouse at times. There's quite a few of them actually.
Yeah. I consider Jets the gold standard for up and coming teams. They are a stronger, more well-rounded team than us, and they have better incoming talent.

Reactions: weems and Pi

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
So yeah...am I the only Hedman should get a penalty or something for hitting someone between the legs with his stick? That has to be against the rules somewhere.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
That's a good question. Another good question (possibly an even better one) is why don't we have a center within our system that could jump into the 4C position? Seems odd for a team that supposedly (league leading according to some) has a deep pool of prospects.

C is the one weakness in our pipeline. Our strengths were on the wing and on D - and you can see how well Kapanen/Johnsson and Dermott have looked. Imo, our two best prospects (Timmy and Grundstrom) are both about a year away.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Ducks are down 3-0 after being a vernier meltdown away from the finals last year. This is a hard league. People here expecting so much are nuts. “It’s a mistake to trade a 2 for a chance to win” unless you win a cup

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Ducks are down 3-0 after being a vernier meltdown away from the finals last year. This is a hard league. People here expecting so much are nuts. “It’s a mistake to trade a 2 for a chance to win” unless you win a cup

I thought they had the best defensive core in the league? And they are super big and strong and bad and whatever else...

Huh...

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I thought they had the best defensive core in the league? And they are super big and strong and bad and whatever else...

Huh...
Evander Kane has really helped their scoring depth, he's been on a huge run since he's joined them. Maybe He's the guy to finally put them over the top?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

I also think it is a waste of money to buy a lottery ticket unless you win.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Evander Kane has really helped their scoring depth, he's been on a huge run since he's joined them. Maybe He's the guy to finally put them over the top?

Kane needed to grow up, but maybe he also needed a team with leadership. Jets no playoffs while he was there, and Buffalo has been a disaster for years. Byfuglien throwing his clothes in the shower is showing real maturity and leadership!

In San Jose all he has to do is follow and produce. I'm guessing this rental turns permanent.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yeah. I consider Jets the gold standard for up and coming teams. They are a stronger, more well-rounded team than us, and they have better incoming talent.

Leafs are the more attractive destination for FAs so perhaps we can use that route to close the gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->