Confirmed Trade: [ARI/SJ] Adam Helewka for Kyle Wood

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Didn't realize Wood had a down year this year. He was great in his rookie AHL year

logik47

Sep 14, 2014
Classical Chayka's summer shake-up, I guess...

But this trade is intriguing. Wasn't Arizona high on Kyle Wood?

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I thought Wood was going to be a good piece for the Coyotes when they got him in the Boedker deal. Nothing really benefited either team in that deal.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
San Jose stocking up on ex-Battalion players. You're next, Nick Paul.

Seriously though, Wood had an outstanding year a season ago. What happened?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
San Jose stocking up on ex-Battalion players. You're next, Nick Paul.

Seriously though, Wood had an outstanding year a season ago. What happened?

Big fat regression. If I had to guess, I’d say it’s because the Coyotes went from a Tippett style affiliate to a Tocchet style affiliate. The former is good for slow footed players who don’t make fast decisions, while the latter requires quickness in all things.

It wasn’t a smooth transition for the Coyotes either, obviously. They were absolutely horrible for the first half of the season.

I suspect they figured Wood would never be able to fit into this style of play.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Big fat regression. If I had to guess, I’d say it’s because the Coyotes went from a Tippett style affiliate to a Tocchet style affiliate. The former is good for slow footed players who don’t make fast decisions, while the latter requires quickness in all things.

It wasn’t a smooth transition for the Coyotes either, obviously. They were absolutely horrible for the first half of the season.

I suspect they figured Wood would never be able to fit into this style of play.
Hmmmm. Surprising with his ex-linemate Dineen making the jump this year coming up. They fed very well off of each other in Dineen's draft year and were outstanding on the breakout. Looking at the deal though, Halewka looks like he might be a player.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Kyle Wood was deadly 2 years ago in AHL

Im quite surprised Yotes traded him

As rt said, incompatible with the new uptempo system being used at both the NHL and AHL level. Wood was a PP triggerman in 15-16 and got a lot of his points there. This year he didn't get much (if any) PP time, and he got even bigger (lots of places still list him at 6'5" but he's actually 6'7" now) and is growing into his body. He was also injured towards the end of the season and returned in the second round of the Calder Cup playoffs. His decision making looked slow in the playoffs and his skating leaves a lot to be desired. The ceiling's still there but it's looking less likely that he'll reach it.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Does Helewka have NHL potential?

Could be a third liner. Something about his game has always screamed “NHLer in some capacity”, though it’s probably 4th line at best at this point. He’s nothing special but I’ve always liked him and I wouldn’t write him off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad