Army Officially Opposes Vegas Golden Knights Trademark

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I never liked dropping 'Las'. It is fine for everybody to shorten it to 'Vegas' if they wish but not for the official name. Should have been 'Las Vegas Knights' from the beginning. JMO

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
the best part of the article is this

"and we are not aware of a single complaint from anyone attending our games that they were expecting to see the parachute team and not a professional hockey game."

Reactions: lidstromiscool

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg

"and we are not aware of a single complaint from anyone attending our games that they were expecting to see the parachute team and not a professional hockey game."

If thats the reasoning, than why not just name them the Knights? Is anyone going to confuse an amateur hockey team in London with a pro team in Las Vegas?

Overall, I think Foley should have handled this more professionally like Chipman did with the Jets. You dont hear of that team having this problem.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Not the smartest move to be condescending and ridicule the opposition party's claim if they're hoping for a settlement. But I must say, I haven't laughed that hard in a good long while.

Reactions: GuelphStormer

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Can Golden Knights afford to rebrand at this point? They put in all the efforts to brand their team as Vegas Golden Knights.
Not this soon, no. And it really doesn't help that the city has really fallen in love with this team with this incredible run in the wake of the tragedy.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Not this soon, no. And it really doesn't help that the city has really fallen in love with this team with this incredible run in the wake of the tragedy.
I mean, they can probably drop the Golden part and go with Las Vegas Knights.

I know London Knights might have a beef for whatever reason but I figure Vegas can pay them off at lower rate than the US friggin army.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
It's baffling that it got this far.

The Army should want to be associated with the Vegas Golden Knights. The US Military works closely with sports of all kinds (but in particular the NFL). The military in fact paid millions of dollars for leagues to hold military appreciation events. How could Bill Foley on the one hand, and the US Army, not have worked this out before now?

And we even have an example of this taking place. The Winnipeg Jets logo is a direct rip-off/homage of the RCAF Roundel. But the Jets worked out an agreement with the RCAF in advance: They pay $100k per year to military charities for ten years. A pretty small fee. But the agreement also gives the RCAF some small degree of control over how the logo can or can not be used. But now the RCAF and the Jets have a really tight relationship - the Jets have done a number of promotional events at 17 Wing, the airbase located within Winnipeg.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
MNN, FYI..... Aces is gone..... that's MGM'S NAME for the San Antonio Stars that was acquired from Spurs Sports/Entertainment that debuts at Mandalay Bay in 2018/19.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Exhibit A of why the advancement of mankind has staggered over the years. Too much political correctness and people complaining just to make a profit.

I mean, oh NO, they have the same name... You don't see the BC Lions/Detroit Lions fighting, or the Carolina Panther/Florida Panthers, or the Winnipeg Jets/NY Jets, or the LA Kings/Sacramento Kings, or the Arizona Cardinals/St. Louis Cardinals, or the NY Giants/San Fran Gaints.....

Or omg, they have the same colour as us... Pittsburg Steelers/Penguins ...

Get over it, such a waste of the judicial system's time and money

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Exhibit A of why the advancement of mankind has staggered over the years. Too much political correctness and people complaining just to make a profit.

I mean, oh NO, they have the same name... You don't see the BC Lions/Detroit Lions fighting, or the Carolina Panther/Florida Panthers, or the Winnipeg Jets/NY Jets, or the LA Kings/Sacramento Kings, or the Arizona Cardinals/St. Louis Cardinals, or the NY Giants/San Fran Gaints.....

Or omg, they have the same colour as us... Pittsburg Steelers/Penguins ...

Get over it, such a waste of the judicial system's time and money

How is this related to political correctness? This is a legitimate legal issue.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I mean, we all knew they voiced their displeasure right when the Golden Knights name was picked. But then nothing happened so I assumed it got settled. The fact that it hadn't yet and they went with it still is quite silly.

sensfan44

peacetowersens
Aug 12, 2007
Chilliwack BC
Visit site
It's baffling that it got this far.

The Army should want to be associated with the Vegas Golden Knights. The US Military works closely with sports of all kinds (but in particular the NFL). The military in fact paid millions of dollars for leagues to hold military appreciation events. How could Bill Foley on the one hand, and the US Army, not have worked this out before now?

And we even have an example of this taking place. The Winnipeg Jets logo is a direct rip-off/homage of the RCAF Roundel. But the Jets worked out an agreement with the RCAF in advance: They pay $100k per year to military charities for ten years. A pretty small fee. But the agreement also gives the RCAF some small degree of control over how the logo can or can not be used. But now the RCAF and the Jets have a really tight relationship - the Jets have done a number of promotional events at 17 Wing, the airbase located within Winnipeg.

Precisely.
The CFL (a nine team league) could live with two of the nine teams being named ‘Roughriders’/‘Rough Riders’

I heard that Betty White will being making a claim against them using the term ‘Golden’ to define their club. (Obscure Golden Girls reference)

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Precisely.
The CFL (a nine team league) could live with two of the nine teams being named ‘Roughriders’/‘Rough Riders’

I heard that Betty White will being making a claim against them using the term ‘Golden’ to define their club. (Obscure Golden Girls reference)

Don't get me started on Ottawa. I think it is ridiculous that Saskatchewan will not let the Ottawa franchise reclaim the name Rough Riders, with all the history that anme has in the national capital.

Reactions: WaveRaven

Bucky_Hoyt

Dec 11, 2005
Singapore
Can Golden Knights afford to rebrand at this point? They put in all the efforts to brand their team as Vegas Golden Knights.

Might be "soon-ish" to do in their 2nd season but recent precedent had Tampa Bay drop the Devil from Devil Rays.

Agreed with many others here that it would be cheaper to settle with a CHL team than the US Army.

Las Vegas Knights gets my vote too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad