Around the League 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
@Tom: mine eyes! Dey bleed! :laugh:

That was horrible. As an Animation guy, it really hurts to watch that.

What was the worst part? The exit from the water? The approach to the City? The terrifying morph into half shark half hockey players? or the cartoon sound effects clashing with what is clearly an attempt at some kind of realistic style.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Come on, it was still better than Sharknado. :laugh:

ian-ziering-great-white.jpg

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
good find. my favorite was "BORING MAN WALKS INTO BORING EMPTY CINEMA TO SEE BORING FILM"

Curiously, I've been that guy. Many decades ago, I went to the late showing at a local artsy-fartsy theatre here called Cinematheque. Don't remember what I went to see but it obviously wasn't very popular. I sat alone in there for the longest time and I expected at some point the theatre staff were going to pop in and say, listen we all kinda want to get out of here early tonight so could you just go home? Eventually, a few more people drifted in. I guess artsy types have to be fashionably late. :laugh:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Interesting list. Looks like we'd be number 1 if we re-signed Frolik.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
The Sedins don't rate as stars anymore? Not even 5th tier?

Edit - for the Jets:
Tier 1: Wheeler
Tier 2: Scheifele, Byfuglien
Tier 3: Laine, Trouba
Tier 4: Ehlers

Edit: Also, sign Jagr, Chevy! ;)

The impression I would get (league wide) in terms of stars is to flip Laine and Wheeler.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The impression I would get (league wide) in terms of stars is to flip Laine and Wheeler.

The article author used Game Score to rank all the players in the league - it's not actually based on perception of who's a star, but who's contributing positively to the team's success.

Player Game Score = (0.75 * G) + (0.7 * A1) + (0.55 * A2) + (0.075 * SOG) + (0.05 * BLK) + (0.15 * PD) – (0.15 * PT) + (0.01 * FOW) – (0.01 * FOL) + (0.05 * CF) – (0.05 * CA) + (0.15 * GF) – (0.15* GA)

https://hockey-graphs.com/2016/07/1...e-productivity-an-introduction-to-game-score/

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
BTW I don't think the Olympics is a really a huge issue. You have misunderstood me. What has been reported is that the way the NHL treated the PA woke players up and they are much more engaged in union affairs. They are more militant and more likely to reopen the CBA. They are more likely to take a harder line. The chances of another lockout are greater.

This is what I was talking about with the Olympics as an issue.

I think we are close to 100% for sure going to see a work stoppage.
The main issue being is that every one "negotiates" in the same bull headed way. They've all been taught the same tactics and we the fans will pay the price. Assume a December or January start in 2020/21.

Which is just crap.

Winnipeg more than just about anyone was hurt by the last one. The lockout was the equivalent of cheating on your honeymoon. The atmosphere took a noticeable hit after the break. Yes the magic of Year 1 was not going to last forever. But I think the dramatic drop off was much steeper because of the lockout.
I could feel it myself, a bit more of a "show me / do something" attitude.

That giant bar across the street from the rink went belly up.
Lots of ripple effect problems that will have no bearing on these negotiations. No fans = no leagues period.

In terms of Trouba.
I think he will wait until after next season to sign his next contract.
Him and Overcharge will want another year of big minute data.
The only way he extends this summer is we severely over pay.

They are looking for as much money as they can get.
Since he can get that money from any team in a few years I don't see him committing to a new contract this summer.

The Jets making a run in the playoffs may be the only thing that helps are case.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
BTW I don't think the olympics is a really a huge issue. You have misunderstood me. What has been reported is that the way the NHL treated the PA woke players up and they are much more engaged in union affairs. They are more militant and more likely to reopen the CBA. They are more likely to take a harder line. The chances of another lockout are greater.

This is what I was talkjng about with the olympics as an issue.

Fair enough. I doubt it has that effect. People tend to have short memories for issues of principle. Well see in 3 years.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Last time we had just got our team back and I REALLY missed the hockey......next time I will just keep the cash I would have otherwise spent on the NHL and repurpose it to other options. I will miss it but not like last time and the Owners and players will all be out the cash from me and every other ticket buyer.

Their loss not mine.....don't let the door hit your ass on the way out and I'll see you in time for the second half and the playoffs.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Just to be clear, which is the potential lockout season? 2019-20 or 2020-21?

The opt out would cause the CBA to expire on sept 15 2020.

Either side can opt out but they need to give aprx 1 yr notice.

The league can give notice of opt out on sept 1 2019.

If the league doesn't the players can opt out sept 19 2019.

If neither side opts out the CBA will expire on sept 15 2022.

Actually the way it's written the CBA is written it continues on forever until one side gives notice. But nobody expects that to happen.

IMG_3410.jpg

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
The opt out would cause the CBA to expire on sept 15 2020.

Either side can opt out but they need to give aprx 1 yr notice.

The league can give notice of opt out on sept 1 2019.

If the league doesn't the players can opt out sept 19 2019.

If neither side opts out the CBA will expire on sept 15 2022.

Actually the way it's written the CBA is written it continues on forever until one side gives notice. But nobody expects that to happen.

IMG_3410.jpg

Thanks, that confirms what I thought. With the assumption that there will be an opt out, I will have a very difficult decision to make come April 2020 when our group's TPA comes up for renewal. The thought of committing to this team for another 5 years, and paying out thousands of dollars to just sit in their bank account while potentially that entire first season goes by with no hockey... I'm not sure I can do that. It might be enough to make me walk away for good. WSO, RWB, Virtuosi kept us happily occupied during the winter months before the Jets returned, and I'm sure they could do so again. And I never once felt the urge to boo during their performances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad