Around the Dome II: Flames hockey-related news and notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
This is late but I just saw this. Apparently Gaudreau got tossed for a pretty nasty slash at the WHC. Not sure what caused him to do that

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
From what I heard, the officiating standard at the WHC was very different than the NHL, including the old slashing standards. Gaudreau was getting his hands hacked to pieces all tournament.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Poor Sam
81670oxvv0011.jpg

Stilen from reddit

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Some interesting tidbits from the CP poster (United) that attended the Season ticket holder event:
  • Andersson is the most ready and will compete for a job out of camp. Dominated the AHL for two seasons as one of the top defencemen in the league regardless of age, and possibly the best. As per past information, the only enemy of Andersson's is his own conditioning. Andersson took two weeks off at the end of his season and went back to Sweden, but moved to Calgary at the beginning of May to work with the Flames strength & conditioning and nutritional folks.
  • Valimaki will turn pro this season. No glaring weakness aside from experience. Will also push for a job in camp but is a bit behind Andersson - expects Valimaki will start in the minors but could play NHL games.
  • Klimchuk: At this point he probably will not become the scorer he was in junior or was drafted to be. However, Klimchuk has evolved his own game and become an excellent two-way player who thinks the game real well. Will make a push for a depth role in camp.
    - Shinkaruk: As an upcoming free agent, the Flames have to make a decision on him over the next month. No decision yet but will talk to the team's scouts. Shinkaruk is at the age where it's tough because younger players start passing you - this season may be his last shot at making it. Mentions Mangiapane, Lomberg, Hathaway, Foo by name as being ahead as of last season.
    - Poirier: A bit different than the others due to publicized personal issues, but, like Shinkaruk, is at the age where he needs to start making some noise or he'll be left behind in favor of younger prospects. Still thinks he can be an NHL player.
  • Bennett: Everyone, including Bennett himself, would now admit things have not gone as hoped. The nature of drafting players at the age they are drafted is development isn't linear, there are many ups and downs. The last two exit interviews with Bennett have been two of the lengthiest. In last season's exit interviews, Bennett was confident that if given a better role and more powerplay time he would perform better. In this season's exit interview, Bennett owned things and said he needs to be better and didn't perform in a way that forced the coach's hand. Treliving likes that Bennett is accountable to himself and realizes he needs to earn his spot up the lineup. The Flames still see Bennett as a top forward. Treliving says one thing that cannot be debated about Bennett is his effort and drive - some players get you to the playoffs, some players win you playoff games: Bennett is a guy you know will win you games.
  • Jankowski: They thought his game matured throughout the season and they see him as a centre in the NHL for many years to come.
  • In response to a fan questioning Giordano's leadership, Treliving disagrees. Giordano is a great leader and while when a team fails such as the Flames did Treliving understands every aspect is questioned, one thing that should not be questioned is Gio's leadership. Treliving further added that sometimes teams do have poor culture that needs repairing but insisted that despite the under-performance, the Flames really do have a good culture in the room and it's not a concern or priority.
  • Another fan referenced the four defensive prospects Treliving signed out earlier and asked what the long-term plan is to get them in the lineup given what we already have on defence. Treliving commented that playing in the league as a 19- or 20-year-old defenceman is extremely difficult and they don't want to do damage rushing anyone too early. That said, he lets everyone know that if their play dictates it, there is always ways to make room on the roster for younger players.
  • The Flames have their eye on a couple potential free agents for a right-wing spot but as they are still under contract, and for obvious reasons, would not mention names. Said they may re-sign with their current teams still. Again suggests that the biggest mistakes are made on July 1 in both salary and term.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
More from that same thread:

Couple things going off memory, as it has been mentioned Treliving talked about the young core. He mentioned the usual bunch, but at the end said he would throw in Brodie.

One of the amusing stories was when the team was out at the combine, Brady was outside the flames suite getting coached via FaceTime by Matt. Treliving interrupted them, but Matty was telling Brady what Treliving likes to hear and that Conroy likes to talk.

Regarding the new arena, pretty much hinted that there was a non disclosure agreement during the last round of discussions, but all sort of things came out. Said next negotiations will be in private, so pretty much admitting they are at the table or will be going.

Regarding the euro signing, I thought it was more along the lines that they hope to announce. So not signed sealed and delivered.

From a lot of the discussions hockey ops had they tinkered with their analytics.

Treliving also mentioned that Peters is a guy that does a lot based on merit. Doesn't care about contract, ice time will be earned. Also mentioned that people shouldn't get caught up on who goes to China, the players going over shouldn't be considered as making the team.

Pretty much my brain dump from the event.

One more thing on Bennett: Treliving mentioned that Bennett will work hard on playing less of a one-on-one game. Treliving specifically said he is not calling Bennett a selfish player, simply that sometimes he can look to use his teammates better. Again, no lack of drive or effort or attitude.

A few things from tonight that I remember...

- 3rd jerseys are coming, won't be black, and a fan liked the retro's and I believe KK said he would be happy

- Should have a euro FA signing in the next few days

- Gio a better leader than Doan in BT's eyes (fan questioned his leadership)

-Mentioned Foo, Rasmus, Mangiapane as guys that can take a spot in camp

-Sportsnet has 3 more years of exclusive broadcast rights of the Flames

-Vegas relying on speed, character and the fact they were all fired or not wanted

-Had leadership meetings in Banff after the season and analysed the entire organisation, players, scouting, drafting etc hinted player changes may come as they didn't find everyone fit the culture they are trying to establish

- BT said he wouldn't blame the season on GG, but spent a lot of time critiquing his leadership and strategy(ie this team is too young to lead themselves)

Most of the other stuff has been touched on that I remember.

Most notable statement that resonated with me was BT's statement on core leadership. BT said this young core was too young yet to show the leadership needed to win consistently. They needed more direction.

Reading between the lines: GG expected that from his players (rather than supplying it himself). His miscalculation cost them dearly and may explain the fragile psyche.

This is where Bill Peters should make a difference as he will provide that leadership. Bill did a stellar job with bottom 3 payroll in NHL (20 million below salary cap) in Carolina.

Also said expect more of a meritocracy with Bill Peters rather than hoping these will correct over time as we saw with GG. You dont perform you simply dont play.

Another comment from BT was sometimes when you are building a championship team you forget to make the playoffs. It is important to remain focused on the long game and not break from the plan. He applauded one fan who thanked him for his terrific work with the salary cap after the fan took aim on the Oilers for spending handsomely on only 3 players (26.5 million McD, Dri and Lucic I presume).

Definitely a free agent signing from Europe pending.

Significant changes to roster pending. Did not sound like small changes. Depth is the goal.

Gillies and Rittich really struggled with the mental pressure when Smith went down. They will both be better for that unnerving experience next year.

When talking about insuring each prospect spends time at each step on the ladder he lamented that Bennett skipped a step or two and is now struggling with consistency at NHL level these past two seasons. I think he regrets that Bennett did not have AHL time to get his confidence level up.

Some telling stuff there, particularly Gulutzan's hands off approach with leadership.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Had leadership meetings in Banff after the season and analysed the entire organisation, players, scouting, drafting etc hinted player changes may come as they didn't find everyone fit the culture they are trying to establish
Significant changes to roster pending. Did not sound like small changes. Depth is the goal.
These are two of the more curious takeaways from that post. It really does look like there will be some big moves this season. I think we might be parting with a big name

Wonder who they might referring to as not fitting their vision.

It also sounded like they'll be keeping Bennett unless they receive an offer that blows their socks off

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Treliving is great. I love how he sees how the game is being played today, he’s really got a good pulse on things. Credit to him for firing Gully, it’s no secret he wasn’t the right coach. Tossing the stick and seeing the players laugh in interviews after the practice was a joke. I also like all the comments made on Bennett (from both sides). Hopefully he gains confidence from the team being so supportive.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Non-disclose agreement on the arena front IMO is huge news, this means that both sides are finally taking this seriously and done with the public charade

I might be misreading it bit it sounds like there was an NDA the last round as well but that things got leaked. If that’s the case would definitely explain some of the hostility and posturing ie. “we’re done with talks” statements...

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
My biggest hopes for an euro signing would be Pius Suter or Dominik Kubalik, both have contracts with NLA teams next season though, but sometimes players can get out of them.

For unsigned FA, there's D Michal Cajkovsky, a Slovakian NT member in the WC and Olympics. Kind of surprising to see him without an European league contract for next season, so maybe he's negotiating with NHL teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad