Around the League 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetshockey

Nov 13, 2017
Noticed today that if the playoffs started today the second and third best teams in the east would play each other round one. They have to go back to 1v8 system. It would really bug me tho if we were 11th place in the West and have more points than a team in the east making playoffs.

Last edited:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Row...literally stands for regulation and overtime wins. It only excludes shootouts

So that is the meaning of row :)

I never really put my mind into looking into it before as our JETS are always out of the playoffs before by FEB :laugh:

Thanks again. I learned something new today.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Noticed today that if the playoffs started today the second and third best teams in the east would play each other round one. They have to go back to 1v8 system.

Wait for the final standings to unfold. Most teams have games in hand on the Leafs

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Looks like his hip hit the angle of the door. That doesn't feel good, but it's better than going straight on back first.

Yes, looks like it could have been worse.

These incidents have been happening since somebody first thought to put boards around the rink to prevent the pucks from getting lost in the snow banks. You'd think that by now they could have improved the design of the doors. I don't claim to know how but put a couple of smart engineers on it.

Reactions: jets2020champs

jets2020champs

Nov 6, 2016
Canada
Yes, looks like it could have been worse.

These incidents have been happening since somebody first thought to put boards around the rink to prevent the pucks from getting lost in the snow banks. You'd think that by now they could have improved the design of the doors. I don't claim to know how but put a couple of smart engineers on it.

The problem with the swinging doors is that players (entering/sitting/and sometimes existing) have to manoeuvre around it. I would suggest sliding doors with hydraulics. The doors would split in the middle and slide in the opposite direction. Without the door being in the way, players manoeuvrability would be quicker. And on the odd chance of a player collision, the doors would slide to slow down the impact. If someone can see any flaws to this idea, bring it up and we can all tweak it. Let’s get a patent and try it out with the AHL Moose. LOL

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The problem with the swinging doors is that players (entering/sitting/and sometimes existing) have to manoeuvre around it. I would suggest sliding doors with hydraulics. The doors would split in the middle and slide in the opposite direction. Without the door being in the way, players manoeuvrability would be quicker. And on the odd chance of a player collision, the doors would slide to slow down the impact. If someone can see any flaws to this idea, bring it up and we can all tweak it. Let’s get a patent and try it out with the AHL Moose. LOL

Good start. :thumbu:
I thought of some kind of breakaway frame to reduce the damage to players (at the cost of increased damage to the doors). I like your idea better.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
But the problem with sliding doors is that they have to slide somewhere - so to maintain the smooth continuity of the boards, they'd have to shift in or out to open (probably in because out causes more problems with boardline continuity when the doors are open). I suppose you could have the door drop down into a cavity below the boards without shifting in or out - not sure if there would be a concern with icemaking equipment or pipes down there. This would have to be a robust system that could handle players stepping on it - and there'd have to be some safety mechanisms so the door doesn't fly up and nutpunch a guy getting off the ice (or suddenly drop down when someone's leaning on it in a board battle). Also limbs/fingers getting caught, etc. And if you've got sensors to prevent that, they could get screwed up and then the door is permanently down. Probably all too much trouble to be worth the benefit of these rare injuries.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
But the problem with sliding doors is that they have to slide somewhere - so to maintain the smooth continuity of the boards, they'd have to shift in or out to open (probably in because out causes more problems with boardline continuity when the doors are open). I suppose you could have the door drop down into a cavity below the boards without shifting in or out - not sure if there would be a concern with icemaking equipment or pipes down there. This would have to be a robust system that could handle players stepping on it - and there'd have to be some safety mechanisms so the door doesn't fly up and nutpunch a guy getting off the ice (or suddenly drop down when someone's leaning on it in a board battle). Also limbs/fingers getting caught, etc. And if you've got sensors to prevent that, they could get screwed up and then the door is permanently down. Probably all too much trouble to be worth the benefit of these rare injuries.

Think you are making it too complex. A sliding mechanism that first draws the door in 2" before sliding to the side shouldn't be too difficult. It would have to be robust but I think simple is also a must. It needs to open and close fairly quickly too.

jets2020champs

Nov 6, 2016
Canada

I was thinking like mini van sliding doors. The railings would push in to open and slide on the inside. And pushes out to be flush with the boards when closing. Each player can carry their on key fob. (Soccer moms, LOL).

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Not used to seeing such detail about an NHL injury. Same quote run through the PoMo Injury Report Translator yields the following: "LBI/UBI, day to day."

Looked nasty, glad he's okay. Wonder how it'll affect his Calder chances.

This was extremely big new here in Vancouver. I think that's the reason for the detail.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Not used to seeing such detail about an NHL injury. Same quote run through the PoMo Injury Report Translator yields the following: "LBI/UBI, day to day."

It was going to Barzal anyways minus a ridiculous run. Boeser's pace has slowed and Barzal is playing the harder position and putting up a better PPG.

Reactions: bustamente

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

Sounds like he was shut down for the season, though.

Hence the candor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad