Speculation: Armchair GM / Speculation / Rumours Thread XXIV - Beware of Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
The only reason to protect 8 skaters is if you want to protect four defensemen.

Do we even have a fourth defenseman worth protecting?

How is it in our best interest? Jokipakka is hot garbage and neither Wotherspoon nor Kulak are even close to being worth protecting.

tbf i don't really know the whole 'expansion' rules. :laugh: I just assumed the 8 skaters would be the best. didn't know you could protect another fwd.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
so it's pretty obvious that our team needs some holes filled. be it FA/trade or drafting(but waiting), our current needs, as everyone should know are:

Top 6 RW
Top 4 Shut down type D
actual starting Goalie.(Johnson's been good, but he's more a 1B type IMO who plays best behind a 1A)

Realistically who do you think we'd be able to acquire after the expansion draft to fill these holes?

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
so it's pretty obvious that our team needs some holes filled. be it FA/trade or drafting(but waiting), our current needs, as everyone should know are:

Top 6 RW
Top 4 Shut down type D
actual starting Goalie.(Johnson's been good, but he's more a 1B type IMO who plays best behind a 1A)

Realistically who do you think we'd be able to acquire after the expansion draft to fill these holes?

I'm sure we would try to sign Alzner or Stone and possibly Bishop. That top RW will be the tough one.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I hope Vegas takes Jokkipakka. I think he's consistently the worst Defenceman on the team and I don't like either of Wideman or Engelland.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
The only reason to protect 8 skaters is if you want to protect four defensemen.

Do we even have a fourth defenseman worth protecting?

Nope. 8:1 doesn't make sense for us now.

The only way we go 8:1 is if we get a 4th dman way below market value and it's worth taking that price difference and exposing certain forwards/paying Vegas to not taking specific players.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I want Engelland resigned for.like one year, one mil. Push real hard for Alzner. I'm really cautious about Bishop with the season he is having. Id look at trying out Anti Raanta with Johnson next year or one of Rittitch/Gillies.

And I wish people would let go of Stone. This is his second crap season in a row. I'm sure UFA will produce a crop off similar talent defenders for a much lower price.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I hope Vegas takes Jokkipakka. I think he's consistently the worst Defenceman on the team and I don't like either of Wideman or Engelland.

I am hoping the same. A lot of posters justifiably dislike Engelland, or at least the 18 minutes he is required to eat up a night.

Jokkipakka doesn't really bring anything to the table though in my opinion. Kulak has been far more effective than him in his games.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I'd rather keep Jokipakka. He's a young 2nd year defenseman. People had too high of expectations for the kid after what he did after picking him up. He's still what 24/25? That is practically a fetus for a defenseman chosen late in the draft. I still believe he has top 4 potential, but he is 2-3 years away from realizing that potential.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Would we still want to sign Alzner, if one of our D prospects is ready for the jump.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'd rather keep Jokipakka. He's a young 2nd year defenseman. People had too high of expectations for the kid after what he did after picking him up. He's still what 24/25? That is practically a fetus for a defenseman chosen late in the draft. I still believe he has top 4 potential, but he is 2-3 years away from realizing that potential.

Agreed. Gio didn't figure things out till he was what? 26-27?

Jokipakka was picked in the 7th round.

Eggs should go to Vegas. I like the guy and wish him the best. But we do need some snarl if Eggs goes.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room

Eggs should go to Vegas. I like the guy and wish him the best. But we do need some snarl if Eggs goes.
I feel like Matt Stajan might be the first choice for Vegas from us. Better defensemen than Jokipakka, Wotherspoon or Kulak are available, we won't be exposing good forwards. Stajan can slot in anywhere they need, will bring a good attitude, will be good for promoting their brand within the community and he could potentially be the captain.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

25. Gio's been a solid top 4 D since about 2008.

I feel like Matt Stajan might be the first choice for Vegas from us. Better defensemen than Jokipakka, Wotherspoon or Kulak are available, we won't be exposing good forwards. Stajan can slot in anywhere they need, will bring a good attitude, will be good for promoting their brand within the community and he could potentially be the captain.

I wouldn't complain about that at all. I like Stajan, but that cap hit is way too high for a 4th line C. Ideally it'd be either him or Bouma (especially since Brouwer is probably completely off the table), as both would bring some cap relief given their roles.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010

It would be dumb for Vegas to select Stajan. Why do Calgary any favours?

Pick a younger player, and if they want Stajan, offer Calgary a deal where they will take him in a trade if Calgary also flips them a draft pick.

Stajan has negative value until he's at the deadline of his last year.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Probably neither.

Gillies hasn't learned to stop pucks in Stockton yet.

Rittich would be a better bet to play for the Flames next year.

Older, more seasoned, and likely NHL ready.

As of now, I'd agree that Gillies hasn't earned the position for next year, but there's still half of a season to play, and with a full offseason ahead a lot can change.

You also completely ignored Johnson, who has earned another contract. Unless his play totally falls off, I expect him to be back.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
It would be dumb for Vegas to select Stajan. Why do Calgary any favours?

Pick a younger player, and if they want Stajan, offer Calgary a deal where they will take him in a trade if Calgary also flips them a draft pick.

Stajan has negative value until he's at the deadline of his last year.
1. It wouldn't be dumb for the reasons I listed
2. It also wouldn't be dumb because Vegas has to spend a minimum salary in the expansion draft and will more or less be forced to select some not so great contracts and Stajan is a short term contract that is not too large, so he would be more acceptable than most.
3. The Flames won't pay to get rid of Stajan because he is a valuable player for this team.
4. He doesn't have negative value because the Flames are extremely happy with him and is valuable to the club on and off the ice, negative value only applies to players teams are actively trying to shop.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
1. It wouldn't be dumb for the reasons I listed
2. It also wouldn't be dumb because Vegas has to spend a minimum salary in the expansion draft and will more or less be forced to select some not so great contracts and Stajan is a short term contract that is not too large, so he would be more acceptable than most.
3. The Flames won't pay to get rid of Stajan because he is a valuable player for this team.
4. He doesn't have negative value because the Flames are extremely happy with him and is valuable to the club on and off the ice, negative value only applies to players teams are actively trying to shop.

I'm not 100% sure he won't be protected. He's better than Ferland and Chiasson. He seems like an important piece of the veteran leadership roll, a short term contract and upper management loves him. I think there may be plans with in the organization after this contract. He strikes me as the type of guy that may cut his career a little short, in exchange for stability for his familly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->