Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: I can't believe it's not butter, I can't believe we didn't get Ryan Hartman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I love Phaneuf and think it is embarrassing how he was and still is treated by Flames fans but it makes no sense at all to bring him back with the history he has with the team/fans and his contract. Even with the Sens retaining (which there is about a zero percent chance that Melnyk is willing to do) it still doesn't make any sense.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Hahahahaha I can't believe they're paying that scrub 7 million

Jagr4President

Nov 16, 2017
Calgary
With the TDL this month and the flames lacking depth scoring and missing draft picks for this year what would you move to make the team better? Personally I would move Andersson for Domi, if we could work something around that.

What do you think the flames should do at the TDL

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
From the main boards:
Per TSN Insider Trading
Insider Trading: Asking price set for Nash

LeBrun says that the Flames would like to acquire a scoring winger, but without their next two first rounders it might be a little tricky. Says that the Flames are stacked in goal with Tyler Parsons, Jon Gillies and David Rittich and that the Flames are listening on the latter two in trade talks.
I do not like this

And Flames out. He's a left shot anyway

Haha good luck with that

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Greetings Flamels. Over on the Avs board we've been talking about needing a young goalie, one poster threw out Gilles, what would the price be according to you guys? I assume that Parsons is ahead of Gilles, but I remember Gilles at one point was highly thought of.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Greetings Flamels. Over on the Avs board we've been talking about needing a young goalie, one poster threw out Gilles, what would the price be according to you guys? I assume that Parsons is ahead of Gilles, but I remember Gilles at one point was highly thought of.

Goalies are tough, never know which one is going to develop really. Gillies has been playing much better in the A this year than parsons has in the coast but it’s only Parsons first year pro. Tough to price to be honest, I imagine Colorado isn’t interested in moving any young pieces. Our primary need is a top 6 RW but I don’t think Gillies fetches that on his own

Edit: Also we’re going to be very hesitant to move any goalies because we haven’t had stability since Kiprusoff (and now smith this year). We’re banking on one of Gillies, Parsons, Rittich to take over following Smith and I doubt the organization moves one if it’s not part of a package for a top 6 RW

Edit edit: I know Colorado won’t want to move Rantanen or Compher so probably not ideal trading partners

Last edited:

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Goalies are tough, never know which one is going to develop really. Gillies has been playing much better in the A this year than parsons has in the coast but it’s only Parsons first year pro. Tough to price to be honest, I imagine Colorado isn’t interested in moving any young pieces. Our primary need is a top 6 RW but I don’t think Gillies fetches that on his own

Edit: Also we’re going to be very hesitant to move any goalies because we haven’t had stability since Kiprusoff (and now smith this year). We’re banking on one of Gillies, Parsons, Rittich to take over following Smith and I doubt the organization moves one if it’s not part of a package for a top 6 RW

Edit edit: I know Colorado won’t want to move Rantanen or Compher so probably not ideal trading partners

Yeah, doesn't sound like it :laugh: especially for Mikko. Top 6 winger is also an area of weakness moving forward for us too.

A part of me would be willing to maybe part with Kerfoot, but even then it's iffy.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Why would we be listening on offers for Rittich? He might be the first goalie to come up through the ranks and have some staying power in forever. Smith also won't last forever so why entertain offers for Gillies? Dumb dumb dumb

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I think goalies are also tough because their value will vary widely from team to team, moreso than other positions because you can only have so many goalies unlike other positions and it seems assessment of goalies varies a ton.

Berra (funnily enough talking about Colorado) is a perfect example where I assume 20 teams would have passed right off the bat, 8 may have looked at giving a late pick and 1 was willing to give up a 2nd.

If there is a team that really like Gillies I think you could get a decent piece for him. Most fans will scoff and make stupid proposals because it doesn't make sense for them but with his size and history I could easily see a team thinking he could be an answer for them.

As for Colorado I don't really see a fit that makes sense to me.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
also wrong thread.

I get the feeling Treliving is worried he will be fired if they miss the playoffs.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I could see Gillies being used as a piece in getting a scoring winger, but he's having a really good year and Parsons is certainly not ahead of him yet. I'm not saying he won't be, but currently Gillies is still a decent amount better.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

You get Tage Thompson from the Blues for us, we'll send you Gillies, and you send whatever the Blues want from your system for Tage Thompson

:naughty:

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Why would we be listening on offers for Rittich? He might be the first goalie to come up through the ranks and have some staying power in forever. Smith also won't last forever so why entertain offers for Gillies? Dumb dumb dumb

I could see it if Washington or similar is looking to move a guy like Grubauer and think Rittich will sign for cheaper.... So lateral move for cap reasons. But then why would we bother moving Rittich? We would also want that cap. It's risky, but I think Smith mentoring Rittich is a great thing.

Rittich is a sponge for knowledge. I'd keep him unless the offer was Rittich-ulous.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I could see it if Washington or similar is looking to move a guy like Grubauer and think Rittich will sign for cheaper.... So lateral move for cap reasons. But then why would we bother moving Rittich? We would also want that cap. It's risky, but I think Smith mentoring Rittich is a great thing.

Rittich is a sponge for knowledge. I'd keep him unless the offer was Rittich-ulous.
Grubauer is a significant upgrade on Rittich, I don't care what anyone says. If Washongton was that stupid, you do that deal all day, sign Grubauer to a 4-6 year deal and worry about the cap consequences later. Grubauer would immediately become our next in line starter.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Grubauer is a significant upgrade on Rittich, I don't care what anyone says. If Washongton was that stupid, you do that deal all day, sign Grubauer to a 4-6 year deal and worry about the cap consequences later. Grubauer would immediately become our next in line starter.

Agreed. Yeah sorry I wasn't implying a 1:1 Grubauer Rittich trade was on the table or even what we should demand. Confusing wording on my part.

I meant I could see Tre listening in on offers revolving around situations like Grubauer and Washington's future

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Agreed. Yeah sorry I wasn't implying a 1:1 Grubauer Rittich trade was on the table or even what we should demand. Confusing wording on my part.

I meant I could see Tre listening in on offers revolving around situations like Grubauer and Washington's future
that makes way more sense, thanks fro clarifying

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Sure wish there was a way we could pry DeBrincat out of Chicago. Bet the cost would be obscenely high.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Sure wish there was a way we could pry DeBrincat out of Chicago. Bet the cost would be obscenely high.
We might as well be talking about trading for Barzal out of NYI or Keller out of Arizona. Not a Fing chance. Unfortunate because so many teams slept on him but this guy always had tons of obvious skill. If only Bennett was even close to his level offensively we'd be laughing.

Anyways, I know stone isn't available, but at this point I think we should just throw the moon at the senators.

Gillies, Bennett, R. Andersson, and Dube for Stone. That's 4 1sts worth of value. One potential starter goalie with great AHL numbers, one struggling forward that has shown flashes of brilliance and might be a good cost controlled asset if he can turn it around, a 21 year old right handed swedish defender AHL allstar, and the most recent captain of Canada's world junior team. How can you not think about that? Hoffman is having more success with their "centre of the future" duchene lately as well. He'll stay for cheaper, making eugene happy and giving him more money to keep his real kahuna EK. Meanwhile, we get the piece we are desperately missing up front.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
That is a lot of pieces and youth for a guy that takes us from bubble play-off team to maybe a 2nd place finish in our division and in both cases needing a miracle to get to or win the Cup.

And even then I still think the Sens say no.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->