Are you the oldest guy on your team?

slapshotâ„¢

Feb 29, 2004
K-Country
I'm now the oldest guy on my beer league team. Nobody else is over the age of 30 yet. Everybody is between the age of 19 through 28.

They now call me "gramps", "pops" and my water bottle is referred to as "fossil fuel" & I have to put up with emo, hip-hop and my music selection is called "old peoples' music".

There are over 30, 35, 40 leagues, etc, but I would never even think twice of joining them. As long as I keep in shape and my skating doesn't slow down, I can't ever see leaving this group of guys. And they bring their girfriends to games too, so that's always special...

I'm just curious of other people's age ranges on their particular teams. Some people don't like playing with younger dudes as they call them puck hogs, immature, etc. I love it and I feel that it keeps me young.

Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. I'm 44 and still prefer to play with the younger guys that have wheels. I've recently relocated and am still looking to get on a club full-time. Right now I'm sparing here and there. On my old team I was the oldest and think the next oldest guy on the club was 10 or 12 years younger than me. They all called me, "Moses".

I prefer playing with the young guys that have the wheels and like to play with some aggression. Old timer hockey doesn't have slapshots and it is too "gentlemanly" (for the most part) for my liking.

Also, when you play with the younger crowd you can pretty much guarantee they have come out of organized hockey and have a good understanding of positioning, etc. Old-timer hockey you run across many players who never played in their younger days and are clueless (especially D-men) who have NO idea how to protect the front of their net.

For some, getting out and playing just for the fun of it is all that there needs to be. I'm not critical of those - I just prefer to play at a more competitive level. Perhaps some day I will outgrow this desire.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
I'm the oldest player on my team, and maby even in the league we play in at 28. It's not beer league so my experence may be a little different. I didn't go back to school until I was 25 so being the oldest guy on a college hockey team is a different experence. I'm probably lucky in that my best friend is on the team too and is a graduate student who will be 26 next month. The next oldest player is 23, then a couple 21 and 22 year olds, but most of the team is comprised of 18-20 year olds.

Funny thing is that these guys all pretty much love me. It's probably my personality, but age has never been a problem with the younger guys. It's really a non issue entirely.

I have been the youngest guy on a team too. When I didn't go to college right away, I ended up joining a mens league. Being 18 at the time, I was the youngest by at least 10 years, it was very fun though.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
Im the youngest at 18 in this beer league and I honestly think it cost me an invitation to the next seasons league. Don't feel very welcome at all and probably not welcome back =p I thought i was nice!

Gotta find a new one now if im hoping to play any kind of club hockey when i transfer =\

maccraken

Jan 25, 2007
Regina
Once was the oldest in ASHL now in the middle of my beer team , most of us are over 40 and the oldest is 53.

MacBeatsPang

Oct 25, 2006
At 34 I'm probably toward the young side for my team. We have one 50 year-old, a bunch in their late 30s and a couple of guys in their 20s. The rest of league has a similar mix, though some teams are heavy on the young'uns. It's interesting to me that those teams aren't necessarily the ones that do the best. We're usually around the middle of the pack standings-wise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->