Speculation: Armchair GM - Offseason Thread (Summer Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I am just saying why is everyone in a rush to sign these guys. Let’s see how it plays out. I am not opposed to offering a guy like KJ $8 million, but I am not doing it today.

If you want to talk about contracts that we need to be thinking about, Danforth is the only UFA I think we keep. (Robinson, Roslovic, Sweezy, Guance, and Spencer Martin are the other UFAs). So, do we try to get a couple more years of Danforth now or see how it plays out. He is 30. He might take the security of 2 x $1 million now rather than seeing how the year plays out and deciding on testing free agency.

Then I would say Tex is the next contract to think about.

I haven’t said sign him now.

But if he keeps showing his potential they should 100% try to sign him longterm. That’s how you are creating a long compete window for yourself.

Fantilli/Jiricek/Johnson is the expected/hoped core and I hope they all develop into players that are going to get locked into 8 year deals post elc. That buys you stability and window.

Easier to build and plan when you have your core locked up at certain number for multiple years.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I would have a standing offer of $7m x 8 right now, yes. In a few months if he keeps progressing I would offer $8m x 8.
Not a Jackets fan, and I'm probably in the minority, but I would consider an approach like this as well, but would probably start at $6m or $6.5m x 8 and see if he bites. He didn't light it up at 5v5 last year, which would be my only concern with him reaching that worth. But I think it's unlikely he's any worse than a $4-5m player over the next 8 years (he'd pretty much have to stagnate completely), so the downside is you overpay a 2nd line winger by a $1-2.5m. But the upside is is he becomes PPG+ scoring center worth $8m - $9m+, and you're saving $2.5-3M.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I am just saying why is everyone in a rush to sign these guys. Let’s see how it plays out. I am not opposed to offering a guy like KJ $8 million, but I am not doing it today.
they're in a weird spot with all of their RFAs right now where negotiating in-season doesn't really make sense for either side.

sillinger sticks out as the best example where neither side has anything to gain from negotiating now. marchenko, too – cbj likely doesn't want to reward an unsustainably high sh%, and kirill probably wants to increase his value playing with 29 and 13.

as you said, the RFA that makes the most sense for the jackets to try to lock up right now is texier, but he's the hardest valuation and has a lot more to gain from waiting.

the KJ one is interesting because i'm sure his camp would love the jack hughes deal, but i doubt the jackets are interested in missing out on the 10.2c leverage.

If you want to talk about contracts that we need to be thinking about, Danforth is the only UFA I think we keep. (Robinson, Roslovic, Sweezy, Guance, and Spencer Martin are the other UFAs).

So, do we try to get a couple more years of Danforth now or see how it plays out. He is 30. He might take the security of 2 x $1 million now rather than seeing how the year plays out and deciding on testing free agency.
agree that danforth is the only one worth keeping, but if the jackets aren't in a playoff spot come deadline time, he would have by far the highest trade value.

he brings a ton of energy and flexibility (any line, any spot), is good on the dot, can play either special teams unit, should be putting up good numbers (if he sticks with 91 and 11) and will be able to fit into any team's cap without retention.

danforth is (potentially) the dream acquisition for a playoff team, and his flexibility/cap would give them a huge market for him.

not that the jackets benefit a ton from adding a late 1st rounder, but that could also be (most of) the cost to offload elvis's contract next summer.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
I haven’t said sign him now.

But if he keeps showing his potential they should 100% try to sign him longterm. That’s how you are creating a long compete window for yourself.

Fantilli/Jiricek/Johnson is the expected/hoped core and I hope they all develop into players that are going to get locked into 8 year deals post elc. That buys you stability and window.

Easier to build and plan when you have your core locked up at certain number for multiple years.
I’d add Marchenko to that list if he keeps showing progress and in his all round game (as he has this pre season) and puts up 40+ points. He’s kind of a hidden gem amongst our higher touted young players. Get him signed on a sweetheart 4+ years deal if possible after this season.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
I’d add Marchenko to that list if he keeps showing progress and in his all round game (as he has this pre season) and puts up 40+ points. He’s kind of a hidden gem amongst our higher touted young players. Get him signed on a sweetheart 4+ years deal if possible after this season.
Marchenko is very underrated. Has the potential to put up huge numbers especially if he sticks on Gaudreau's line. Doesn't really matter the center either imo

Reactions: Farmboy Patty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad