Around the League 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
100% agree that he is a solid scoring winger on a team that lacks scoring. It seems like between some of the off ice stuff and Gally not being able to transition to centre the Habs may be bailing on him for the wrong reasons but who knows I am on the outside looking in really.

Not surprised they are trading him. Not surprised they couldn't trade him for a 1C, but Domi may not even be a top 6 player. If he is it will be as 2LW, not a C.

Is this Bergevin making another attempt at getting a C through the back door?

Galchenyuk should have been able to return a 2C, or a 2nd pair D. Better yet, just keep him. He is was still one of their better offensive players. This is just nuts.

I'm thinking we should try to take advantage of MB before Molson comes to his senses and fires him. But what would we want from them?

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
:laugh: I was going to suggest the same - but as a joke. That value is awful but not sure it is any worse than what they just did.

Petan is still a coin toss to make the NHL - in any capacity. Frenchie is not a C and is looking back at his 30th B'day. And a 2nd? Even a future one that might be a little higher. TBH, leave out the 2nd and I'd do that for 2 of their four 2nds.
i think that Frenchy and Petan's value is higher than what you do.
my post was a joke, but honestly, desperation triggers decisions that would work in our favour.
and when i look at it from a non-joking point of view, i honestly don't think that trade is that insane. MTL needs help. and fast. Frenchie can play centre. on MTL, he'd be a centre, for better or for worse.

Reactions: JetBlue420

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Not surprised they are trading him. Not surprised they couldn't trade him for a 1C, but Domi may not even be a top 6 player. If he is it will be as 2LW, not a C.

Is this Bergevin making another attempt at getting a C through the back door?

Galchenyuk should have been able to return a 2C, or a 2nd pair D. Better yet, just keep him. He is was still one of their better offensive players. This is just nuts.

I'm thinking we should try to take advantage of MB before Molson comes to his senses and fires him. But what would we want from them?
draft picks - now and future.
otherwise, their roster - and contract lengths - are pure diarrhea

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Montreal seems well positioned for a hard multi year tank in about 4 years.

Perhaps we can trade next year's first for a pair of second rounds this year

In a few years they will be able to trade price to a contender while retaining a bunch of salery.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
i think that Frenchy and Petan's value is higher than what you do.
my post was a joke, but honestly, desperation triggers decisions that would work in our favour.
and when i look at it from a non-joking point of view, i honestly don't think that trade is that insane. MTL needs help. and fast. Frenchie can play centre. on MTL, he'd be a centre, for better or for worse.

Well, Petan is still a coin toss. Perreault is over 30. And he is not a centre. When he tried to play C for us he was bad. Then he stated - more than once - that he preferred the freedom of playing wing, and he excelled there. Then it came out that taking FO's was hard on his back. If he played C in Mtl it would not be for long. He really just is not a C anymore.

He is a very good player though and probably rates a mid>late 1st on his own. But the rest of that doesn't get it up to 3OA territory, IMO. If Perreault could play C effectively it might not be that far fetched. But he can't. Of course ..... we don't have to tell Bergevin that. :naughty:

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
draft picks - now and future.
otherwise, their roster - and contract lengths - are pure diarrhea

Yeah, that Price deal was a surprise at the time. Looks a lot worse after the season he just had. They probably could have traded him for a lot before that season and without that contract. Would have made more sense and started their rebuild.

As it is now they should tear it down. Grab all the futures they can and try to dump the Price contract. If he has a good season next year and they retain some it might be moveable.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I think Galchenyuk for Domi was an even trade. Galchenyuk's value around the league is low and by many accounts the bridge between him and the Habs has been burnt so I don't think he had any intention to re-sign there at the end of his current deal. Bergevin did okay all things considered. One thing not being discussed is why was Arizona so eager to move Domi? While his production hasn't been elite, he still looks like a decent player who can play on your 2nd line or in a middle-6 role at worst. I wonder if there is more to the story there.

