Armchair GM : Rate your hockey knowledge

Rate your hockey knowledge

• I'm a 1, I'm a Hab fan (kidding), I'm new to the game, don't understand it, but willing to learn.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I think we can all admit Leaf fans are the smartest people you know :D

Kidding aside, how would you rate your hockey knowledge?

Scale is 5 to 1, 5 makes you a hockey god, 1 makes you a Hab fan... kidding... 1 makes you a newbie.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
It's strange though so sad, so many folks on CapFriendly have no conception of trades. Dumping of awful contracts onto other teams. Not understanding that NMC (no movement clause) implies that your overpaid player isn't going to Arizona, because you want cap space to sign a UFA.
Not understanding how players on LTIR affect the cap....or doesn't affect it. Not wanting to pay Performance Bonus so the available cap space appears so large.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
The whole reason I started coming to this forum to begin with was to learn more and see the game from others' perspective in order to understand it better.

Hoping to one day attain God status.

Reactions: Leafs1993

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
I'd say inbetween a 3 and 4. I know all the players, but don't know the depth. (talking league wide) I know the CBA better than most. I don't know the minor leagues or the international leagues and the future talent in general. Tend to rely on highlight packages.

WilliamInLondon

Mar 24, 2016
been following the game hardcore since 1989. Know the vast majority of the current players in the NHL and a handful of prospects per team. understand and follow most of the advanced analytics that are used to rate player and team performance.

have zero clue on how to actually build a successful NHL team.

so i'd rate myself a 3.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
my hockey knowledge

better than some worse than others , lol

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
4-5.... played for many years, watched all my life, read many hockey books. Would have pursued a career in the nhl if i hadn't become a frog biologist.

Reactions: Nithoniniel and Cor

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Sometimes I'm a 5+ and other times I'm a negative 5. :confused: I prefer to play the game over studying the game, it's just way more fun.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
I would say I am down to a 3 these days. I know as much about the Leafs and their prospect system as anyone who does not directly work for the team but I have let my knowledge of many other teams and their prospects around the league erode over the past few years...young family does that to a guy.

Reactions: The Apologist

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I said 4 based on the description, but I could get curved depending upon how other's answer :laugh:

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
4 I like to think.

Definitely lacking compared to Nithonienel, Daisy, and Zeke(incredible with numbers)

Lol at some of the posters who rank themselves as a 5.
This is a good test in humility.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I am easily a 5, maybe even a 6 or 7. Im not quite at @Nithoniniel, @Pookie, or @Daisy Jane genius level, but still pretty damn awesome.

Oh, and very very humble.

4 I like to think.

Definitely lacking compared to Nithonienel, Daisy, and Zeke(incredible with numbers)

Lol at some of the posters who rank themselves as a 5.
This is a good test in humility.

oh gosh. lol. I don't think i should be mentioned here at all.
i would put myself at 2 or 3 myself.

Reactions: The Apologist

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Still can't vote, but i'll leave my opinion.

Before analytics came into play I would honestly say I was at least a 5+. Played for years, watched from a very young age - when I have nothing to do I watch hockey. Always been that way. It goes beyond love for the game.

Now...with analytics playing a huge factor in how games are analyzed and compared for past 3 or 4ish years...I would say I am currently a 4. I am passionate about learning more about the different kinds of stats that go into analyzing and forming an opinion which others can respect. But besides the "numbers game" I would say I know hockey very, very well.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Hockey knowledge is a completely relevant concept. You're only intelligent compared to that which is perceived as unintelligent.

I've seen guys who've followed hockey for many decades who don't know as much as people who've been following hockey for less than 10 years. Folks specifically on this board seem to get so tied up in their own narratives that they quickly start looking like amateurs.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I put myself at 2.
Comparing myself to people who've been in the business for years and know many of the ins and outs of running a successful hockey team? I've got no chance. I only know most of the public knowledge stuff and even then I don't go super in depth with that. Learning more about advanced stats but even then, I can't break it down easily. Maybe that's more of a 3

Snip Genos

GO LEAFS GO
Jun 14, 2007
Ontario
Still can't vote, but i'll leave my opinion.

Before analytics came into play I would honestly say I was at least a 5+. Played for years, watched from a very young age - when I have nothing to do I watch hockey. Always been that way. It goes beyond love for the game.

Now...with analytics playing a huge factor in how games are analyzed and compared for past 3 or 4ish years...I would say I am currently a 4. I am passionate about learning more about the different kinds of stats that go into analyzing and forming an opinion which others can respect. But besides the "numbers game" I would say I know hockey very, very well.
This is exactly my answer as well but I feel like I am becoming more of a 3 if this is about being an armchair gm because I’m starting to lose track of all the young players joining the league now.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
5 easily. Hockey has been my one true love since I was 2 and probably goes beyond love for the game. Feel that especially as this league evolves and the Leafs become better and better that my love for the game grows exponentially with every passing season. Through my fantasy teams, CapFriendly, HFBoards and an infinity amount of research and watching every single day since I was 2, I believe I’ve achieved Hockey God status.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Hockey knowledge is a completely relevant concept. You're only intelligent compared to that which is perceived as unintelligent.

I've seen guys who've followed hockey for many decades who don't know as much as people who've been following hockey for less than 10 years. Folks specifically on this board seem to get so tied up in their own narratives that they quickly start looking like amateurs.

I'm going to assume you meant to say "relative" and I'll agree with that. Like many other discussions here we'd have to agree on definition of terms (hockey knowledge in this case) before any meaningful discussion.

My Mom says I am a 5 but I think I am about a 2.

LOL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad