Around the League '16-'17 Other Teams' Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
With a contract that can't be done anymore. If that same $58m is spread out over 8 years, it's a $7.25m cap hit. Not as bad as Price, but not as good as it looks in comparison either.

Montreal had little choice. They weren't going to lose another high profile goalie. Look what happened the last time they did it. A couple years after Roy, they missed the playoffs in 3 straight seasons, only the 2nd time in franchise history that ever happened, the first being from 1920 to 1922. Damned whatever they did. Don't sign him, and you're an incompetent organization that can't keep your own guys. Sign him, and you're an incompetent organization that gives out bad contracts.

Actually, you want a competent organization which can do an honest self evaluation and determine if the team will contend while paying Carey Price such a high cap hit over the next 4 to 5 years.

Also wouldn't hurt to have developed a younger goaltender along the way. They weren't damned no matter what they did. They should have looked at their division and done a realistic assessment of their ability to advance past the first or second round of the playoffs.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Regarding Duchene, I would wager Sakic has much better offers than any the Kings can make.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
He would be behind Carter and Kopi. Don't need him to be shut down. Gives LA three potent lines.

Except he's not a 3rd line center, you'd be wasting his talent there, he needs top 6 finishers and minutes. And for what it would cost, that would never happen. He'd be the 2C w/Carter on wing. And he's young enough to be part of their future, if they went that route, which is doubtful.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
What are the tradeable options around the league for a 3C? Anyone decent?

That's been the target of several GM's, the inexpensive fit/upgrade for the 3rd line. I know the Wings are still trying to move Riley Sheahan, he's only 25 and I think will benefit from a change of address. Bozak isn't being resigned but he's pushing 32 and making 4M, so as much as I like him, I don't see that a good fit. Ideally, I'd like the Kings to get someone 25 or so, but that isn't easy.
Komarov is 30 and also on the way out in Toronto.
Kruger would have been a good fit, I think he's bit underated.
Maybe work a deal with the Bolts for Namestnikov

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I like the idea of Riley Sheahan as a 3C, but I think Detroit's asking price might be too steep. I don't think we have anything they would be interested in which wouldn't be over payment on the part of the Kings.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
First test for the Kings is Saturday 21st. That Jackets team is pretty good. They Hit and take away ice, also have good skilled lines 1-3.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
First test for the Kings is Saturday 21st. That Jackets team is pretty good. They Hit and take away ice, also have good skilled lines 1-3.

My pick to go the ECF, I think that much of them. And they have speed...they fly out there. Seth Jones, who I was already a fan of, has taken a real step (from what I've seen ) forward, really mature. And what a pairing with Werenski, who really is THAT good. Off to a great start.
Panarin has fit in great on the first line and Sonny Milano (2nd line) is a stud, he's got all the tools and is using them.
Very good young team on the rise.
And Bob has been dynamite.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Actually, you want a competent organization which can do an honest self evaluation and determine if the team will contend while paying Carey Price such a high cap hit over the next 4 to 5 years.

Also wouldn't hurt to have developed a younger goaltender along the way. They weren't damned no matter what they did. They should have looked at their division and done a realistic assessment of their ability to advance past the first or second round of the playoffs.

How many teams do that? Very few actively choose to suck. They'll rebuild if forced to. The vast majority will hold onto any hope of possibly being competitive. Even if they can only make the playoffs, or maybe win 1 round if everything goes their way. Which teams haven't done it that way? Lombardi tried getting Chara in his first summer here, days after trading Demitra. Ok, they're rebuilding. Oh, wait, they went after the big fish free agent. If they get him, do they have the 4th, 2nd, and 5th overall picks in the following 3 rebuilding years? In 2008, if you have Chara, you don't need Doughty, but in 2006, you don't know you'll be in a position to get Doughty in 2 years.

Maybe Montreal finishes in the bottom 5, maybe bottom 3 this year with Price. Not that they're trying to do that, but maybe it ends up that way. They get a top pick, whoever it may end up being, then they have him and Price in a couple years. Maybe that makes them a 3rd round team in 3 or 4 years. There's no way of knowing. You can make all the plans you want, but how often can a sports franchise honestly make a plan for 5 years from now? In June 2007, did anyone have the Kings winning in June 2012? No Doughty, took a risk with the 4th overall pick, nobody knew that Martinez would work out, nobody knew King would end up being better than Moller, nobody knew how good Simmonds would be, or that he would be traded, or who he would be traded for, or who he would be traded along with.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The odds of the Kings landing any UFA stars in the first few years of Lombardi's tenure were slim to none. Lombardi knew it, and there was some PR involved there as well. What did the Kings actually end up with in the UFA market? Handzus.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Mitchell worked out great for the Kings but he was not considered a "star" that offseason. If I remember right, he chose to sign with the Kings because they were the only team offering more than a one year deal.
Willie Mitchell signed with us because he was coming off a concussion and we were the only team to offer more then a year. My point of posting it was he was a hell of a lot better then Handzus

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
It would require cap dumping Gaborik's $4.875 million. Cammalleri's $1 million also comes off since he has a 1 year deal. $2 million or so cap increase for next year. Current space is $4.7.

Gives us around $12 million. Enough for $10 million on JT. $2 million more for our RFAs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->