Reactions: Maukkis

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think Galchenyuk for Domi was an even trade. Galchenyuk's value around the league is low and by many accounts the bridge between him and the Habs has been burnt so I don't think he had any intention to re-sign there at the end of his current deal. Bergevin did okay all things considered. One thing not being discussed is why was Arizona so eager to move Domi? While his production hasn't been elite, he still looks like a decent player who can play on your 2nd line or in a middle-6 role at worst. I wonder if there is more to the story there.

Actually their ppg over the last 3 years is a lot closer than I thought it would be, .619 for Galch and .608 for Domi. Big difference in goals though, 12 goals per season vs 22 goals per season.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Chayka's comments made it seem like they want to try out Galchenyuk at C and Domi was a fail at C in the NHL. MTL didn't think much of Galchenyuk as a C obviously (look at Bergevin's comments post-trade, kind of shits on Galchenyuk) . I think Galchenyuk will do well in Arizona.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Chayka's comments made it seem like they want to try out Galchenyuk at C and Domi was a fail at C in the NHL. MTL didn't think much of Galchenyuk as a C obviously (look at Bergevin's comments post-trade, kind of ****s on Galchenyuk) . I think Galchenyuk will do well in Arizona.

With Keller, Stepan and Dvorak where do Yotes need a C? Is Dvorak going to be a winger? Or Keller? Keller is pretty small to play C in the NHL. Maybe he is better on a wing.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
With Keller, Stepan and Dvorak where do Yotes need a C? Is Dvorak going to be a winger? Or Keller? Keller is pretty small to play C in the NHL. Maybe he is better on a wing.

Keller plays wing. They do have Stepan, Galchenyuk, Dvorak, Strome and Krüger now, though. One of them will probably move to wing.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Keller plays wing. They do have Stepan, Galchenyuk, Dvorak, Strome and Krüger now, though. One of them will probably move to wing.

Based on his career to date I would think it would be Galchenyuk - but maybe Habs wanted instant 1C from him and gave up too quickly.

Strome only just turned 21 and shows promise. They could be solid down the middle.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I reckon Strome might be eased into the action by giving him a spot on someone's wing. Stepan-Galchenyuk-Dvorak-Kruger does not sound too bad.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

My guess is the run with Stepan - Gally - Strome - Kruger and Dvorak moves to the wing. My guess is something like..

Panik - Stepan - Keller
Perlini- Gally - Merkley
Dvorak - Strome - Fischer
Martinook - Kruger - Rinaldo

Merkley had a strong PPG showing in the AHL so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he makes their roster. Crouse is a dark horse to replace someone in the bottom 6. Steenbergen likely needs some time in the AHL but could find his way up on the Yotes with a strong start. LW Mike Bunting could also compete for a spot on their roster. A much better outlook then they have had for awhile but still a very young team without much of an identity. Managing to keep OEL is good as they have some decent young puck movers in POJ and Dineen coming into the AHL fold. Their longterm outlook is probably a bubble team at best but if Galchenyuk makes a strong move to center and breaks out they could really improve. Especially if he ends up playing with Perlini and Keller on an offensive line. Keller is crazy dynamic and probably already their best player. Strome is another dark horse for that team. Really so much depends on if guys breakout and they find an identity or if they struggle to develop any chemistry and remain a team without a strong leadership core.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

The Isles be like

Step 1: hire Lamoriello
Step 2: watch everything falling into their place
Step 3: ???
Step 4: profit

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
iFrenchie can play centre. on MTL, he'd be a centre, for better or for worse.

It would be worse. Taking face-offs aggravates an existing injury. The organization & Perreault himself have said as much.

People really need to stop suggesting Frenchie can play centre full time. The occasional fill in during an injury sure, but his career as a centre has been over for some time now.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It would be worse. Taking face-offs aggravates an existing injury. The organization & Perreault himself have said as much.

People really need to stop suggesting Frenchie can play centre full time. The occasional fill in during an injury sure, but his career as a centre has been over for some time now.
Ssshhh... Don't let Bergevin know. I think he just traded for Domi to be his #1 C.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Trotz resigns with the Caps, looks like we’re stuck with Mo for the time being!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad