Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: There are no bad proposals, only bad players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
If Matt Murray is somehow available, what is the maximum you'd pay for him?

Murray is probably the only goalie I'd consider trading Parsons for.

2017 1st, Parsons, Hickey/Kylington, +

(Would add more draft picks or a roster player if they would get the deal done)

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Flames go 25 years without a #1 center then when we finally get one we trade him for a d-man, a draft pick and a winger.

ytho.jpeg

I hate the deal as much as you, but Monahan isn't a #1 center. At best, which is a player we finally saw in the playoffs, he's a good, productive #2. Which puts him about on par with Backlund (when he isn't playing like October-November Monahan).

Still a player you need, but our time without a #1 centre is still very much ticking.

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I hate the deal as much as you, but Monahan isn't a #1 center. At best, which is a player we finally saw in the playoffs, he's a good, productive #2. Which puts him about on par with Backlund (when he isn't playing like October-November Monahan).

Still a player you need, but our time without a #1 centre is still very much ticking.

Because players Monahan's age never experience any more growth :rolleyes:

Would you say Mark Scheifele is a #1 C? He was drafted 2 years before Monahan and just passed him this year, and arguably maybe the year before.

This shtick is getting old.

Do I think Monahan is a perfect, elite #1 Center? No. Could he be? Maybe. Will he be? Probably not, that kind of perfect player is rare. Will he be a bonafide #1 center? Sure, most likely.

You can't be mad at Monahan for not being a super elite offensive two way force at his age and act like he can't/won't grow. But with Backlund being a Selke caliber arguably 1st line center, we don't need him to be as badly either.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Because players Monahan's age never experience any more growth :rolleyes:

Monahan could be a 1C someday, and he could never be a 1C. Calling him a 1C is disingenuous.

Would you say Mark Scheifele is a #1 C? He was drafted 2 years before Monahan and just passed him this year, and arguably maybe the year before.

Would I call Scheifele a 1C before this year? No.

This shtick is getting old.

Being consistent with facts is getting old.

Gotcha.

Monahan is a 1C, Hamilton is a 1D, and Gaudreau is a two-way monster.

Hope that's fresh enough for you.

And people say I'm the Flames homer.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yeah after this year it's not even really debateable. The guy is going to start putting up consistent 70 point seasons and will easily be a top 10 center from a 10 year draft period.

If only he was more flashy :laugh:

May 27, 2012
Earth
giphy.gif

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
What if hypothetically Chicago just offered Toews (29YO, 58 pts the last two seasons) for Backlund (28 years old).

Do you expect Chicago to retain? How much?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
In no way would I move Backlund for Toews. Toews is a better C without question, but for how long? He also isn't 5 million better. Trading Toews for Backlund would essentially be spending on 1 player the same amount that will be spent on both Backlund and Tkachuk. It would be an awful use of cap management. And if Chicago retained, how much would they retain? In the end, I don't think it would justify the price.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
In no way would I move Backlund for Toews. Toews is a better C without question, but for how long? He also isn't 5 million better. Trading Toews for Backlund would essentially be spending on 1 player the same amount that will be spent on both Backlund and Tkachuk. It would be an awful use of cap management. And if Chicago retained, how much would they retain? In the end, I don't think it would justify the price.

But Toews is better at faceoffs ;)

The retention I was thinking was 20%.

So 8 million dollar Jonathan Toews, we finally get our true #1 center.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
But Toews is better at faceoffs ;)

The retention I was thinking was 20%.

So 8 million dollar Jonathan Toews, we finally get our true #1 center.

I still wouldn't do it. I think Backlund will get 5 years @ 5.25, but let's say he gets 5.5 over 5. I think within 2 seasons Toews will be the worst contract in the NHL because of all the mileage he has on him. It would be like the Lucic signing. A good deal for 3 seasons, and awful for the balance. I don't want Toews to cost us Bennett or Tkachuk.

And besides, why would we deal for Toews when we have a clone in Monahan? :sarcasm:

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I still wouldn't do it. I think Backlund will get 5 years @ 5.25, but let's say he gets 5.5 over 5. I think within 2 seasons Toews will be the worst contract in the NHL because of all the mileage he has on him. It would be like the Lucic signing. A good deal for 3 seasons, and awful for the balance. I don't want Toews to cost us Bennett or Tkachuk.

I can't see Toews ever being the worst contract in the NHL. He will age like Sakic, Yzerman and co. I do think 10M/yr for him is steep, but at 8M for a 29 year old with 6 years left, you consider it. I think you could sign Tkachuk/Bennett for five/four years respectively to line up the next contract with the expiry of Toews.

And besides, why would we deal for Toews when we have a clone in Monahan? :sarcasm:

Monahan is a Toews clone in the same sense that Brett Kulak is a Victor Hedman clone.

Last edited:
May 27, 2012
Earth
I can't see Toews ever being the worst contract in the NHL. He will age like Sakic, Yzerman and co. I do think 10M/yr for him is steep, but at 8M for a 29 year old with 5 years left, you consider it. I think you could sign Tkachuk/Bennett for five/four years respectively to line up the next contract with the expiry of Toews.

Monahan is a Toews clone in the same sense that Brett Kulak is a Victor Hedman clone.

Hmmm.

In terms of points he's essentially on par with Toews the last 3 seasons. I'm not saying he's on par as Toews as a complete player, but give credit where it's due. He's a #1 C and you seem to be the only one who argues this constantly.

Well, I'm just not sure how you got Kulak and Hedman.

giphy.gif

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I would trade Backlund for Toews.

Toews is a winner. That counts for something

and Backlund is going to be a UFA soon

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Who do you think will pick Valimaki? Jets? If Jets want Valimaki, should we trade with the Canes and move up a few spots so we can snatch him? We need some more LHD prospects, and Valimaki seems like the perfect candidate to develop into a Gio replacement.

Brodie-Hamilton
Valimaki-Fox/Andersson (When both develop to their potential).

Oh my rivaling Nashville for best top 4.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Brannstrom > Valimaki tbh.

Maybe in potential yeah. But we already have Fox, Kulak, Kylington for small skilled guys. Valimaki is a 6'2 physical point per game d-man in the WHL.

Valimaki can separate people from pucks. So can Foote. And frankly we need some of that in our pool

That said I think Valimaki and Foote go to Tampa and Winnipeg, if they don't go earlier. Both teams are stacked up front. Both teams are weak on the blue line. Both have really nothing on the pipeline on the blue line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->