Around the League - 2015-2016 (Part VI - Playoff Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Continued from here: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2008769

Here are some posts from the last thread to get us going:

There is no way we're outtanking the Leafs.

Removing Polak might actually improve their D.

Sharks have gone full ****** mode.

This won't be their last tank move and it's already their second one. I expect them to end the season with a crazy amount of losses after the TD. The Jets won't do more besides trading Ladd and even that isn't sure at all.

Wow. That is nice.

Toronto could have a real quick turn-around here *if* they manage to land #1 overall and snag Matthews, sign Stamkos. These are real possibilities, I think. Add in Rielly, Gardiner, Nylander, Marner, Kapanen, etc.. and all of a sudden they have some pretty nice pieces and a good start to their rebuild going forward. Obviously a lot needs to fall in place but this could be what they're shooting and hoping for..

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Agreed, but as we've seen in Oiler Country, a great offense isn't much without the defense. They already have 2 great pieces in Reilly and Gardiner, but they're not enough.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I was bored so I roamed around other teams boards in case I find something entertaining or funny. I was lucky on the Oilers board.

Where do you put the rage?

Funny, sad, entertaining, melancholic - it has everything. :laugh:

A couple of teasers:

Watch UFC, pretend the guy losing is Lowe/MacT/Howson/Katz/Jultz

Less time watching the Oilers has resulted in less rage in general.
Instead I cook a lot more. I joined a pool league. I watch A&E.

Making fun of the team and predicting how they'll botch things helps as well.

It feels somewhat good when you correctly predict how they'll lose a game.

...Almost.

Take it out on the wife and kids ofcourse

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
well they aren't exactly looking to contend in the next 3 yrs

What the leafs are doing is brilliant and 100% opposite of how the Oilers have approached it.

Last season the Leafs landed Marner and missed out on the big two which probably stung a bit......BUT......and here is the key.....they drafted twice in the second round and twice in the 3rd round. So you add the trade today and we know the leafs have added additional 2nd round picks in the next two drafts.

The Leafs are running a duel approach rebuild. On the one hand they are allowing themselves to bottom out to get a high quality first round pick. However the genius is they have a second track going which is adding additional high quality picks in each draft and they are doing it for low cost. This last part is exactly what I would like to see the Jets do. Target usable rentals that we can flip at the deadline, trade down if need be, be much more aggressive sellers in general. The Jets don't necessarily need to bottom out after this season but we need to be more aggressive in strategically adding additional picks IMO.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
What the leafs are doing is brilliant and 100% opposite of how the Oilers have approached it.

Last season the Leafs landed Marner and missed out on the big two which probably stung a bit......BUT......and here is the key.....they drafted twice in the second round and twice in the 3rd round. So you add the trade today and we know the leafs have added additional 2nd round picks in the next two drafts.

The Leafs are running a duel approach rebuild. On the one hand they are allowing themselves to bottom out to get a high quality first round pick. However the genius is they have a second track going which is adding additional high quality picks in each draft and they are doing it for low cost. This last part is exactly what I would like to see the Jets do. Target usable rentals that we can flip at the deadline, trade down if need be, be much more aggressive sellers in general. The Jets don't necessarily need to bottom out after this season but we need to be more aggressive in strategically adding additional picks IMO.

Really envious of the leafs making all those smart trades. Tanking smartly. Sure they have a ways to go, but Lou is really doing his job there.

Meanwhile, here we sit talking..talking..doing nothing. Chevy can never decide whether we're in the now or if we're retooling. If Chevy doesn't get off his ass soon & do something, he's really got to go.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Really envious of the leafs making all those smart trades. Tanking smartly. Sure they have a ways to go, but Lou is really doing his job there.

Meanwhile, here we sit talking..talking..doing nothing. Chevy can never decide whether we're in the now or if we're retooling. If Chevy doesn't get off his ass soon & do something, he's really got to go.

I predict this trade deadline will be different and we will see the Jets being pretty aggressive.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I predict this trade deadline will be different and we will see the Jets being pretty aggressive.

I hope so. I wonder what management and Maurice are thinking here? because around the time when Maurice was brought on board (and you've talked about this before, ps) but it seemed that Chevy was trying to move out pieces and then when Maurice was brought on board he was given the time as an experienced coach to assess what we had, if they couldn't cut it then we'd make changes, etc. So I wonder how this group is viewed now, 2 years later. We did make the playoffs last year and looked quite promising, but it has since failed pretty miserably.

I wonder where things stand with this group with management and Maurice, and what they may or may not do headed forward..

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

This illustrates the problem with some of the contracts we have. The mistake wasn't necessarily signing Stu, Thor, Peluso. It was the term, especially for Stu. If we were filling the bottom of our roster with 1 year FAs we could flip them like Toronto is and pick them up again, the SAME guys as FAs.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Personally I think they only trade Ladd, but the return will be good. There are a bunch of other moves that they probably should be doing but won't.

Probably right but I wouldn't be too surprised if they also move Hutch. Postma and Burmi each have a year remaining so are less likely. Postma is cheap enough that the extra year might even be a good thing. So maybe he goes too. Unfortunately.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
The Leafs are just writing cheques to buy bad contracts and turn them into picks....Not sure many other organizations would be willing / able to buy draft picks for millions of dollars like this.

Good for them though if money is no object spend it !

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I hope so. I wonder what management and Maurice are thinking here? because around the time when Maurice was brought on board (and you've talked about this before, ps) but it seemed that Chevy was trying to move out pieces and then when Maurice was brought on board he was given the time as an experienced coach to assess what we had, if they couldn't cut it then we'd make changes, etc. So I wonder how this group is viewed now, 2 years later. We did make the playoffs last year and looked quite promising, but it has since failed pretty miserably.

I wonder where things stand with this group with management and Maurice, and what they may or may not do headed forward..

That's a lot of wondering :) but for good reason. The re-signing of Buff should tell us something. 7.6 AAV tells me they think they can turn it around pretty quickly. That doesn't mean they won't juggle the lineup quite a bit though. I just hope they make the right changes.

Nothing that Chevy has done to date has had the appearance of targeting a weak spot and fixing it. It has just been trying to acquire and retain good players, not always successfully. That may be fine for the thin organization he started with but at some point you have to get more specific.

We need to get rid of Stu.
We need 2 top 4 LHD. Morrissey may be one. We still need another
We need a 1C. Scheifele might be one but barely. I think we would all like a better one.
We need goaltending. I'm not prepared to call that 'mission accomplished' until Pav is gone and his replacement is established. Helle and Comrie look like doing that but it is not done yet.

I don't know if Chevy will focus on any or all of those things or will he continue trying to upgrade the roster randomly? I don't think random works. I hope he focuses.

Bwadlay

Feb 22, 2016
Looks like Chevy runs the team the way I studied in college..."Hope & Pray" method

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The Leafs are just writing cheques to buy bad contracts and turn them into picks....Not sure many other organizations would be willing / able to buy draft picks for millions of dollars like this.

Good for them though if money is no object spend it !

These are mostly cheap FAs they picked up. It is only money that they had to spend anyway. There is a minimum roster they are required to have. Those are very cheap picks. There will be less of that going forward as they bring up prospects.

I think the focus for them this year has been clearing cap space. They are not done yet but at least they can take a breath now.

They currently have ~25.6 mil on IR! That includes Horton. They still have a lot of cap shedding to do.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
That's a lot of wondering :) but for good reason. The re-signing of Buff should tell us something. 7.6 AAV tells me they think they can turn it around pretty quickly. That doesn't mean they won't juggle the lineup quite a bit though. I just hope they make the right changes.

Nothing that Chevy has done to date has had the appearance of targeting a weak spot and fixing it. It has just been trying to acquire and retain good players, not always successfully. That may be fine for the thin organization he started with but at some point you have to get more specific.

We need to get rid of Stu.
We need 2 top 4 LHD. Morrissey may be one. We still need another
We need a 1C. Scheifele might be one but barely. I think we would all like a better one.
We need goaltending. I'm not prepared to call that 'mission accomplished' until Pav is gone and his replacement is established. Helle and Comrie look like doing that but it is not done yet.

I don't know if Chevy will focus on any or all of those things or will he continue trying to upgrade the roster randomly? I don't think random works. I hope he focuses.

I completely agree with you. For the last 5 years it seems all we have done is fix one area/add a piece here or there, but leave another area or two or three in need of fixing. It never really accomplishes anything.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I have to admit I am 100% guessing when I say I think they will get a bit more aggressive at this TD but that is what my instincts are telling me. We are clearly sellers and that hasn't happened for a few seasons.

As to where they are at, well that is really the million dollar question? Claude was canned and Mo was brought in which avoided a core sell off and the team had a very good run under Paul up to the 2015-16. This has been a really tough season and the honeymoon if over and I don't think Chevy will squander the opportunity it is presenting. I am probably wrong but I feel a Kane-Bogosion lite moment brewing.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Perhaps the Jets management feels like this team is like the Flyers in 2006/07? They had a good year coming out of the lockout (100+ points), and then a disaster year the next, where they picked up JVR 2nd overall. Then they were back in the playoffs the next season.

I don't think the objective is to truly rebuild by shipping everyone out - I think they're going to take the bad pick and think that the team bounces back next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->