Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: The other one was locked and LazarBeams asked for a new one so I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
updated with the Lazar signing
The current cap/roster situation:

Goaltenders
-- # -- | ----- ----- Player Name ----- ----- | --- --- AAV --- --- | -- Free Agency --
31 | Lack, Eddie | $1,375,000 | UFA 2018
41 | Smith, Mike | $4,250,000 | UFA 2019
Combined AAV: $5,625,000
Open Roster Spots: 0

Defensemen
-- # -- | ----- ----- Player Name ----- ----- | --- --- AAV --- --- | -- Free Agency --
5 | Giordano, Mark | $6,750,000 | UFA 2022
7 | Brodie, TJ | $4,650,400 | UFA 2020
24 | Hamonic, Travis | $3,857,143 | UFA 2020
26 | Stone, Michael | $3,500,000 | UFA 2020
27 | Hamilton, Douggie | $5,750,000 | UFA 2021
Combined AAV: $24,507,543
Open Roster Spots: 2

Potential Defensemen
44 | Bartkowski, Matt | $612,500 | UFA 2018
61 | Kulak, Brett | RFA | RFA 2017
N/A | Wotherspoon, Tyler | RFA | RFA 2017

Forwards
10 | Versteeg, Kris | $1,750,000 | UFA 2018
11 | Backlund, Mikael | $3,575,000 | UFA 2018
13 | Gaudreau, Johnny | $6,750,000 | UFA 2022
18 | Stajan, Matt | $3,125,000 | UFA 2018
19 | Tkachuk, Matthew | $925,000 | RFA 2019
20 | Lazar, Curits | $950,000 | RFA 2019
23 | Monahan, Sean | $6,375,000 | UFA 2023
25 | Hamilton, Freddie | $612,500 | RFA 2018
36 | Brouwer, Troy | $4,500,000 | UFA 2020
67 | Frolik, Michael | $4,300,000 | UFA 2020
79 | Ferland, Micheal | $1,750,000 | UFA 2019
93 | Bennett, Sam | RFA | RFA 2017
Combined AAV: $34,612,500
Restricted Free Agents on roster: 1
Open Roster Spots: 2

Forwards
15 | Foo, Spencer | $925,000 | RFA 2019
49 | Shinkaruk, Hunter | $863,333 | RFA 2018
64 | Hathaway, Garnet | RFA | RFA 2017
77 | Jankowski, Mark | $925,000 | RFA 2018
N/A | Gazdic, Luke | $650,000 | UFA 2018
N/A | Hrivik, Marek | $650,000 | RFA 2018

Buyout Penalties
-- # -- | ----- ----- Player Name ----- ----- | -- -- 2017-18 -- -- | -- -- 2017-18 -- --
- | Raymond, Mason | $1,050,000 | -
- | Bouma, Lance | $666,667 | $766,667
- | Murphy, Ryan | $100,000 | $137,500
Combined Buyout Penalties: $1,816,667

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Goaltenders Combined AAV: $5,625,000
Defensemen Combined AAV: $24,507,543
Forwards Combined AAV: $34,612,500
Combined Buyout Penalties: $1,816,667
Bonus Overage Penalty: $660,000

TOTAL CAP SPACE USED: $67,221,710
TOTAL CAP SPACE AVAILABLE: $7,778,290

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

Now again, this is a long shot. But Valimaki could steal the last LH d spot going into the season...His competition is Kulak, Bart...and Klyington??? Weirder things have happened

Honestly, I think there's a greater chance of AOM stealing the spot, than there is Valimaki making the jump, seems like there's a push to balance out our high end offensive defensemen with some rock solid defensive play. I agree Andersson is closer to ready, but given our commitment to handedness, it seems unlikely.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Stockton Heat defenseman of the Year in 2017, Tyler Wotherspoon is in the mix too.

never struck me as a guy who would be NHL quality. He's very vanilla, has a well rounded game, he just doesn't seem to pop anywhere. Would be nice if one of him or Kulak could progress and give us a solid bottom pari next year.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Absolutely ecstatic at the possibility of a Stone-Wotherspoon pairing. I think that could be a real solid third pairing

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Avs fans are pretty up on the idea of Bennett+Valimaki for Duchene.

I wouldn't give up both but personally I'd be willing to go Bennett+Kylington (and not a penny more).

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Duchene-Lazar
Jankowski-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Stajan-Brouwer

Lots of speed, skill, and even good faceoff ability in the top 9, and a really solid veteran group for the 4th line.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
never struck me as a guy who would be NHL quality. He's very vanilla, has a well rounded game, he just doesn't seem to pop anywhere. Would be nice if one of him or Kulak could progress and give us a solid bottom pari next year.
I think Wotherspoon is a better fit with Stone to be honest. I think Tspoon gets underrated because as you say, he doesn't seem to pop anywhere. But he's got solid stay at home potential still.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

He's never going to put up points, but his skating has improved and he's probably the best shutdown defenseman in the system. He's fairly polished from Euro pro experience and he's huge. It really depends on what management is looking for from the bottom pairing. I think Kulak has the best shot but it wouldn't surprise me, if they're looking for more of a shutdown bottom pairing.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

I wouldn't give up both but personally I'd be willing to go Bennett+Kylington (and not a penny more).

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Duchene-Lazar
Versteeg-Stajan-Brouwer

Lots of speed, skill, and even good faceoff ability in the top 9, and a really solid veteran group for the 4th line.

I want no part of a guy that quits on his team and that's exactly what happened.

Butanic

May 29, 2017
Calgary
How do you guys feel about dealing Matt Stajan for a mid to late round pick to free some cap up for a potential Jagr signing?

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I want no part of a guy that quits on his team and that's exactly what happened.

This would be my biggest problem with the trade. Don't want a guy who was specifically put into a leadership role and then gave up on leading because he thought he wad too good for the team. I'd take a group of unskilled guys who want to win any day, 2014-15 Flames were a great example.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
How do you guys feel about dealing Matt Stajan for a mid to late round pick to free some cap up for a potential Jagr signing?

I'd be all for it, makes a spot for Janko too, but I don't see it happening. There seems to be a pretty deep bond with Stajan and I don't see them moving him in the last year of his deal, plus there's a NTC, if I'm not mistaken.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton

Who is willing to take on his salary for a pick hahaha

If we are trying to load up for the playoffs I think there's some merit to having Stajan in a 4th line role, and I don't think we need to ship out his salary to pick up someone like Jags or Iggy. I have never liked Stajan on our team, but I would keep him in the event of a duchene trade or anything else that looks as though we're clearly gearing up to contend.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
This would be my biggest problem with the trade. Don't want a guy who was specifically put into a leadership role and then gave up on leading because he thought he wad too good for the team. I'd take a group of unskilled guys who want to win any day, 2014-15 Flames were a great example.

I hear what you guys are saying, but I think there was more going on behind the scenes than we are privy to. The kid was known for his high work ethic the majority of his career. That team was historically bad last year- couldn't have been a good environment for anyone.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

Exactly, I think it's foolish to think that Duchene would've responded any different on the Flames, if he was in Bennett's position last year.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Exactly, I think it's foolish to think that Duchene would've responded any different on the Flames, if he was in Bennett's position last year.

I disagree- and I think you've made a good point. It was pretty clear that Benny was a bit listless for I'd say around 30 games last season. Does that mean he's a player who we can label as someone who gives up?? No, and we saw in the playoffs what he can do when motivated. I think the same goes for Duchene, except frankly he's way more proven than Benny at this point.

The point is that Players go through highs and lows- and motivation is a funny thing. It's extremely hard to motivate when there's a terrible atmosphere around the team, and I think that was reflected on every avalanche player last season, Jarome included.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I hear what you guys are saying, but I think there was more going on behind the scenes than we are privy to. The kid was known for his high work ethic the majority of his career. That team was historically bad last year- couldn't have been a good environment for anyone.

My guess is it was a similar situation to Hall in Edmonton. Management decided they wanted it to be MacKinnons team and Duchene didn't like it. Just speculation of course.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
My guess is it was a similar situation to Hall in Edmonton. Management decided they wanted it to be MacKinnons team and Duchene didn't like it. Just speculation of course.

That could very well be it! This wouldn't be Duchene's team either... but he wouldn't be coming here with the expectation that it would be. I think we get a different guy than last season's duchene if he comes here. Probably one who plays a lot more freely too because he doesn't have the crushing expectations on him.

I see it as a Thornton like situation (though Duchy doesn't have nearly as much point producing potential as ol' Jumbo)

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I disagree- and I think you've made a good point. It was pretty clear that Benny was a bit listless for I'd say around 30 games last season. Does that mean he's a player who we can label as someone who gives up?? No, and we saw in the playoffs what he can do when motivated. I think the same goes for Duchene, except frankly he's way more proven than Benny at this point.

The point is that Players go through highs and lows- and motivation is a funny thing. It's extremely hard to motivate when there's a terrible atmosphere around the team, and I think that was reflected on every avalanche player last season, Jarome included.

It wasn't a knock on Bennett. The point is, I think there's a good chance that Duchene would have been any better on the Flames, playing with Versteeg, Brouwer and Chiasson, than he was in Colorado. It was a hit to his ego and he didn't respond well.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
It wasn't a knock on Bennett. The point is, I think there's a good chance that Duchene would have been any better on the Flames, playing with Versteeg, Brouwer and Chiasson, than he was in Colorado. It was a hit to his ego and he didn't respond well.

I know you weren't trying to knock Bennett, I was more arguing that your same point could reflect on to Bennett. If we're going to judge Duchene for getting demoralized as "not a player we want on the flames" then why do we still want Bennett so much when he did almost the exact same thing.

Duchene with crap linemates still outproduced benny by a pretty good margin.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
That could very well be it! This wouldn't be Duchene's team either... but he wouldn't be coming here with the expectation that it would be. I think we get a different guy than last season's duchene if he comes here. Probably one who plays a lot more freely too because he doesn't have the crushing expectations on him.

I see it as a Thornton like situation (though Duchy doesn't have nearly as much point producing potential as ol' Jumbo)

Plus, what do you do at the end of season, let Backlund walk? We can't afford Duchene now, let alone after a Backlund extension. Good luck the following year with Duchene, Tkachuk, Ferland and Lazar all having expiring contracts. Duchene is just an all around bad idea, IMO

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Plus, what do you do at the end of season, let Backlund walk? We can't afford Duchene now, let alone after a Backlund extension. Good luck the following year with Duchene, Tkachuk, Ferland and Lazar all having expiring contracts. Duchene is just an all around bad idea, IMO

I think we could trade Duchene again next summer. One year rental type situation. I also think this year will really define how much backs gets on a new contract.

As far as needing to reup all of those guys- yeah it could be a problem. Realistically, if it is a problem it means they've all played extremely well in the next two seasons. So it's not a bad problem to have. If they don't play well, then we won't have to worry about giving them raises.

IMO we're arguing about whether we should make sure we're set 2-3 years down the line vs whether we should push hard to win now. The structure of our D leads me to believe that Management wants to go now. if that's the case, why wouldn't we want to upgrade as much as possible?

Aug 21, 2014

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Duchene-Lazar
Versteeg-Stajan-Brouwer

No thanks, we need to sign Tkachuk and Backlund. Valimaki and hopefully one of Andersson/Kylington/Fox pans out for our backend retool in 3-4 years.

depends if someone offers a mid pick.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The time could be the next two seasons or it could be the next ten. There's no need to pin all your hopes on a small window when a little bit of patience might get you a much larger opportunity.

Besides, don't get the fascination with Duchene. Does this team really need yet another left shot center/left winger combo? And one that a) doesn't even work with the cap this year and b) makes it awfully difficult to re-sign Backlund? If the Flames really were going all in (which they shouldn't because it's a bad idea), Kessel would be the far better target, since he actually addresses some needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad