Around the Dome II: Flames hockey-related news and notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
'What if we did Spengler Cup 2, but spent millions of dollars on advertising.'
Except Canada is usually the only National team at the Spengler Cup, it's a tournament of club teams, most of which contain players of various nationalities. Joe Thornton and Rick Nash, for example, played for HC Davos in the Spengler Cup during the last lockout.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Tbh I've never watched the Spengler Cup.

Maybe if Iginla & Doan were playing I’d care more, but I have zero interest in cheering on Mayson Raymond and Rene Bourque against Kari Ramo Hiller.

I hope the ratings are awful because this tournament should be a best on best tournament. TBH, I’d rather watch any event over this one. I will however be pumped to watch our women’s team.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I like it better without NHLers, always have. The best tournament I remember was the Lillehammer games in '94, it also provided us with IMO the greatest moment in Olympic hockey history (Forsberg's golden goal).

I wish Hockey Canada would reinstate the men's national team, so it could exist in the same way is did in 1994, the team was a mix of no name veterans, future stars and one holdout NHL star.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Maybe if Iginla & Doan were playing I’d care more, but I have zero interest in cheering on Mayson Raymond and Rene Bourque against Kari Ramo Hiller.

I hope the ratings are awful because this tournament should be a best on best tournament. TBH, I’d rather watch any event over this one. I will however be pumped to watch our women’s team.
The ratings are going to be awful because the games are on at 3 AM. Even with NHLers they'd be bad.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary

Flames & Bruins seems like an odd matchup to have in China, and judging from that tweet looks like we won't be opening the season against the Oilers as they'll be in Sweden.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Bruins have had some activities in China, hockey schools or something, so it makes sense for them. No idea why the Flames though

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Bruins have had some activities in China, hockey schools or something, so it makes sense for them. No idea why the Flames though
Burke would be the reason, he's all about growing the game

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Burke would be the reason, he's all about growing the game

It has a lot to do with the Inferno actually. Since they're under the same Calgary sports group umbrella, they've had working ties with China as two teams in their league are Chinese teams.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Jagr clears Waivers.
Heading back to the Europe.

I just hope he doesn't blame the Flames for any of his issues. But none of us know how things were behind closed doors. Was still cool to see him play here for the handful of games that he did.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The 4 forward-1 defenseman system hasn't worked for 2 years. Get Brouwer out of there and put in Stone, who has a vicious shot

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The 4 forward-1 defenseman system hasn't worked for 2 years. Get Brouwer out of there and put in Stone, who has a vicious shot

I'd love to see Stone in for Backlund on that first unit. Remember yesterday with that setup from Gaudreau? Stone would have really hammered that.

I'd do:
Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Brodie - Stone

Ferland - Backlund - Bennett
Giordano - Hamilton

Our PP is so horrendous, I'd just do back to the basics: Get to the point, fire from the point. Let Gaudreau be creative. Profit.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I want Stone on the PP because other teams' players will be more reluctant to get in the way of his shot. Even if it's a slow release. And I don't care which PP unit.
I've been saying Stone on the top PP all year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad