Confirmed Signing with Link: [ARI] Ilya Lyubushkin signs extension with the Coyotes (1 year, $1.35M)

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
He’s developing pretty good... he could be a year away from a 4x4

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He entered the NHL in the 2018-2019 season. If you combine that season, along with the next two, he's 3rd among all NHL defensemen (minimum 50gp) in Hits/60. His physical game is high-level and came exactly as advertised from when the team signed him out of Loko. That aspect was apparent right off the bat, and has been consistently good. The reason he's got a contract extension is the growth in his game in other facets. First came cleaning up his defensive game. He was pretty bad at everything early on in the NHL. His D got much tighter over time. His skating has improved as well.

But the main growth area in his game that has solidified him as an actual NHL player is that he finally learned (really just this season) how to pass the puck up ice to a forward. He used to only be able to chip it out, or go D2D. It was so bad it was comical when he was a rookie. But now, he can actually make an outlet pass. It took him a while, but he's a real NHL player now because he finally learned how to do it. He's not amazing by any means, and it's still best to pair him with a real puck-mover, but he's adequate enough to get by, now.

He's a poor man's Adam Larsson, IMO. That's what he reminds me of. He's a decent cycle-buster who's good down-low, and while not overly rambunctious or violent, he uses his physical play effectively in a strategic manner. He's not wrecking guys. He's just separating the man from the puck well, by using superior physical strength and body positioning. Now that he can skate a little and pass a little, I think the comparison is somewhat apt. He's the poor man's version, though, because Larsson can skate well and is actually a plus outlet passer (sometimes).

I'd actually really like to see Arizona sign Adam Larsson. I think having both he and Lyubushkin on the team would be a good thing for a blueline that also features Jakob Chychrun and Ekman-Larssson, who are supreme puck movers, with all the talent you could want. Larsson on your top pair isn't ideal. Lyubushkin in your top for isn't ideal. But let's face it, just about NOTHING concerning the Arizona Coyotes is ideal. Honestly, the only less ideal team in the NHL is the Buffalo Sabres - LOL.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He entered the NHL in the 2018-2019 season. If you combine that season, along with the next two, he's 3rd among all NHL defensemen (minimum 50gp) in Hits/60. His physical game is high-level and came exactly as advertised from when the team signed him out of Loko. That aspect was apparent right off the bat, and has been consistently good. The reason he's got a contract extension is the growth in his game in other facets. First came cleaning up his defensive game. He was pretty bad at everything early on in the NHL. His D got much tighter over time. His skating has improved as well.

But the main growth area in his game that has solidified him as an actual NHL player is that he finally learned (really just this season) how to pass the puck up ice to a forward. He used to only be able to chip it out, or go D2D. It was so bad it was comical when he was a rookie. But now, he can actually make an outlet pass. It took him a while, but he's a real NHL player now because he finally learned how to do it. He's not amazing by any means, and it's still best to pair him with a real puck-mover, but he's adequate enough to get by, now.

He's a poor man's Adam Larsson, IMO. That's what he reminds me of. He's a decent cycle-buster who's good down-low, and while not overly rambunctious or violent, he uses his physical play effectively in a strategic manner. He's not wrecking guys. He's just separating the man from the puck well, by using superior physical strength and body positioning. Now that he can skate a little and pass a little, I think the comparison is somewhat apt. He's the poor man's version, though, because Larsson can skate well and is actually a plus outlet passer (sometimes).

I'd actually really like to see Arizona sign Adam Larsson. I think having both he and Lyubushkin on the team would be a good thing for a blueline that also features Jakob Chychrun and Ekman-Larssson, who are supreme puck movers, with all the talent you could want. Larsson on your top pair isn't ideal. Lyubushkin in your top for isn't ideal. But let's face it, just about NOTHING concerning the Arizona Coyotes is ideal. Honestly, the only less ideal team in the NHL is the Buffalo Sabres - LOL.

You made reading about Ilya Lyubushkin and the Arizona Coyotes interesting, kudos to you and this post you wrote up.

:cheers:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Would have given him 3 years at 2m each if he was amenable. So much progress in one year.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona

Gotta tell ya bud, one of your best write ups about a player from start to his current play. This is spot on.

Reactions: Mosby and AZviaNJ

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
looking at their roster is he not protected with all the ufa D?
E.D draft rules require a defender that has played more than 40 in one season or 70 in the last 2 seasons (prorated for this season) that is signed through the 21-22 season be exposed.

Arizona had plenty that met the games requirement but only Chy and OEL met having a contract for 21-22 until this signing

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Contract looks like it only exists to meet expansion draft requirements for the Yotes

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Hopefully signs another D-man for the expansion-requirements. This should be the third protected D if I had decided. Bush is really good. As a fan, I say I would have been even more happy with some term, and just a slightly higher cap-hit, so the Yotes could have a good, steady defenceman locked up cheap for a long time. He doesn't score much, but that's not his job.

There is nothing more underrated in the league than a good, defensive defenceman.

Reactions: McD37

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Contract looks like it only exists to meet expansion draft requirements for the Yotes
I’d wager he’d crack the top seven for a good half the league, at least. It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if Seattle elected to draft him, honestly. They could do worse than Lyubushkin when picking over the bones of the Coyotes carcass.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I’d wager he’d crack the top seven for a good half the league, at least. It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if Seattle elected to draft him, honestly. They could do worse than Lyubushkin when picking over the bones of the Coyotes carcass.

I don't know who the third defenseman will be the Yotes will chose to protect but if it was Lyubushkin he'd likely be signed to more than a 1 year deal . This just screams expansion draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad