Around the League 2017-18 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

quickfeet

Dec 6, 2017
This number seemed so absurd that I actually had to check his player profile. 73 + 13 + 22 does add up to 108, so that number seems plausible.

It's absolutely ridiculous though, there's no reason why Talbot should play that much. No wonder his numbers have been "bad", the guy desperately needs to get a break.
He played so much last season because if he sat for a game or two he would play terrible. He would only perform well if he was overplayed.
So Oilers just kept playing him and he covered up all of the Oilers deficiencies last season and they had their playoff run.
This season they fell back to reality.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Tkachuk hearing. He is closing a dangerous teritory.

Whatever people say about him, I can`t deny I would like him on our team, just maybe without stupid suspensions

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I was ridiculed in the offseason on the main boards for saying Kopitar was a better played than Backstrom and Matthews still despite the down year. He’s one point off 3rd in scoring and the Selke favorite right now. I hate being right when I say good things about Kings players!

Reactions: PuckTenderizingMeat

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
With Ottawa playing badly and possibly going into rebuild (just rumors so far) I looked into what they have that could interest the Ducks. Turns out, not much. Now I feel bad for them looking at their lineup and contracts. Mark Stone is only one interesting as a rental but he would be costly for sure. Bobby Ryan just has to be bought out at some point.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
Just saw "Las Vegas Aces" trending on the old twitter machine because it's the name of a WNBA team that is starting up there soon. I like the Golden Knights team but man they really blew it by not choosing "Aces" as their name and now the WNBA has it.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Just saw "Las Vegas Aces" trending on the old twitter machine because it's the name of a WNBA team that is starting up there soon. I like the Golden Knights team but man they really blew it by not choosing "Aces" as their name and now the WNBA has it.

I thought they couldn't name the team after anything gamling relating or do I remember incorrectly?

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
I thought they couldn't name the team after anything gamling relating or do I remember incorrectly?

Yeah that was a stipulation but Aces had the double meaning as a reference to the air force base so it was, IMO, not a direct gambling reference such as calling themselves the "Gamblers" or the Dealers" etc etc.

I take your point though, and should probably be lol'ing at Bettman and the NHL instead.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
This number seemed so absurd that I actually had to check his player profile. 73 + 13 + 22 does add up to 108, so that number seems plausible.

It's absolutely ridiculous though, there's no reason why Talbot should play that much. No wonder his numbers have been "bad", the guy desperately needs to get a break.
The Oilers were so desperate to make the playoffs they didn't care if they overworked Talbot, now their paying the price for it & they could have signed a backup goalie like Miller to take the workload off of Talbot this year but didn't.

If Talbot continues trending this way he'll be run out of town in Edmonton & then have a breakout year in Minnesota putting up a .936 SV% like Dubnyk's first year in Minnesota.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
With Ottawa playing badly and possibly going into rebuild (just rumors so far) I looked into what they have that could interest the Ducks. Turns out, not much. Now I feel bad for them looking at their lineup and contracts. Mark Stone is only one interesting as a rental but he would be costly for sure. Bobby Ryan just has to be bought out at some point.

Ottawa needs a massive rebuild, trade Karlsson while they still can & then trade Hoffman, Duchene etc.
Craig Anderson is 36, unlikely he returns to form next year unless its as a backup, their window slammed shut on them this year.
Yeah Bobby Ryan needs to be bought out after next season or this one. Bobby Ryan has almost nothing left in the tank like how it was for Cheecho in Ottawa.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Yeah that was a stipulation but Aces had the double meaning as a reference to the air force base so it was, IMO, not a direct gambling reference such as calling themselves the "Gamblers" or the Dealers" etc etc.

I take your point though, and should probably be lol'ing at Bettman and the NHL instead.

Aces would have been a better name for sure. Like what is a golden knight?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Aces would have been a better name for sure. Like what is a golden knight?
I suggest seeing ''Austin Powers in Goldmember'' to understand what it is about

Aces would be really good name, but wasn`t there something about gambling/illegal? Something like that?

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I'm just thinking about knights in golden armor, just like their logo suggests. I mean that would be pretty impractical armor made out of gold.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I'm just thinking about knights in golden armor, just like their logo suggests. I mean that would be pretty impractical armor made out of gold.

86fbec9b0f7c7d032fc7db815ce3e43c--barristan-selmy-game-of-thrones-series.jpg

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland

You do realize that that is a fantasy show? A real armor made out of gold (entirely) would be too heavy wear and gold doesn't protect very well as it is quite soft. Sure it could be used to decorate an armor but that's it.

I think we are getting a bit offtopic here.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
You do realize that that is a fantasy show? A real armor made out of gold (entirely) would be too heavy wear and gold doesn't protect very well as it is quite soft. Sure it could be used to decorate an armor but that's it.

I think we are getting a bit offtopic here.

The Las Vegas Gold Plated Knights? The Las Vegas Golden Accessorized Knights?

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Remember that streak Martin Jones was on earlier this year ? His SV% has come down to earth at .914%, there was no way he was going to be at .930+ at the seasons end. He's had a brutal december so far like i expected lol.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Vegas wins again. We're almost half way into the season and they are still one of the top teams in the league. I think Vegas makes the playoffs. I knew they wouldn't be bottom feeders like a lot thought, but I did figure their weakish D group and rookie goalies would keep them from being this good for so long. I hope their success doesn't make it harder for us to make the playoffs.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
Vegas wins again. We're almost half way into the season and they are still one of the top teams in the league. I think Vegas makes the playoffs. I knew they wouldn't be bottom feeders like a lot thought, but I did figure their weakish D group and rookie goalies would keep them from being this good for so long. I hope their success doesn't make it harder for us to make the playoffs.

They are not going away. Wouldn't surprise me if they actually burn a few assets and are buyers at the deadline. In fact I am kind of expecting it at this point since they seem poised to make a run.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I think it's great how well Vegas is doing. It would be great to see them make the playoffs. But I have my doubts how much buying they would potentially do at the deadline. They're not a serious cup contender this year. Making the playoffs would be a nice bonus, but their long term plan is building to be a legitimate cup contender. I don't see them buying more than a depth veteran for a late round pick, if that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->