Confirmed Signing with Link: [ARI] Darcy Kuemper extends with the Coyotes (2 years, $1.85M AAV)

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Kuemper's stock rose quite rapidly considering he was almost pushed out of the NHL last summer.

When he got signed by LA late in the first day of agency, the 30 other NHL teams were already set in nets.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Kuemper's stock rose quite rapidly considering he was almost pushed out of the NHL last summer.

When he got signed by LA late in the first day of agency, the 30 other NHL teams were already set in nets.

Which is crazy because he's still pretty young, and has had fairly decent numbers. Just a quick stats comparison between Kuemper and Schneider as backups kind of shows that he hasn't had bad career numbers, and frankly i'm surprised teams like NYI didnt take a flyer on him.

Cory Schneider after 98 career games before trade to Devils: 55-26-8 with 9 shutouts, a 2.20 GAA & .927 SV%

Darcy Kuemper after 121 career games before trade to Coyotes: 51-35-17 with 10 shutouts, a 2.52 GAA & .913 SV%

Naturally, Schneider is the better goaltender and in no way am I implying they have the same career trajectory, but I'm surprised nobody took a chance on him as a number one yet. Similar to what the Coyotes did with Raanta.

Even Raanta's stats are similar before he became a starter: 47-23-9 with 8 shutouts, 2.33 GAA & .917 SV% in 94 games

tl;dr - I'm surprised he's hasn't been given a chance to start somewhere. And it won't be in AZ, because Raanta has taken that job and ran with it so far.

Last edited:

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
as an Isles fan, i hope this is a prelude to Raanta coming over. i think it would be a good move by Snow, possibly even helping to convince Tavares to sign long term.

if AZ can sign Raanta, they will have a pretty sweet duo for a few years.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Hope Arizona still re-signs Raanta. That would be a massive improvement going into next season over the garbage this season started as.

Just give Raanta 4 million for 4 years and be done with it. That's right where a new or average starter should be.

Edit: As far as Kuemper goes, he is worth every penny of this contract. If he's a heavily used backup, or playing behind Raanta. I liked him since Minny, and think he could be a steal.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Wild fan here, Kuemper has all the tools to be a legit # 1 Goalie in this league, his problem was between the ears, it seemed if things went bad it escalated quickly. If he can get over that, this is a great move for Arizona IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad