Are you the oldest guy on your team?

Muttley*

I'm now the oldest guy on my beer league team. Nobody else is over the age of 30 yet. Everybody is between the age of 19 through 28.

They now call me "gramps", "pops" and my water bottle is referred to as "fossil fuel" & I have to put up with emo, hip-hop and my music selection is called "old peoples' music".

There are over 30, 35, 40 leagues, etc, but I would never even think twice of joining them. As long as I keep in shape and my skating doesn't slow down, I can't ever see leaving this group of guys. And they bring their girfriends to games too, so that's always special...

I'm just curious of other people's age ranges on their particular teams. Some people don't like playing with younger dudes as they call them puck hogs, immature, etc. I love it and I feel that it keeps me young.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Actually one of youngest, if not the youngest guy. I was the youngest for a while but we got a few new guys who are close to my age...idk how old exactly though. I honestly have no issues playing with anyone, and enjoyed playing with the few 'older' guys who have been on our team.

Coldaccord

Feb 4, 2007
Buffalo, NY
i go to a skate and shoot for 25+ during the afternoons. last week a guy probably about 45 tried to fight a 20 year old kid. i mean yeah, its a physical sport, and the guy was just mad cause they were digging hard in the corner together, but come on. picking on someone half your age who is about your size is not too smart.

MacDaddy TLC*

I am 13-14 years older than all of my team mates. I am also leading the team in goals so they keep their comments to a minimum.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
We got one cat who's like 65+. Granted he's terrible, but he shows up and if you knock him down, he'll get back up and doesn't complain. I like having him around.

But my beer league team ranges from 23-65, average age being 35 or so. I'm late 20s.

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
I'm the youngest on my team (19) and am about 3-4 years younger than most of the guys. Ranges from 19-55. I recently captured the lead in goals, assists, and points---and at the stick and puck the team goes to, some of the older guys have let me practice with them/ offered pointers etc. Great bunch of guys with very different personalities too.

schoenfeld

2 Way Contract
Dec 10, 2006
I'm 33, oldest guy on the team, second oldest is our goalie who's 28, everyone else is 18-mid twenties. It's pretty fun being the old guy around, I usually have to be the one to step up when some extra stuff starts going on after whistles.

shorre

Jan 4, 2006
oakville , ontario
I'm 36 and the next oldest guy on my team is 28 and most are in the 24-28 range.I get razzed all the time aswell.My team always leave a spot by the gate open so i dont have to jump the boards and either make fun that i wear suspenders still or get the "gramps" comments.

It doesnt bother me , our team goes in tournaments that are very competitive some of them have body contact and there alot of ex-pros in them aswell with sometimes a nice cash reward to the winner.So if razz'in me gets the team closer, into the game etc and givin me a hand up the stairs to the bar after the game is good for comodery(sp?) then im all for it.

MMcD

Dec 24, 2006
Chicago burbs
At 40, I'm getting back into playing after an 8 year layoff. I hope I can find a 30 or 35+ league to join so I won't be the oldest.

diablo73

Feb 9, 2007
I am 34 and play with guys roughly 10yrs younger then me, as long as I can keep up I will still play, If not then it looks like the old-timers league for me. Plus Who can argue with seeing the younger girlfriends, coming to the game. Gotta like that.

Trots19

Jun 10, 2003
Isles Country Baby!!
Visit site
been playing at this one place for for 15 yrs--used to be the youngest on the team. now i find i am the average age(32) with the oldest guy on my team being in his early 50's. and yes i call him gramps

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
I'm one of the youngest. My best friend is the same age as me and plays on the team, but other than us everyone is in their late twenties - early forties.

It doesn't bother me until I go to give them advice and some of them get defensive.

Women's hockey is funny that way.

On the guy's team I play on I'm the youngest by about 5 years. The other woman I play with is 28, I'm 23. They don't seem to mind at all, for the most time I'm treated like one of the guys. Though, they call me "Kiddo" a lot. As long as I don't get called "Sweetheart" I'm fine with "Kiddo"

mac-sniper

Aug 25, 2006
this year it was 86 but they wouldn't let her use her walker on the ice. last year we had a '92 (1892 that is) but she died. we feel shame

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
I'm the oldest on my team by about 4 years, but 6 of the others played high school together, and then we have a few younger guys to fill in the roster (although I'm glad we have them, cause they're FAST!). Our beer league is made up of all ex-high school or University players who live in town, so we all know each other at least slightly. Even the kids 17 and 18 years younger than me. It's fun, and keeps you hustling instead of playing with guys your own age who are slow.

TheViperOne

Jul 26, 2005
At 18, I am the youngest guy by far on my beer league team. There's one guy about 60 years old that took a puck up the shaft of his stick and broke his nose last week. He took some snow, wiped out the blood and kept playing! :yo:

nikebauer

Jul 21, 2005
Vancouver
I'll probably have a team next year when I join a league but when I go to drop-ins I'm usually one of the youngest at 18 years

Goalie_Gal

Jul 15, 2006
The pick-up group I play with ranges in age from early 20's to mid 40's, with most of the guys being on the younger end of that scale. Recently some high school kids showed up and our 42 yr old kept pace with them the entire time. (Which really isn't a surprise because he keeps up with and somtimes outskates the 20-somethings. He's the guy doing laps around the rink after the rest of us have called it quits). I'm 32, so I guess I'm right in the middle.

We did have a guy in his mid/late-60's for a while, but he recently shattered his ankle and it looks like he'll be hanging up the skates. It's too bad- because like Doctor Hook said of his "geezer", he played with heart and just got up and kept skating when he fell down. If my husband and I are still playing when we're that age that'll be more than I can ask for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->