Speculation: Armchair GM Thread Mk. II - Now Paging Derek Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Apparently several teams have interest in Kevin Hayes, I wonder if we are one of them.

Him as our 3rd line centre would make a lot of sense. Would distribute the scoring a bit down the line; he's good on both ends of the ice too. He gets murdered on matchups in NY; he'd be given the Janko type assignment in Calgary... He'd get a lot of easy minutes that he could chew down on.

I'm not sure what it'd take though. The guy's a huge centre, 25 goal scorer with a positive goal differential on a miserable team.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Johnny and Hayes are really good friends (going back from their time in Boston College?). I could see them being tried together

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Curious why you think Klimchuk has had constant regression? Had a scoring jump his second year in the A, and put up the same ppg this year while being better off the puck in my opinion. I think there's still a good chance of finding a third line scoring wing there.

It'd be a stretch, but maybe he can carve out an NHL career because of the IQ and speed.
With AHL numbers you really don't know, especially at that age. We've seen guys go PPG+ and be little more than a tweener. We've seen guys do nothing in the AHL and carve out a decent NHL career. Dunno.

That 2013 draft was miserable. We essentially missed on 4/5 picks that year in the first round.

In terms of your question. I think the majority of the RFA's will get another short look. Even guys like Shinkaruk. Recently Brad Treliving more or less made the 'shit or get off the pot' type comment about Shinkaruk, so I think he'll give him a chance to give it one more go. Poirier will be brougth back because of the issues he had. It really sucks, because there was a definite time where he was almost a lock at being an NHL'er. He has all the tools needed for today's NHL too, which is what also sucks.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Him as our 3rd line centre would make a lot of sense. Would distribute the scoring a bit down the line; he's good on both ends of the ice too. He gets murdered on matchups in NY; he'd be given the Janko type assignment in Calgary... He'd get a lot of easy minutes that he could chew down on.

I'm not sure what it'd take though. The guy's a huge centre, 25 goal scorer with a positive goal differential on a miserable team.

A 1st round draft pick.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Tkachuk - Monahan - X
Gaudreau - Hayes - X
X - Backlund - Frolik

Pretty decent top 9. Bennett, Ferland, and Foo would be the ones to fill in the top 9 imo.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Curious why you think Klimchuk has had constant regression? Had a scoring jump his second year in the A, and put up the same ppg this year while being better off the puck in my opinion. I think there's still a good chance of finding a third line scoring wing there.

Where did I say Klimchuk had constant regression ? I said shinkaruk and Poirier did . I said Klimchuk will probably get another year over Poirier and shinkaruk because he hasn't regressed.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Two small moves, that I think would make this team much better

Kylington + Rittich for Ho Sang

Stone for Leivo

Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett
Tkachuk-Backlund-Foo
Leivo-Jankowski-Ho Sang
Ferland-Shore-Frolik
Lazar/Brouwer

Gio-Hamilton
Brodie-Andersson
Valimaki-Hamonic
Kulak

Smith
Gillies

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
TJ Brodie
Troy Brouwer

for

RFA Kevin Hayes
Brendan Smith
2018 2nd round pick (NJD)
2018 3rd round pick (BOS)

Breaks down like:

Brodie for Hayes plus the 2nd
Brouwer for Smith plus the 3rd (because Smith has an extra year compared to Brouwer and actually spent time in the AHL last year so Flames are taking more risk here)

Smith could be salvageable, and he broke into the league while Peters was an assistant in Detroit, so there is familiarity there.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I wouldn’t be displeased with Hayes, but I don’t know I if I give up anyone of Andersson/Valimaki/Fox for him. I’d let go of Kylington as part of a package, but not the other three. Andersson and Valimaki are guaranteed top 4 guys and the ceiling on Fox is just too high to let go of in a deal for a Hayes quality player IMO.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I wouldn’t be displeased with Hayes, but I don’t know I if I give up anyone of Andersson/Valimaki/Fox for him. I’d let go of Kylington as part of a package, but not the other three. Andersson and Valimaki are guaranteed top 4 guys and the ceiling on Fox is just too high to let go of in a deal for a Hayes quality player IMO.

Agreed. I’m not saying I would do that. Just feel it would probably be the ask.

Honestly Valimaki is right up there with Gaudreau, Monahan and Tkachuk as untouchables IMO. We need his LHS going forward. Even if he is comparable to Fox/Andersson

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Two small moves, that I think would make this team much better

Kylington + Rittich for Ho Sang

Stone for Leivo

Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett
Tkachuk-Backlund-Foo
Leivo-Jankowski-Ho Sang
Ferland-Shore-Frolik
Lazar/Brouwer

Gio-Hamilton
Brodie-Andersson
Valimaki-Hamonic
Kulak

Smith
Gillies

What do you have against Ferland?

Everyone is down on him but he doesn’t need PP time to contribute goals. There is value in that... 5 on 5 he helps this team. He leads our team in hits every years and yet people mock him for not being physical.

4th line behind a bunch of guys that have proven zero at the NHL level?

Reactions: SmellOfVictory

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Agreed. I’m not saying I would do that. Just feel it would probably be the ask.

Honestly Valimaki is right up there with Gaudreau, Monahan and Tkachuk as untouchables IMO. We need his LHS going forward. Even if he is comparable to Fox/Andersson

Juuso gets underrated around this forum in general. Dude's a stud.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
What do you have against Ferland?

Everyone is down on him but he doesn’t need PP time to contribute goals. There is value in that... 5 on 5 he helps this team. He leads our team in hits every years and yet people mock him for not being physical.

4th line behind a bunch of guys that have proven zero at the NHL level?
I don’t have anything against Ferland. I just recognize him for what he is, a hard hitting, good skater, with a good shot, who has limited hockey IQ and abilities. He worked on the top line because he played with truly elite players but was clearly a passenger, that contributed very little in term of creating any sort of offense. I don’t think he’s a top 6 player away from Johnny and Monahan.

I’d like to see Bennett on the top line, I like Foo on the 2nd and Ho Sang simply has offensive abilities that Ferland will never have. I chose Leivo on the 3rd because I lacked a shooter on the 4th line but the two are pretty interchangeable. If it makes you feel better, I feel Ferland is the 2nd best player on his line, behind Frolik.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->