Around the Dome II: Flames hockey-related news and notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Makes it look like maybe there will be less black on these ones?

The red kind of reminds of the red that's on the Stamps jerseys. If I'm not mistaken, the current Flames jerseys are a lighter shade of red, kind of orangey-red. This looks like a much stronger shade. And yes, hopefully less black overall.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The red kind of reminds of the red that's on the Stamps jerseys. If I'm not mistaken, the current Flames jerseys are a lighter shade of red, kind of orangey-red. This looks like a much stronger shade. And yes, hopefully less black overall.
I highly doubt the Flames will change their shade of red, I think it's just the photo.

The black collar is just in the shadows, no way to tell if there is less or not yet.

Aug 3, 2010
If Calgary omits yellow and goes with red/white/black they'll look like the Hurricanes. :(

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
- Treliving was asked about Backlund and said he was probably the best choice for team MVP last season. But, better than that, is what a great person Backlund is. His charity work is well known, but Treliving told a story about how the players get provided meals after each game. Well, one game Treliving stayed late and dropped into the dressing room and saw Backlund packing all the leftovers and unused food into takeout boxes and joked that they weren't paying him enough for him to feed himself at home. Turns out Backlund does this after each home game and makes a stop at the Drop-in Centre on his way home to drop off the unused food. What a terrific person Backlund is.
- Asked whether the priority was a #4 defenceman or a first-line RW: Of those, the #4 defenceman would take priority, but #1 priority is a starting goaltender. Mentioned that Gaudreau and Monahan have had terrific success as youngsters with a rotating cast of RWers so why spend big money there. Mentioned Ferland as someone who he thought meshed well with them.
- Doesn't think the Flames make the playoffs without Michael Stone. Joked that in contract negotiations, Stone/agent have brought up the 10-game winning streak that happened as soon as the Flames acquired him. Obviously a joke but read into "contract negotiations" if you will.
- Always looking to get bigger but it can't come at the expense of skill. When you're playing against McDavid or Crosby, size doesn't mean anything if you can't defend to begin with. Mentioned Brouwer as someone with size who can play as an example. (Really, Brad?!)
- Flames plan on drafting a goalie in the second or third round every second draft. This year they would have if they hadn't acquired Lazar/Stone, so next year they definitely will.
- Stockton was the second youngest team in the AHL and they intend to keep it a young team. Some AHL teams try to win, while the Flames' intention is to develop. Would rather a 20-year-old lose a key faceoff and get scored on than a 28-year-old journeyman win the draw and clear the puck. The youngster will learn and get better as a result. The Heat may struggle against the older teams as a result, but that's fine because they only want players on the Heat who they think could play for the Flames one day.
interesting stuff. some encouraging points, some.... less so

I, for one, wish they don't re-sign Stone.

I also see #1RW as more of a priority. It's not a matter of whether Gaudreau and Monahan can't score without one, but you want much more scoring for its own sake.

Aug 3, 2010
interesting stuff. some encouraging points, some.... less so

I, for one, wish they don't re-sign Stone.

I also see #1RW as more of a priority. It's not a matter of whether Gaudreau and Monahan can't score without one, but you want much more scoring for its own sake.
Any specific reasoning?

Stone at this point should be entering UFA to re-sign with Calgary post-Expansion. He might get paid an extra 500k for showing loyalty, and it seems he genuinely wants to be here. He pairs well enough with Brodie, too. Am I missing something?

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Any specific reasoning?

Stone at this point should be entering UFA to re-sign with Calgary post-Expansion. He might get paid an extra 500k for showing loyalty, and it seems he genuinely wants to be here. He pairs well enough with Brodie, too. Am I missing something?

1 - You get to keep a 5th. it's not worth much but having the late pick is preferable to not having the late pick.

2 - I'm a fancy stats person. Fancy stats paint a negative picture of Stone. Or at least, those I care about do.

3 - Even if I thought Stone was okay, we have to keep in mind we'll just keep spending more and more from now on. Backlund will be extended after this year. Maybe one or two prospects too, if they get an opportunities and make the best of it. No matter who's our starter next year, he won't be cheap the year after. While we can, I would rather do anything we can to acquire a very good dmen ASAP than pay 3/4 in term+AAV for someone who's ideally a #5-6.

4 - As a rule of thumbs, I think you should either pay in assets or cap for a very good player or try to find cheap undervalued players. I never saw a convincing justification for knowingly overpaying no matter the wording.

Extra long, somewhat offtopic note:
I don't think you're missing anything. Whenever someone's takes bewilder you, I believe it's more often than not about you and the other person being too different to engage in discussions, debates, whatever you call it.

Things change and so will people's focus. Who's the next player you'll want to show "loyalty" to? Who's the next trendy UFA you'll have no choice but overpay because of superficial "needs"? There's always an excuse to keep it simple and take the easy detour. There's always one or two positions of relative weakness. You can't have everything everyone else also want in competitions. It is a competition after all, so weaknesses and strengths are always relative to other competitors.

I'm not the type who tell others to accept flaws and problems as a permanent part of whatever they're trying to build. Quite the opposite, actually. This is more about people not letting their current emotional state or focus, if you prefer, drive them over their long-term mission; in this case, creating the #1 team out of 31.

Of course, none of this makes any sense to you. If traditionalists, for lack of better label, wish to knowingly overpay 500k because loyalty after ~25 games, it's easy to see we've fooled ourselves into thinking we're speaking in the same language (and I honestly don't mean this in an edgy snarky way), let alone understanding each others.

If someone says something that sounds ridiculous to you, you probably should ignore anything they have to say. That advice is easy to communicate and understand.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Flames official website posted this interview with Tre this morning:

https://www.nhl.com/flames/video/one-on-one-brad-treliving/c-52243003

Some talks, doesn't really tip his hand at much. Two things really from the interview:

1) They'd love to get more picks, I have a feeling that if one of their draft options is unavailable at 16, they will move back to get a 2nd rounder.
2) Mentions protecting players that they've spent assets acquiring. I think what that says is that Lazar will be protected on that list.

Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett, Backlund, Frolik, Lazar & Ferland
Brodie, Giordano, Hamilton

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I have to say, listening to NHL talk radio over the last week, it amazes me how little talk there is about the Flames having zero goalies at this point. Usually if they know there is going to be a move within a week, there is a great deal of speculation about what it will be.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Pretty much forces the Flames to go after Raanta or Grubauer as none of the other options are as appealing for one reason or the other.

I have to say, listening to NHL talk radio over the last week, it amazes me how little talk there is about the Flames having zero goalies at this point. Usually if they know there is going to be a move within a week, there is a great deal of speculation about what it will be.

Based on what Treliving said, it sounds like he's not planning on anything happening until after the expansion draft. If his targets were Fleury, Grubauer and Raanta, it makes sense as all of their respective organizations are using those players as bait.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Did you hear anything before they signed Elliott? Or Brouwer? What about the trade for Hamilton? It's no surprise at all that you've heard nothing, that's the MO of this management group. Don't fool yourself into thinking that means they haven't had extensive calls to everyone people are mentioning and more.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Did you hear anything before they signed Elliott? Or Brouwer? What about the trade for Hamilton? It's no surprise at all that you've heard nothing, that's the MO of this management group. Don't fool yourself into thinking that means they haven't had extensive calls to everyone people are mentioning and more.

No doubt. I'm talking purely about press coverage. Lots of talk about Montreal and Galchenyuk, lots of talk about Vegas and the expansion draft, tons of speculation about players who may be moved, but not a word about Calgary, a team with zero goalies to protect with the expansion draft right around the corner. It's odd given how little there usually is to talk about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->