OT: Arizona Coyotes Lounge XIII -- Summertime Blues

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Seems like we should think about spending more on k-12 education. :) What are we spending all of our money on that New Mexico and Texas don’t have to?

Not sure:

2018_05_07_17_19_36_State_Expenditure_Report_Fiscal_2014_2016_S.png

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Wow. We seem to be spending way too much on this "All Other" business. We have to put a stop to this! Let's take to the streets!

"#Orange4Other"

rt

May 13, 2004
The strange thing is AZ has more exemptions in the major categories of All Other than the other states in our region.

What the hell are we spending on that Texas and New Mexico don't have to? I feel like there's a brain-dead obvious answer I'm missing?

EDIT: old people? Somehow? That's the only difference I can think of between us and Texas.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
One of the issues is there are a lot of school districts in AZ with only one or two schools within their boundaries. Mainly because they’re rural, but their administrative overhead ends up being much greater than what there is in the larger districts.

rt

May 13, 2004
One of the issues is there are a lot of school districts in AZ with only one or two schools within their boundaries. Mainly because they’re rural, but their administrative overhead ends up being much greater than what there is in the larger districts.
That’s got to be true of Texas, too, right? They have like 479 counties. And anyway, it’s “All Other” meaning not education. Items in that category are things like Medicaid and Mental Health Services and Housing, etc.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
That’s got to be true of Texas, too, right? They have like 479 counties. And anyway, it’s “All Other” meaning not education. Items in that category are things like Medicaid and Mental Health Services and Housing, etc.

I don’t know. Haven’t looked at Texas. :)

One thing that always struck me odd after moving here is the way school districts here (at least in Phoenix) jump across city boundaries and back. Some are K-8,... some K-12... some HS only. It’s a real hodgepodge.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Texas has 1000+ school districts.

rt

May 13, 2004
Looks like our per capita spending on healthcare is in line with NM and TX. Our Medicaid spending per capita seems higher than both. Not sure that makes up the difference though.

BOGO

Oct 20, 2017
Anyone have the numbers on what teachers are paid against the cost of living? Arizona does have lower cost of living than other areas, but not the bottom in the country like we are relative to teacher salaries. I wonder if Arizona might be in the middle when you factor cost of living? There are so many numbers to take into account for this type of stuff that sometimes it is easy to overlook different areas that may explain it.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Anyone have the numbers on what teachers are paid against the cost of living? Arizona does have lower cost of living than other areas, but not the bottom in the country like we are relative to teacher salaries. I wonder if Arizona might be in the middle when you factor cost of living? There are so many numbers to take into account for this type of stuff that sometimes it is easy to overlook different areas that may explain it.

I believe AZ is middle of the pack in terms of home prices and rent nationally. Food and utilities are a little higher than the national average, gas is a little lower.

US News and World Report ranks AZ 31st nationally in terms of Cost of Living and 34th in overall affordability.

rt

May 13, 2004
I will use a sarcasm emoji next time, just for you, because you’re special.
I knew you didn’t mean JUST that but I do imagine the MCSO has a particularly bloated budget and represents a larger share of expense versus typical Sheriff’s departments that you might find in NM or TX. Especially inclusive of ligation. So I assumed you were half joking but also suggesting that perhaps we spend a higher percentage on law enforcement maybe specifically because of MCSO or maybe just in general.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
People don't always take cost of living or QOL into consideration when griping. My buddy tells me how much he makes in the DC area, and I'm thinking sure, but housing is expensive, long commutes, traffic, stench from the swamp, etc. On the plus side, I could become a Caps fan.

mw252021.png

Click the link for interactive tool: Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education

Reactions: Jakey53

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
People don't always take cost of living or QOL into consideration when griping. My buddy tells me how much he makes in the DC area, and I'm thinking sure, but housing is expensive, long commutes, traffic, stench from the swamp, etc. On the plus side, I could become a Caps fan.

mw252021.png

Click the link for interactive tool: Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education

Teachers in Arizona also get benefits including medical and a pension. Lots of private sector employees don't get any benefits at all and pensions are slowly becoming a thing of the past as most of the private sector doesn't offer a pension and governments have started doing away with pensions.

But those poor teachers in Arizona have it so bad. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad