Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: the madness continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
For others that are curious, these are the posts.

July 10th:
Sources close to Jeromer2.0 have confirmed that Jerome will most likely sign a 1-year contract with the Flames.
Nonetheless, once Edmonton signed Jussi Jokinen talks between Oilers and Iginla fizzled out. Iginla will be a Calgary Flame by week's end. I'm not sure I like the move as I believe we have better/younger options already signed.

July 14th:
Really close to signing with Calgary. Am told has real interest in playing with the Oilers but talks have cooled off.
No idea if the Oilers were plan A, just know he has interest in playing with them. Flames have been delaying.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
The mods on CP did confirm that the poster had legit sources, so I would have to think it's somewhat believable. Although that makes me cringe even harder that he's still considering Edmonton as a viable option.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
To add this rumour, I guess. Another guy posted this:

So I wasn't planning on posting this because I wanted to keep my conversation private, but just to dispel the notion by some here that Iggy would never want to come back here, I will tell my story. Mods feel free to PM to get further detail and facts.

I spoke to a member of Flames management last week and jokingly asked if we were bringing back Iggy. The individual said he's spoken to Iginla and he's training super hard this summer because he feels he has 1 more year left in him. Iggy knew he wasn't going to be a priority guy this summer so he's being patient while trying to still be ready for the season in hopes he will be signed somewhere. Iginla even said to this individual something along the lines of "so you guys need RWers right?", and said he has shown interest in coming back to Calgary. Now the question is whether Flames management think there's a fit. But they will speak to Iginla's agent and consider it an option.

So in conclusion, contrary to some people's opinions, Iginla is willing to come back to Calgary to play if the Flames will have him and the fit makes sense.

A mod also said this story is legitimate.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Lots of smoke. Time will tell I guess.

As much as I despise the idea of Iggy on the Oilers, I can't fully blame him for wanting to play with McDavid potentially, even if it's just on the PP.

Butanic

May 29, 2017
Calgary
I don't want the Flames to get Iginla. He is best suited to a 4th line RW role, which will be occupied by Brouwer for at least the next year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't want the Flames to get Iginla. He is best suited to a 4th line RW role, which will be occupied by Brouwer for at least the next year.

If they want Brouwer to rebound, burying him on the 4th line would not be very smart

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Problem with signing Iginla is they may all stand around waiting for him to lead them. He couldnt 10 yrs ago, he certainly cant now.

Aug 3, 2010
Just as I'd like to see Jagr end his career with the Penguins, I don't mind seeing Iginla in Calgary on a one-year, 2m contract. But that's about it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I like the idea of Iginla, and if he and Brouwer end up splitting time in the pressbox that's not a terrible thing.

Great thing is nobody's going to expect him to do anything - but will be almost like a mascot to rally around come playoffs.
I actually think Iginla and Brouwer together could work, Iginla just needs to shoot the puck and generate rebounds.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Meh....he doesn't have too much left. I suppose he could be a regular shift tough guy, if nothing else. It makes it pretty hard to see how everyone fits in unless Ferland or Frolik move back to the left side.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
My concern with bringing Iginla in, is who gets benched as a result?

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Versteeg - Bennett - Brouwer
Stajan - Jankowski - Lazar
Hamilton

These are the more likely of the 13 who'd have been on the roster come October. Would signing Iggy mean Hamilton gets demoted, or would Jankowski get another year in the AHL?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Hamilton

These are the more likely of the 13 who'd have been on the roster come October. Would signing Iggy mean Hamilton gets demoted, or would Jankowski get another year in the AHL?

I think this is the likely outcome. Would make Jankowski the 1st injury call up.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Hamilton

13 forwards
7 defense
2 goalies

Still room for one more on a 23 man roster.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

Hamilton

I think it's highly unlikely Stajan moves to the wing, for Janko to play centre, to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad