Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: Jagrbombs all around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I don't think Pittsburgh will blow it up; they'll re-tweak a bit.
If you have Crosby and Malkin, you'll never blow up; you'll just surround them with talent. They need help on D and a 3C.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
If Kessel is the piece to put you over the top and turn you into a contender, you make the deal especially if it gives you a 2-3 year serious window as a contender.

I'd even allow the Flames to trade Kylington.

Kylington doesn’t get you very close to Kessel imo and we don’t have a lot of high draft picks to kick in. I think we’re still a few years of development away from being close to contending and adding him during that time period just really doesn’t make sense given how much of the future we’d probably have to mortgage

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Gaudreau-Monahan-Kessel would be one of the most dangerous lines in the league, no doubt.

Ferland+ any D prospect + any forward prospect not on the team/ 1st rounder 2019

Does that move the dial at all? I think with Kessel we're a competitor. Our core guys are all young so losing another pick is almost meaningless if it means deep playoff runs. The cap inflation will pretty much cover kessel's contract...

I think it's a gamble but also could be a huge pick up for us.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Kylington doesn’t get you very close to Kessel imo and we don’t have a lot of high draft picks to kick in. I think we’re still a few years of development away from being close to contending and adding him during that time period just really doesn’t make sense given how much of the future we’d probably have to mortgage
No he doesn't, I was thinking as part of a package.

I often forget that my sarcastic optimism around Kylington is... an acquired taste.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
No he doesn't, I was thinking as part of a package.

I often forget that my sarcastic optimism around Kylington is... an acquired taste.

Ahh my mistake. I don’t hate him but I was genuinely worried you were serious. Good to know

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Rumors today about Pittsburgh considering blowing it up. I would rather Phil Kessel than any of the names we were discussing. Do you think he could be had for a similar price?
Source? Because the only rumor I've heard is the Pens are looking to make a big move. This is probably like when you claimed "Sabres fan agree on Andersson straight up for Kane" when only one agreed and then you blew it out of proportion

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
lol stempy and hudler? really guys?! For the record, last we heard hudler was potentially visiting czech prison haha.

OKG I stopped reading when you said Eichel was better than johnny. Eichel's not even as good as Monahan at the moment, wouldn't surprise me if he never got there either. You're completely divorced from reality man.

Harvey and I are of like mind on this one- I believe Kane could push us over the top. Kanes goals are a result of kane. Ferland is a complimentary piece.

People would despise Kane until that beautiful man scored 30 goals in 30 games. Backlund is loved for his flo, Kane would be loved for his Fro.

In all seriousness, having him with Tkachuk and Bennett on the roster, would make us a major force to be reckoned with.

Reactions: Flameshomer

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Until this team can find another gear and actually win a few important games, we shouldn’t waste assets on rentals. What we should consider doing is burning a lesser asset to move Brouwer, if necessary. Free up that 4.5 million and aggressively throw it at James Neal in the offseason. He’s a far better match than anyone that’s been mentioned thus far and would cost a fraction of the assets to obtain. The pieces are already in place but until they start showing up consistently and play like they want to win a cup, rentals will just be a waste of assets.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Until this team can find another gear and actually win a few important games, we shouldn’t waste assets on rentals. What we should consider doing is burning a lesser asset to move Brouwer, if necessary. Free up that 4.5 million and aggressively throw it at James Neal in the offseason. He’s a far better match than anyone that’s been mentioned thus far and would cost a fraction of the assets to obtain. The pieces are already in place but until they start showing up consistently and play like they want to win a cup, rentals will just be a waste of assets.

We have no draft pick so we should "waste" whatever to win now

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
We have no draft pick so we should "waste" whatever to win now
You could add a Kane and a Kessel, they’d still find a way to lose. This team seriously lacks drive, killer instinct and heart. Until they correct this, they’re just a bubble team, no matter how much talent is on the team. Sucks to say but it’s true

Reactions: Cyrano

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
You could add a Kane and a Kessel, they’d still find a way to lose. This team seriously lacks drive, killer instinct and heart. Until they correct this, they’re just a bubble team, no matter how much talent is on the team. Sucks to say but it’s true

Yeah they should can GG ASAP

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I just heard Friedman on the radio, he just said Treliving is definitely looking at adding a top 6 winger. He someone like "Kane". Meaning a physical winger that scores goals is my take. He is basically saying, we are looking at Kane. :)

He said the tricky part is that we would probably need to give up a Gillies and another defensive prospect, since we don't have picks.

Reactions: Flameshomer

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I wish I knew how to post youtube videos but since I don't please imagine the Michael Scott "No" video from youtube in this post.

I will still hold out hope that Treliving is the above average GM that I think he is but hearing these rumours are terrifying.

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
I just heard Friedman on the radio, he just said Treliving is definitely looking at adding a top 6 winger. He someone like "Kane". Meaning a physical winger that scores goals is my take. He is basically saying, we are looking at Kane. :)

He said the tricky part is that we would probably need to give up a Gillies and another defensive prospect, since we don't have picks.

Out of curiosity, would you be more willing to give up Gillies or the '19 1st?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I realized you asked Harvey and not me but (other than an obvious neither as trading for Kane would be a god awful move) I would say moving Gillies would be much more preferred as a Flames team with Kane on it likely would be headed towards a very high pick in 2019.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I know provincial rivalry aside Patrick Maroon also fits the bill; although, I really don't know how good of a player he is away from McDavid and Getzlaf.

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
That is tough, I guess it really depends on if Kane is extended (this would be a must IMO), and how confident management is in Rittich and Parsons. I would personally probably do it.

Oh, my wording might have been a little confusing there. I was wonder if, if it came down to it, you'd rather trade away Gillies or trade away the 1st. Not both of them.. :wg:

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
If we acquire him, Kane will be the whipping boy on this board as soon as he's no longer a ppg player.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
If we acquire him, Kane will be the whipping boy on this board as soon as he's no longer a ppg player.

There is zero reason to think that he will be a PPG player since he has been a 40 point guy for the majority of his career.

One positive for many here is that he wouldn't be a whipping boy for me because I think I would have to take a break if they added him. It would be such a disaster from an off-ice aspect with how much of a d-bag he is and a pretty big damnation into Treliving actually being a terrible GM which would suck for the future of our team on the ice.

Reactions: Cyrano

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I’d do Kylington straight up. That’s about it though. No Fox or Valimaki or Andersson. Maybe Gillies but I just see trading young goalies with upside as a stupid thing to do.

We have a solid group of young D. One is expendable.

Any more then that and it’s a bad trade.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Didn’t Treliving say something to the effect that he didn’t believe in the idea of rentals? Or did I just dream that up?

Andersson has 16 points in 20 games as a 21 year old, and has been rock solid defensively, he’s NHL ready. Just for comparison sake Brodie’s best stint in the AHL came as a 22 year old and he posted 20 points in 35 games, let that sink in a bit.

There’s definitely something going on but I’ve got a feeling it’ll be much bigger. I’m calling Hamilton + Lazar for Reinhart + Kane.

Sign Reinhart to a 3 year/$4 million bridge deal, Backlund’s extension comes solely from the savings on the Hamilton deal. That leave approximately $8 million in cap to extend Kane. I’m thinking realistically 5-6 years@$6.5 million. The following year we lose Smith, all old buy outs come off the books and if we have to buy out Brouwer. Resign Tkachuk and Bennett. With the cap increases you take the 2 best out of 3 defensemen and run with it, replacing internally. Same with the goalies.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Kane
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik/Foo
Bennett-Jankowski-Reinhart

That’s a great top 9

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad