Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: The other one was locked and LazarBeams asked for a new one so I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Bennett had lots of chances on the top line during both seasons of his career and quickly couldn't cut it.

If Bennett was good enough for the top line, he'd play on the top line.

Literally when? All I remember is maybe two or three games in his rookie year where he played RW, a position he doesn't play. He played a stretch with Gaudreau, but also with Chiasson, and that was for roughly the same amount of time, three or four games. Not to mention the entire team was bad at that point, including Gaudreau.

Bennett is just outclassed on the depth chart at centre, where the team insists they want him to play. All Duchene has going for him is that he can upgrade our RW, barely.

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Duchene would cost too much based on the rumours of Sakic's want.
I'd pass.

As for ******** on Brouwer. He had a bad season, he was deadweight, he didn't play tough when we needed him and throwing a few checks when you're demoted to the 4th line is more or less just trying to keep your roster spot. I think he'd be the first to admit that this was a **** poor season; it doesn't mean people are 'pathetic or idiots' for pointing out the guy was arguably the worst player who threw on a Flames jersey last year.

I'd love for him to bounce back as a 40-45 point player and bring that leadership... but if he plays like he did last year, his cap is more valuable than he is.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I wouldn't deal Bennett for Duchene straight up, barf. I think Duchene has questionable attitude issues and was a major reason Colorado has been so bad the last 2 seasons and he makes a lot of money. Bennett will be the better player very soon, maybe even by next season and Bennett's physical style of play fills a way bigger need and he's just a better all around player.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I really liked the Gaudreau - Bennett - Frolik line. I'd love to see that again.

Gaudreau - Bennett - Frolik
Ferland - Backlund - Versteeg
Tkachuk - Monahan - Lazar
Stajan - Jankowski - Brouwer

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I really liked the Gaudreau - Bennett - Frolik line. I'd love to see that again.

Gaudreau - Bennett - Frolik
Ferland - Backlund - Versteeg
Tkachuk - Monahan - Lazar
Stajan - Jankowski - Brouwer

I'd try this instead in the hopes it kickstarts Brouwer:

Ferland-Backlund-Brouwer
Tkachuk-Monahan-Versteeg
Stajan-Janks-Lazar

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
The current cap/roster situation:

Goaltenders
-- # -- | ----- ----- Player Name ----- ----- | --- --- AAV --- --- | -- Free Agency --
31 | Lack, Eddie | $1,375,000 | UFA 2018
41 | Smith, Mike | $4,250,000 | UFA 2019
Combined AAV: $5,625,000
Open Roster Spots: 0

Defensemen
-- # -- | ----- ----- Player Name ----- ----- | --- --- AAV --- --- | -- Free Agency --
5 | Giordano, Mark | $6,750,000 | UFA 2022
7 | Brodie, TJ | $4,650,400 | UFA 2020
24 | Hamonic, Travis | $3,857,143 | UFA 2020
26 | Stone, Michael | $3,500,000 | UFA 2020
27 | Hamilton, Douggie | $5,750,000 | UFA 2021
Combined AAV: $24,507,543
Open Roster Spots: 2

Potential Defensemen
44 | Bartkowski, Matt | $612,500 | UFA 2018
61 | Kulak, Brett | RFA | RFA 2017
N/A | Wotherspoon, Tyler | RFA | RFA 2017

Forwards
10 | Versteeg, Kris | $1,750,000 | UFA 2018
11 | Backlund, Mikael | $3,575,000 | UFA 2018
13 | Gaudreau, Johnny | $6,750,000 | UFA 2022
18 | Stajan, Matt | $3,125,000 | UFA 2018
19 | Tkachuk, Matthew | $925,000 | RFA 2019
20 | Lazar, Curits | $950,000 | RFA 2019
23 | Monahan, Sean | $6,375,000 | UFA 2023
25 | Hamilton, Freddie | $612,500 | RFA 2018
36 | Brouwer, Troy | $4,500,000 | UFA 2020
67 | Frolik, Michael | $4,300,000 | UFA 2020
79 | Ferland, Micheal | $1,750,000 | UFA 2019
93 | Bennett, Sam | RFA | RFA 2017
Combined AAV: $34,612,500
Restricted Free Agents on roster: 1
Open Roster Spots: 2

Forwards
15 | Foo, Spencer | $925,000 | RFA 2019
49 | Shinkaruk, Hunter | $863,333 | RFA 2018
64 | Hathaway, Garnet | RFA | RFA 2017
77 | Jankowski, Mark | $925,000 | RFA 2018
N/A | Gazdic, Luke | $650,000 | UFA 2018
N/A | Hrivik, Marek | $650,000 | RFA 2018

Buyout Penalties
-- # -- | ----- ----- Player Name ----- ----- | -- -- 2017-18 -- -- | -- -- 2017-18 -- --
- | Raymond, Mason | $1,050,000 | -
- | Bouma, Lance | $666,667 | $766,667
- | Murphy, Ryan | $100,000 | $137,500
Combined Buyout Penalties: $1,816,667

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Goaltenders Combined AAV: $5,625,000
Defensemen Combined AAV: $24,507,543
Forwards Combined AAV: $34,612,500
Combined Buyout Penalties: $1,816,667
Bonus Overage Penalty: $660,000

TOTAL CAP SPACE USED: $67,221,710
TOTAL CAP SPACE AVAILABLE: $7,778,290

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Anyone want to trade Brouwer for Eriksson?

Not even close.
We have only 3 years left on Brouwer's bad deal. Additionally, after next year I'd be perfectly okay with a buyout if he doesn't improve. IF he gets back to 40 points and a decent player; then you have no problem riding out the contract. But if he continues his trend; a buyout in my eyes is a good option.

Would give us a 3 million dollar savings over the next two years and then only a 1.5 million hit on the cap for two years.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Same with Ferland. This is his 3rd or 4th go at the top line and he's finally working there.

Sam is young and appears to have confidence issues. Once he figures it out, he's fully capable of being a productive 1st line... center or winger, whatever he is.

He worked there. For about a month before tapering off as usual.

This team will keep spinning it's wheels unless one of two things happen:

A) You get a top RW for the top line that can consistently produce like Monahan and Gaudreau

B) Gaudreau explodes and improves on his 15/16 season and becomes a dominant force.

I don't see anyone on this team being a good bet for option a). I don't mind trying Ferland out to start the year as I'm excited to see what he can do if he starts the year there but I think there is a good chance we will be back to the rotating crap show a few months in and then Treliving will need to make a move. Will the price be higher or lower then?

Duchene for Bennett seems a bit steep to me to be honest so I don't know if I'd do it but people assuming Bennett is some how a good bet to get to Duchene's level is homerish.

Personally I'd rather we sell the farm for Mackinnon :D

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

A) You get a top RW for the top line that can consistently produce like Monahan and Gaudreau

B) Gaudreau explodes and improves on his 15/16 season and becomes a dominant force.

I don't see anyone on this team being a good bet for option a). I don't mind trying Ferland out to start the year as I'm excited to see what he can do if he starts the year there but I think there is a good chance we will be back to the rotating crap show a few months in and then Treliving will need to make a move. Will the price be higher or lower then?

Duchene for Bennett seems a bit steep to me to be honest so I don't know if I'd do it but people assuming Bennett is some how a good bet to get to Duchene's level is homerish.

Dream scenario would be the Flames do awesome to begin the seaosn but the Monahan-Gaudreau-Ferland line plays beyond horrible and is barely even AHL caliber (So basically Smith and Lack have GAA less than 1.5 and Sv% well above 94.50 to begin the season, Backlund is scoring more than a PPG pace, etc. Gaudreau Monahan and Ferland combine for like 5 points while Backlund alone has 25+ points...). Lindholm struggles brutally as well, forcing Carolina to trade him, we get him for a good prospect, and then Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm form a line and the rest of history (For good reasons). But hey I need to stop being delusional lol.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

MacKinnon would cost us Monahan or Tkachuk + Valimaki, to get talks started. We want to add to what we have, not move our guys, just to retool around someone else's kid, who has struggled to produce at the same level as our current young players.

I don't even think we need a player the level of MacKinnon, to play with Gaudreau and Monahan, just better than we currently have. I'd look for up and comers that we could potentially do a prospect for prospect trade. Guys like Fischer, White, Boeser, Roslovic or Nichushkin should be the type of targets we're after. I wouldn't even mind taking a flyer on Virtanen, if the price was right. His development is screwed up and he was picked way to high, but in all honesty, he produced at the same level as 19 year old, as Ferland at 24. As a complimentary player, I think he could still hit 50 points, some day, with the right linemates.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
MacKinnon would cost us Monahan or Tkachuk + Valimaki, to get talks started. We want to add to what we have, not move our guys, just to retool around someone else's kid, who has struggled to produce at the same level as our current young players.

I don't even think we need a player the level of MacKinnon, to play with Gaudreau and Monahan, just better than we currently have. I'd look for up and comers that we could potentially do a prospect for prospect trade. Guys like Fischer, White, Boeser, Roslovic or Nichushkin should be the type of targets we're after. I wouldn't even mind taking a flyer on Virtanen, if the price was right. His development is screwed up and he was picked way to high, but in all honesty, he produced at the same level as 19 year old, as Ferland at 24. As a complimentary player, I think he could still hit 50 points, some day, with the right linemates.

Or maybe try to go after guys like Aberg and Nylander.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think the Flames are going to be putting Ferland on the top for the first bit to see if they click. If not, I would love a Tkachuk - Bennett - Ferland 3rd line.

As for the line combos, I think it is a given that Gaudreau/Monahan are together and Backlund/ Frolik on the other. Would love Bennett with Tkachuk since they are both physical.

Gaudreau - Monahan - X
X - Backlund - Frolik
Tkachuk - Bennett - X
X - Stajan - Brouwer
X, X

Fill in the X's with Ferland, Versteeg, Lazar, and other players I cannot remember.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Or maybe try to go after guys like Aberg and Nylander.

Sure, but I'd like to target guys, with high end potential, that wouldn't necessarily cost us our top prospect to acquire. Myself, I've already got Valimaki penciled in as Gio's eventual top 4 replacement.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Sure, but I'd like to target guys, with high end potential, that wouldn't necessarily cost us our top prospect to acquire. Myself, I've already got Valimaki penciled in as Gio's eventual top 4 replacement.

Now again, this is a long shot. But Valimaki could steal the last LH d spot going into the season...His competition is Kulak, Bart...and Klyington??? Weirder things have happened

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room

Now again, this is a long shot. But Valimaki could steal the last LH d spot going into the season...His competition is Kulak, Bart...and Klyington??? Weirder things have happened
Stockton Heat defenseman of the Year in 2017, Tyler Wotherspoon is in the mix too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->