Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: Post your terrible ideas here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
More turrible ideas. Yes, this means some of you can ***** and cry about wanting to dump Bennett :naughty:

Trades and expansion:
to Vegas Golden Knights (Expansion Pick)
● Matt Stajan $3,125,000

to Philadelphia Flyers
● Sam Bennett RFA
● Hunter Shinkaruk $863,333
● 2nd in 2018
to Calgary Flames
● Brayden Schenn $5,125,000

to Minnesota Wild
● Micheal Ferland RFA
● Oliver Kylington $761,667
● 1st in 2017
to Calgary Flames
● Nino Niederreiter RFA

to New Jersey Devils
● Lance Bouma $2,200,000
● Dillon Dube $792,500
● Adam Fox Unsigned Prospect
● 1st in 2018
to Calgary Flames
● Cory Schneider $6,000,000

Re-signings
● Nino Neiderreiter - 7 year(s) / $5,750,000 AAV
● Scottie Upshall - 1 year(s) / $900,000 AAV
● Curtis Lazar - 1 year(s) / $900,000 AAV
● Alex Chiasson - 1 year(s) / $1,000,000 AAV
● Michael Stone - 2 year(s) / $3,750,000 AAV
● Tyler Wotherspoon - 1 year(s) / $650,000 AAV (1-way)
● Brett Kulak - 1 year(s) / $650,000 AAV (1-way)
● Deryk Engelland - 1 year(s) / $2,000,000 AAV
● Jon Gillies - 1 year(s) / $650,000 AAV (1-way)

Opening Day Line-up

Johnny Gaudreau $6,750,000 ● Sean Monahan $6,350,000 ● Brayden Schenn $5,125,000
Michael Frolik $4,300,000 ● Mikael Backlund $3,575,000 ● Troy Brower $4,500,000
Matthew Tkachuk $925,000 ● Mark Jankowski $925,000 ● Nino Niederreiter $5,750,000
Scottie Upshall $900,000 ● Curtis Lazar $900,000 ● Alex Chiasson $1,000,000
Freddie Hamilton $612,500

Mark Giordano $6,750,000 ● Dougie Hamilton $5,750,000
TJ Brodie $4,650,400 ● Michael Stone $3,750,000
Tyler Wotherspoon $650,000 ● Deryk Engelland $2,000,000
Brett Kulak $650,000

Cory Schneider $6,000,000 ● Jon Gillies $650,000

Buyout Penalties: $1,050,000
Bonus Overage: $750,000

Team Cap Hit: $74,262,900
Salary Cap: $75,000,000
Cap Space $737,100

Contender?

I like the Niederreiter and Schneider trades..it is purging a bit of the flames prospect depth but I do like them even though I think both Minnisota and New Jersey would want more higher end prospects than whats offered so I think they reject it.

Bringing in Schenn for Bennett just doesn't make sense. Bennett's upside is way higher and he is not close to being developed yet. The flames need to either commit to shifting him to the wing OR give him some actual talent to play with on his wings.

I have no problem with a depth resigning of Engalland however giving him another $2 M AAV for a year just means that he would be way overpaid by the flames for another year. His spot on the depth chart should go to someone making less than $1 M per year.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The pickins is slim, though (ordered by icetime):

No big steals in this year's UFA market. All things considered Stone is the best compromise unless we want to move Brodie back to the right side to play with Del Zotto or pay out the wazoo for Shattenkirk. Brian Campbell is another option but chances are the Flames are looking to add a younger "big" defenseman (even though we're watching a team with Josi / Ellis probably en route to the cup but I digress)

To be fair, Mattias Ekholm, Roman Josi, PK Subban all have good to better than average size/build. So not sure what you're getting at :laugh:

I do think Calgary needs a guy who can stop a cycle (like Stone was capable of doing). The Flames were good when they had the puck, they were a good possession team... but man... when the other team had the puck in our end it was rough without the top pairing or when Brodie had a legitimate partner out there.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I don't know. I would love Schenn but it basically took him 5 years to hit the same level of production that Bennett achieved in his rookie season. It doesn't seem like a good idea to give up all Bennett's cost controlled years, for a guy he has the ability to as good as in the next year or 2.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Sustainable success requires young ELC guys continually graduating to fill holes. We can't move Dube, Fox, Kylington and two consecutive 1st round picks and expect that to happen.

If any of those deals came to fruition, it would leave us without a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in 2017, and without a 1st and 2nd in 2018.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I like the Niederreiter and Schneider trades..it is purging a bit of the flames prospect depth but I do like them even though I think both Minnisota and New Jersey would want more higher end prospects than whats offered so I think they reject it.

Bringing in Schenn for Bennett just doesn't make sense. Bennett's upside is way higher and he is not close to being developed yet. The flames need to either commit to shifting him to the wing OR give him some actual talent to play with on his wings.

I have no problem with a depth resigning of Engalland however giving him another $2 M AAV for a year just means that he would be way overpaid by the flames for another year. His spot on the depth chart should go to someone making less than $1 M per year.
Schenn is twice the player Bennett is and is what he hope Bennett can become. The way people overrate Bennett here just because he was the highest ever pick is getting stupid.

Engelland at $2 million is fair market value, he's easily played like a $2 million defenseman during his tenure here. Also having your 3 bottom spots on the blueline taken by kids would be downright moronic as it give you no one capable of moving up if someone in the top 4 gets injured.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Sustainable success requires young ELC guys continually graduating to fill holes. We can't move Dube, Fox, Kylington and two consecutive 1st round picks and expect that to happen.

If any of those deals came to fruition, it would leave us without a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in 2017, and without a 1st and 2nd in 2018.
It's like you guys don't understand that I'm just having fun and well aware none of this **** will ever happen. You guys really need to lighten up.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The trade proposals on the last page were horrendous. Nothing unexpected or surprising.

Just an FYI.
Brayden Schenn's top three linemates over the past three seasons are:
Claude Giroux, Wayne Simmonds & Vakub Voracek.

Also, let me know when Schenn actually sticks as a centre :laugh: Philly has been hesitant to give him extend time down the middle, unlike Bennett who shined when he wasn't anchored down by the ultra-talented Troy Brouwer.

Also at the same age as Bennett, Schenn had a monster season of 18 points splitting time in the AHL/NHL. Clearly, clearly a cut above Bennett :laugh:

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I can't be the only one who sees the irony of this board's most notorious prospect burier/ good young player hater thinking Jon Gillies is suddenly an NHLer after not even being his own team's best goalie last year :laugh:
yeah, but I'm kinda used to it

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Time for me ""have fun""No pretense of these being good. I'm just trying to fit in.

Calgary Loses to Expansion:
Brett Kulak

Calgary Trades:
Sean Monahan (6.375 out)
New York Trades:
Henrik Lundqvist (8.5 in)

Calgary Trades:
Troy Brouwer (4.5 out)
San Jose Trades:
Mikkel Boedker (4.0 in)

Calgary Trades:
Frolik (4.5 out)
Bouma (2.2 out)
Vancouver Trades:
Eriksson (6.0 in)

Calgary Trades:
Jon Gillies (RFA out)
Minnesota Trades:
Matt Dumba (2.55 in)

Calgary Trades:
Matthew Tkachuk (ELC out)
Los Angeles Trades:
Anze Kopitar (10.0 in)

Calgary Trades:
#1 OA
Johnny Gaudreau (6.75 out)
Tampa Trades:
Anton Stralman (4.5 in)
Braden Point (ELC)

Calgary Trades:
Dougie Hamilton (5.75 out)
Detroit Trades:
Nicklas Kronwall (4.75 in)
Larkin (ELC in)

Calgary Signs:
Jarome Iginla

Backlund-Kopitar-Ferland
Larkin-Bennett-Eriksson
Mangiapane-Jankowski-Lazar
Stajan-Point-Iginla
Boedkker
Hathaway

Brodie-Dumba
Giordano-Stralman
Kronwall-Andersson
Wotherspoon

Lundqvist
Parsons
Am I doing this right? Don't need to answer. I'm not, I didn't remotely bother to check the cap hits.
To be fair, Mattias Ekholm, Roman Josi, PK Subban all have good to better than average size/build. So not sure what you're getting at :laugh

Josi makes Brodie look like Giordano in terms of winning battles and making clean plays to exit the zone, and Ellis is extremely undersized.

As for Subban/Ekholm, they're no bigger than Giordano/Hamilton.

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Point 3 makes no difference, both will be eligible to be UFAs at 27. The 40 game threshold only matters for 18 and 19 year olds, for example Tkachuk will be eligible to be a UFA after 7 seasons rather than waiting until he is 27.

Do you know what that threshold is and what it signifies? Is it a UFA age or something? Why are both capped specifically at 30 games? They brought up Andersson once Kulak filled up to 30 games.

They did outplay him. Our coach is just delusional since he had Grossmann in Dallas.

They are. Our coach is just delusional since he had Bart in Vancouver.

There's nothing more to be said other than "our coach trusts players he's had before over players that are better".

You can tack Engelland onto that list, as Gulutzan coached Engelland in Las Vegas.

Which is kind of scary going forward as we are trying to get better and these kind of former-player biases are of no benefit to the team. It took Ferland more than half the season to get past Chiasson(and Brouwer) on Gulutzan's depth chart despite outplaying both since Day 1. And that's with Ferland already being an established NHLer.

I don't disagree that Grossmann + Bartkowski should have played as much as they did.

I hope that Gully has familiarity with the kids to play them going forward.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Do you know what that threshold is and what it signifies? Is it a UFA age or something? Why are both capped specifically at 30 games? They brought up Andersson once Kulak filled up to 30 games.

I don't disagree that Grossmann + Bartkowski should have played as much as they did.

I hope that Gully has familiarity with the kids to play them going forward.

I might be wrong on this but I think at the time Kulak was injured and we had just lost Stone to injury and Dougie was day-day so they wanted to bring up a RHS incase Dougie couldn't play the next game, because Gultuzan likes the LHS-RHS pairing type.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I might be wrong on this but I think at the time Kulak was injured and we had just lost Stone to injury and Dougie was day-day so they wanted to bring up a RHS incase Dougie couldn't play the next game, because Gultuzan likes the LHS-RHS pairing type.

Yet he does not bug Trev to get an actual top 6 RHS forward?

Last edited:

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
The threshold is 40 games in a season for it to be an accrued season, it affects UFA age as a player becomes a UFA after 7 accrued seasons or they are 27, whichever comes first.

For example, in 2014-15 Draisaitl was sent down after 37 games, that did not count as an accrued season. However his 2015-16 season saw him play 72 games, so that was an accrued season. This means that Drai will now be eligible to be a UFA in the summer of 2022, rather than 2023. This example also applies to Sam Bennett.

Now with Tkachuk, Laine and Matthews, they will now be eligible to be UFAs in the Summer of 2023, but should someone like Poolboy, Dubois or Juolevi not play 40 games in the NHL next season, they won't be eligible to be UFAs until 2025, but if they do play 40+ next season they would be UFA eligible in 2024.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Schenn is twice the player Bennett is and is what he hope Bennett can become. The way people overrate Bennett here just because he was the highest ever pick is getting stupid.

No Schenn is not twice the player Bennett is and no he is not what we hope Bennett becomes. It has nothing to do with him being the highest pick ever, it's the fact that he has the entire toolbox to be a top end player, that's why he gets the play he does. To think what you do is what's getting stupid. Braydon Schenn is dime a dozen. Look around the league and see how many players do the exact same thing. Bailey, Vrbata, Bozak, Sheary, Eaves, Marchessault, Gagner, all right in the same range as Schenn. What exactly makes them special and worth Bennett? Exactly. Nothing. Just like Braydon Schenn isn't worth giving up Bennett because you find Schenn types everywhere.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
At Kulak's age, games played was not even a consideration. The only affect accrued seasons have on his career at this point is in regards to his pension.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
No Schenn is not twice the player Bennett is and no he is not what we hope Bennett becomes. It has nothing to do with him being the highest pick ever, it's the fact that he has the entire toolbox to be a top end player, that's why he gets the play he does. To think what you do is what's getting stupid. Braydon Schenn is dime a dozen. Look around the league and see how many players do the exact same thing. Bailey, Vrbata, Bozak, Sheary, Eaves, Marchessault, Gagner, all right in the same range as Schenn. What exactly makes them special and worth Bennett? Exactly. Nothing. Just like Braydon Schenn isn't worth giving up Bennett because you find Schenn types everywhere.
No Bennett does not have the entire tool box. He's not that intelligent of a player.

Brayden Scheen is a dime a dozen player? That is up there with calling Monahan a 3rd line center for the dumbest things ever uttered on HF

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Time for me ""have fun""No pretense of these being good. I'm just trying to fit in.

Calgary Loses to Expansion:
Brett Kulak

Calgary Trades:
Sean Monahan (6.375 out)
New York Trades:
Henrik Lundqvist (8.5 in)

Calgary Trades:
Troy Brouwer (4.5 out)
San Jose Trades:
Mikkel Boedker (4.0 in)

Calgary Trades:
Frolik (4.5 out)
Bouma (2.2 out)
Vancouver Trades:
Eriksson (6.0 in)

Calgary Trades:
Jon Gillies (RFA out)
Minnesota Trades:
Matt Dumba (2.55 in)

Calgary Trades:
Matthew Tkachuk (ELC out)
Los Angeles Trades:
Anze Kopitar (10.0 in)

Calgary Trades:
#16 OA
Johnny Gaudreau (6.75 out)
Tampa Trades:
Anton Stralman (4.5 in)
Braden Point (ELC)

Calgary Trades:
Dougie Hamilton (5.75 out)
Detroit Trades:
Nicklas Kronwall (4.75 in)
Larkin (ELC in)

Calgary Signs:
Jarome Iginla

Backlund-Kopitar-Ferland
Larkin-Bennett-Eriksson
Mangiapane-Jankowski-Lazar
Stajan-Point-Iginla
Boedkker
Hathaway

Brodie-Dumba
Giordano-Stralman
Kronwall-Andersson
Wotherspoon

Lundqvist
Parsons
/QUOTE]

Bolded means terrible for us. Italics means the other team won't do it. Underlined means not a good deal for us.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Care to name some more? None of the guys you listed is a good Schenn comparable save for maybe Sheary, even with him he is no where near as physical as Schenn. You make it sound like every team has a Schenn type player. The fact you included a player like Vrbata as a comparable is very telling.

I guess I will just add Schenn to the growing list of names that Bennett is going to be better than...

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
:laugh:
Toughness / Mean Streak / Physical Presence?

Unless you've got a plan for acquiring Radko Gudas or Josh Manson, you're no more soft than ANY other playoff team. In fact Manson is the only such competent guy left in this year's top 4 and he's a unicorn.

I dunno about this. Phaneuf has stepped up his game pretty huge and been physical while effective at both ends of the ice, or at least far more effective than he usually is.

Methot falls under that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->