GDT: Around the League | 22-23 III AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
1687224608451.jpeg

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
The last time there was an all Canadian cup final was 1986 (Flames vs Canadiens) That's a full 8 years before I was born. While I don't exactly like a lot of the other Canadian teams that's an incredibly sad reality when you consider that we were the nation that invented the sport.

As others have said, Canadian teams have a serious disadvantage. I don't blame all the players for wanting to play in American cities but man... It sure makes a problem that will never be fixed. I won't be shocked if a Canadian team never wins again. The NHL is an American leauge now. It's really too bad but I guess there's more to life than hockey and at the end of the day it's not important. Gonna be really hard for me to watch games next year. We can go 82-0, McDavid can score 80 goals but the regular season doesn't matter. A certain team in Boston taught us that.
Calgary beat the Canadiens in 1989 in the finals.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Potential Hall of Famers list: Top contenders for 2023 Hockey Hall of Fame class: Lundqvist, Mogilny and more

Seems like a hall of pretty good players to me. Mogilny is overdue but players like Bouwmeester, Byfuglien, Crawford, Markov, Green? I don't see any establishing themselves with HOF careers. Thoughts??
Markov might be a decent choice. The rest I think are significant stretches. People complain about Glenn Anderson. He is far more deserving than the rest.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Markov might be a decent choice. The rest I think are significant stretches. People complain about Glenn Anderson. He is far more deserving than the rest.
People complaining about Anderson must not have watched him play in playoff hockey. Big game player, six Cups across two teams including arguably the best team in NHL history. I've quibbled about a few Hall of Fame nods like Carbonneau, Gillies, and even Kevin Lowe. But winning Cup is a significant team achievement and seems to tip some consideration of players.

Markov I don't think is near the required bar. Seabrook maybe will get later consideration as a top pair on two Cup champions, U20 Gold Medal, Olympic Gold. Keith will be a no doubter when his eligibility comes up. But agree I don't see a lot on that list.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
People complaining about Anderson must not have watched him play in playoff hockey. Big game player, six Cups across two teams including arguably the best team in NHL history. I've quibbled about a few Hall of Fame nods like Carbonneau, Gillies, and even Kevin Lowe. But winning Cup is a significant team achievement and seems to tip some consideration of players.

Markov I don't think is near the required bar. Seabrook maybe will get later consideration as a top pair on two Cup champions, U20 Gold Medal, Olympic Gold. Keith will be a no doubter when his eligibility comes up. But agree I don't see a lot on that list.
No kidding about Anderson. Some guys get significant recognition because they were "on" a cup winning team or 2, and played 4th line minutes. Not that that's anything to sneer at, but Andy played a huge role on so many of those cup winning teams, scoring big goal after big goal. He also had some pretty large regular seasons, although when you're stacked up against Gretzky, Coffey, Kurri, Mess, it's a lot tougher to get noticed. But when he played, if there was one guy on the team that I'd pick to get the big goal or the OT winner, it would be him. He totally deserves to be in the HOF with the rest.

And I also agree on most if not all of the other names. Pretty weak case for them, IMHO, but the hall seems to be letting some people in the last few years, that I don't think should be in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad