Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: I can't believe it's not butter, I can't believe we didn't get Ryan Hartman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Bennett - Backlund - Ferland
Mangiapane - Jankowski - Frolik
Hathaway - Shore - Brouwer

Brouwer not bought out as there are no big UFA acquisitions
I like this lineup but I'd have Lazar/Klimchuk in over Hathaway. With an Ahler (Klimchuk-Shore-Lazar?) replacing Brouwer after next year where I expect him to be moveable again.

Also if he's not too expensive David Perron would be a good fit for us.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I like this lineup but I'd have Lazar/Klimchuk in over Hathaway. With an Ahler (Klimchuk-Shore-Lazar?) replacing Brouwer after next year where I expect him to be moveable again.

Also if he's not too expensive David Perron would be a good fit for us.

Don't think Klimchuk's ready/likely never will be. Seems like he's more or less stagnated down in Stockton. I think he at least needs one more year before I'd be willing to give him an NHL job.

Perron I think stays in Vegas, but if not I'd definitely be into signing him

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Don't think Klimchuk's ready/likely never will be. Seems like he's more or less stagnated down in Stockton. I think he at least needs one more year before I'd be willing to give him an NHL job.

Perron I think stays in Vegas, but if not I'd definitely be into signing him

I think Klimchuk could fill a 4th line role next year, but I don't see much beyond that. I'd also really like to see Perron.

Tkachuk - Monahan - Gaudreau
Perron/Ferland - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - Ferland/Perron
Lazar - Shore - Brouwer

If they can't land a winger this offseason, target Simmonds/Skinner/Wheeler the following year.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I'm sorry Lazar Beams but your lineup makes me sick to my stomach. This team has proven this year that the forward core can't get it done consistently enough to be a true playoff threat. That needs to change, dramatically. Sticking with essentially what we have is recipe for failure.

Unless we have a coaching change which somehow completely changes the dynamic of our forward group, we need more punch, and better depth.

Yup. Doesn't do much for me either, but short of a massive Phaneuf-esque trade I don't see much of an overhaul.

I'd try this out. Oddly enough, Calgary already has the RW for that Monahan line. Versteeg.

Edit: quoted wrong post. Will fix my terrible mistake later.
That was tried once, it failed miserably. Of course, it failed so spectacularly in part because of weird pre-seasons for both Gaudreau and Monahan as much as having Versteeg on the line. Not opposed to trying it again.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Perron is going to get paid after the season he has had. Hes going to get 6mil easily with term. I dont see him coming here for two reasons. One, I dont see Vegas letting him go. Two, I dont see Treliving offering him enough on contract if he reaches free agency. In order to get Perron here youd have to almost certainly move Brouwer. Or you are losing Tkachuk or Bennett for sure.

If you are going to dream big though go after Neal. Hes not a right handed shot, but he can snipe better then anyone else on the Flames roster. You might even be able to get him at slightly less term.

Reactions: Cyrano

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Perron is going to get paid after the season he has had. Hes going to get 6mil easily with term. I dont see him coming here for two reasons. One, I dont see Vegas letting him go. Two, I dont see Treliving offering him enough on contract if he reaches free agency. In order to get Perron here youd have to almost certainly move Brouwer. Or you are losing Tkachuk or Bennett for sure.

If you are going to dream big though go after Neal. Hes not a right handed shot, but he can snipe better then anyone else on the Flames roster. You might even be able to get him at slightly less term.

Yup, Perron is 29 coming off a ppg season. He's getting 6x6 minimum unless he tests free agency, but I also doubt other GMs believe their coach can milk Perron like Gallant can

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Perron looks like a candidate for huge regression if he leaves Vegas. Do not want.

Try for Neal and don't bother with any other UFA

Edit: nvm wouldn't be opposed to giving Thornton a 2 year deal

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Aside from the pipe dream of Tavares, I wouldn't mind seeing the Flames sign Hansen to a 1-2 year deal. He should be pretty cheap after the year he's had, but I think he's still a capable 3rd liner.

Reactions: snipetype

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
When the GM looks at possible UFA/trade candidates for the top 6 winger position, the most important question he needs to ask himself is: Can he shoot?

The Flames have actually zero threats to score from the perimeter in their forward group. Could probably count the amount of goals they've scored this year outside the slot on one hand. Somebody who can shoot hard and accurate would be a massive boost to the team's offence.

I bet Kovalchuk could hit 40 goals playing with Johnny and Monny. About the only thing that doesn't decline dramatically as a player ages is their shot. 3 years 19.5 million.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
That was tried once, it failed miserably. Of course, it failed so spectacularly in part because of weird pre-seasons for both Gaudreau and Monahan as much as having Versteeg on the line. Not opposed to trying it again.

Versteeg was tried with Monahan a few times earlier this year and it worked reasonably well.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
When the GM looks at possible UFA/trade candidates for the top 6 winger position, the most important question he needs to ask himself is: Can he shoot?

The Flames have actually zero threats to score from the perimeter in their forward group. Could probably count the amount of goals they've scored this year outside the slot on one hand. Somebody who can shoot hard and accurate would be a massive boost to the team's offence.

I bet Kovalchuk could hit 40 goals playing with Johnny and Monny. About the only thing that doesn't decline dramatically as a player ages is their shot. 3 years 19.5 million.

Neal fits this description as well.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
For the bottom six I would like to pickup Rousell if he becomes available. Having a speedy pest in the bottom six somewhere would be great.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'm reading some of these proposals and... man.

If I'm making up unrealistic proposals, I want Corey Perry without giving up MT.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
For the bottom six I would like to pickup Rousell if he becomes available. Having a speedy pest in the bottom six somewhere would be great.
WARNING LONG POST

I don't like it. I think we have enough of that player already. The bottom 6 needs a serious talent upgrade. I guess Rousell could be a 4th liner but he shouldn't be above that.

The bottom 6s of the 5 teams I consider true contenders right now. In no particular order. Some of these aren't the actual lines used but more of a show of depth.

Winnipeg
Perreault-Little-Roslovic
Coop-Lowry-Armia (That 4th line is probably better than our third line lmao and their top 6 is stacked ridiculous forward depth)

Nashville
Hartnell-Bonino-Hartman
Sissons-Fisher-Watson

Not as good as some of the others but still an upgrade on ours IMO.

Boston
Admittedly they don't really fit the outline their bottom 6 is f***ed up.

Haeinen-Ril. Nash-Schaller/Wingels (Better than ours Nash and Haenin are having great seasons.)
Kuraly-Gionta-Wingels/Schaller

They also have the best line in hockey so they can afford to downgrade a little in the bottom 6.

Pittsburgh

Rust-Brassard-Kessel (Third line or first line? I'm a fan of Bryan rust guys like him are part of the reason PIT went from a pretender to a contender in a few short years. Good cheap depth is imperative).

Jooris-Sheahan-Kuhnhakel or other random AHLer. Low end 3C centering the 4th line.

Tampa Bay
Another team stacked at the forward position.

Killorn-Johnson-Erne (Currently TJ is their 2RW but Palat isn't playing in the lineup I'm looking at so one of TJ/Palat/Gourde/JT Miller would play in the bottom 6.

Kunitz-Paquette-Callahan
These guys are paid too much but they're a good 4th line I think and on top of that they have an amazing blue line.

The point I'm trying to make is I think you need a few borderline top 6 guys in your bottom 6. The only guy we have that even remotely fits that description is Bennett (who still doesn't produce a lot) and Ferland/Frolik who both play in our top 6.

Fixing this should be a priority, I think a lot of those players for other teams tend to come from within but this is where the terrible drafting aside from the 4th round from the Sutter era to 2014 really hurts us. I think there is some hope in guys like Dube, Mangiapane, Phillips, Gawdin, Joly and Ruzicka but not all of those guys are going to be hits so we likely need to adress this via FA or trades.

Our top 6 also isn't as good as these contenders so it's definitely the position as a whole that needs to be addressed but I think a good deep team is better than a top heavy team. Crosby and Malkin play with one meh player each in order to get the most out of their forward group. We kind of do that with Ferland on the top line.

Reactions: The Gnome

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
You upgrade the top 6 to put Frolik down onto the 3rd line. Then fill the rest out with kids like Dube, Mangiapane, maybe Foo, etc...I still think if Rousell doesn't re-up in Dallas, you sign him cheap to have added depth. He's quick, pesky, and provides an ideal spark plug on the 4th line. Let's say we can sign Neal...not likely, but just for fun. Please just buyout Brouwer and suffer the cap hit, and goodbye Stajan.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Bennett-Backlund-Neal
Ferland-Janko-Frolik
Rousell/Mangiapane-Shore-Lazar/Dube

Obviously we need to see Shore. Will Dube be ready? Mangiapane should be able to have a 4th line role if he recovers properly. Rousell is also a nice option. Either way, dumping Brouwer and Stajan in itself should allow us to upgrade one way or another while also bumping Frolik down to our 3rd line. After seeing Bennett in the last half of this season, he is nearing a point where I can see him in our top 6, I bet he'll be even more refined with another off season. I can also see Janko taking another step, he's had a tough year, but with another off season of training and a better RW in Frolik, he'll continue to progress.

We need a true sniper in the top 6, we need Frolik to balance our 3rd line, and we need to add speed, energy, and some sandpaper to the 4th line.

EDIT: I guess my point is that I know Rousell doesn't solve our biggest problems. I would simply like him in a support/reduced role as I think he provides a spark and is a true pest. He throws the flames off almost every time we play Dallas, those players are awesome to have. He's almost like having another Tkachuk, without the offense obviously.

Reactions: Dack

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I'm reading some of these proposals and... man.

If I'm making up unrealistic proposals, I want Corey Perry without giving up MT.

With Perry's cap hit and extreme decline, I actually wouldn't take him for free. Getzlaf on the other hand... Sign me up. Who I really want though from the Ducks is Richard Rachel (Aka Rickard Rakell). Seriously the fact he's signed for so many more seasons on a cap hit less than 4 million is insane.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I hope we sign a Marian Hossa like deal to the Pens or was it the Red Wings? I forget. 1 year 7 million for any of E. Kane, James Neal or someone like that.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
With Perry's cap hit and extreme decline, I actually wouldn't take him for free. Getzlaf on the other hand... Sign me up. Who I really want though from the Ducks is Richard Rachel (Aka Rickard Rakell). Seriously the fact he's signed for so many more seasons on a cap hit less than 4 million is insane.

I said unrealistic proposal

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I get ya, and I'm just saying even if it is unrealistic I still decline lol.

Well that's because you're not thinking of the potential of a boring but interesting defense lock styled team if we hire Tippet or Sutter. If I'm being realistic~er, I attempt for Domi. Imagine a physical, defense first type team which frustrates opponents. Then add extra doses of pest.

Oh wait, that's somewhere between the Kings under Sutter and Ducks with Getzlaff, Perry, Kesler and Bieksa who pests his own team as well as the opposing team. A team I've often believed is the foundation of the blueprint to our current roster.

But... Bennett flanked by Domi and Tkachuk would be a thing of beauty in the playoffs, where whistles are swallowed.

Last edited:

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Well that's because you're not thinking of the potential of a boring but interesting defense lock styled team if we hire Tippet or Sutter. If I'm being realistic~er, I attempt for Domi. Imagine a physical, defense first type team which frustrates opponents. Then add extra doses of pest.

Oh wait, that's the Ducks with Getzlaff, Perry, Kesler and Bieksa who pests his own team as well as the opposing team. A team I've often believed is the foundation of the blueprint to our current roster.

But... Bennett flanked by Domi and Tkachuk would be a thing of beauty in the playoffs, where whistles are swallowed.

I think Domi would provide a good injection of skilled youth as well to the team, so I'd support this trade. Hopefully we can buy low given his less than stellar past 2 seasons.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I don't think you get Domi unless you give up Bennett. Doubt the Coyotes would want more quantity back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->