Around Hockey XX (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
Would be interested to see how Bill K is scoring all these goals. He struck me as better than he showed last year but hardly an elite talent. Did he massively improve in the offseason or is this his year to have a Boone Jenner style 30-goal outlier season?

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
"Our" so desirable Matt Duchene is 0-0 in last 5 games and -6. Ottawa must be sucks too.

Last edited:

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
But if i'm Jarmo i would have offered another pick to keep GMGM off WildBill in ED.

What player would you have liked the VGK to take from the CBJ? I get that you want Will Bill back, but how would you have structured the deal?
Please reply, because the way your post stands now, it smacks of MMQB, and I don't think that's you.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
What player would you have liked the VGK to take from the CBJ? I get that you want Will Bill back, but how would you have structured the deal?
Please reply, because the way your post stands now, it smacks of MMQB, and I don't think that's you.
I would say Calvert or JJ, but the way Matt is playing this season i'm not sure anymore. You know it mostly frustration right now, i know Bill wouldn't have achieve those points here, no way Torts would give him 1st line minutes, So it's just screaming on the ocean. He's good fit in Vegas those numbers will get him a good deal next season, i just miss him. :(

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
Sorry, I guess we come here for different things. You mention things like mostly frustration, screaming. If this place helps you with that..... okay. I come to read, share and learn.

I'm sorry you are frustrated with your team. My team is tied for first place in the toughest division of the most difficult league in the world. Your team must be really dragging you down. My team was so bad for about 15 years and is just now earning respect.

You mention giving up two guys other than Bill. Both of those guys have contracts that expire one year after the expansion draft. Put yourself in George McPhee's chair and tell me if you really would acquire either of those two guys. If so, explain how you leverage up your assets that your owner paid $500 to create.

I get you are frustrated. You don't need to answer. It was my mistake thinking you were actually serious.

Reactions: Viqsi and CBJSTH

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Gee, why so serious? Ok then, I understand the desicion FO made, with PLD and Stenlund coming next year, I don't know what the deal was, "choose from those three or take that guy exactly", but Bill mentioned that FO informed him before the draft that he's gonna be Vegas pick. And i said i would rather loose Calvert OR JJ instead of Bill, and would offer late round pick to McPee to protect him, and btw, Bill contract is expiring after this season too. I'm not frustrated with the team, i'm frustrated that we lost such a good player for nothing.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Clarkson's contract was part of that deal. That was a big load off the Cap/LTIR flexibilty or however you want to look at it. They were losing either Karlsson or Anderson because of that, not JJ or Calvert or Korpi. I still think the right decision was made, especially dumping Clarkson, although it has hurt their depth up the middle.

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
To why so serious, if not tending toward irrational (your word was screaming) is too serious for you, then I'll just apologize and leave it right there.

They didn't lose a good player for nothing. I think the CBJ share of the $500 million expansion fee was like $16 million +. Yea, Clarkson, yea protect Anderson, but 16 million is nothing to sneeze at

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
It just doesn't seem like the Oilers are very good. I imagine it will only get worse with the Draisatl and McDavid contracts kicking in

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Karlsson with 11 & 12.
Marchessault with his 11th assist on Karlsson goal #12.

I kept thinking Karlsson's just hot right now, he'll cool off, but this is nuts. William Karlsson's on pace to score 40 goals a quarter of the way into the year.

On a side note- Maybe, my William Karlsson game issued jersey might have a little resale market.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Karlsson with 11 & 12.
Marchessault with his 11th assist on Karlsson goal #12.

Every time I see how well Vegas is doing, I get angrier and angrier about the crap we were forced to build with. Granted, Maclean would probably have screwed it up just the same but man, picking guys like James Neal and Marc-Andre Fleury instead of Steve Brule (seriously, we took a guy with the same name as the TV Doctor) and Rick Tabarraci would have done a world of good.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Looks like the Jackets will face Carey Price Monday night who recorded a shutout tonight in a 36 save effort.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Every time I see how well Vegas is doing, I get angrier and angrier about the crap we were forced to build with. Granted, Maclean would probably have screwed it up just the same but man, picking guys like James Neal and Marc-Andre Fleury instead of Steve Brule (seriously, we took a guy with the same name as the TV Doctor) and Rick Tabarraci would have done a world of good.

The NHL was wise to change the expansion model-especially given that selling hockey in a non traditional market is all-the-more difficult when a competitive team can't be iced.

If I'm not mistaken, the CBJ sold out every home game for the first 3 1/2 years or so. Had the product been more competitive from the start, I'd think it likely that CBJ tickets would be a tough ticket right now given how well the team is performing. While the attendance drop can be explained in part by the novelty of the NHL wearing off (and, maybe, the 04-05 lockout), I'd think the larger portion of the drop is probably directly related to having a poor product.

Another factor is probably the price tag of an expansion franchise. At half a billion bucks, the buyer should probably be given a set of rules which allows them a reasonable chance to be competitive from the start.

Last edited:

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

I don't blame you one bit. I have said the same thing on the Rangers board. Expansion teams should not be in first place this late in the season and should have to suffer for a few years at least. Giving expansion teams some assets is ok but the NHL went way overboard this time. Vegas got some pretty good assets and could be the first expansion team in history to make the playoffs in their first year. I know its still early but I'm not sure if they are going to regress that much to not make the playoffs. I heard Bettman is going to have each team give up a top 6 forward and top 4 Dman to the next expansion team so they can win the cup in their first year.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I don't blame you one bit. I have said the same thing on the Rangers board. Expansion teams should not be in first place this late in the season and should have to suffer for a few years at least. Giving expansion teams some assets is ok but the NHL went way overboard this time. Vegas got some pretty good assets and could be the first expansion team in history to make the playoffs in their first year. I know its still early but I'm not sure if they are going to regress that much to not make the playoffs. I heard Bettman is going to have each team give up a top 6 forward and top 4 Dman to the next expansion team so they can win the cup in their first year.

Vegas doing well doesn't bother me at all. Virtually no one picked them to do well before the season started, and it was more common to see complaints that Vegas was actively trying to tank this year based on their selections.

The fact that they are doing well are a credit to that group and Gallant for taking on an 'us against the world' mentality.

I think it also speaks to having a number of players playing in their contract year. That hunger and drive can be lacking in a team that is filled with long-term contracts.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Re-curing Neck injury Forces Derrick Dorset to retire

Canucks confirm Dorsett will not return to active roster
Came here to post about this.

Such a shame. When I started going to Jackets games in 2011, Dorsett was one of the few bright spots on the team. His hustle, hitting and fighting were great to watch. He was a serious pest who wasn't a bad skater and had more than a smidgeon of offensive talent.

It sounds like he had no real option but to retire. Best of wishes to him in his future endeavors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad