Are we seeing a lacrosse goal in these playoffs?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
There is no specific hate on this honestly. People just prefer unique plays that resembles the best parts of hockey - speed, fast one touch passing, one-on-one tracks fooling defenders or goalies such that they loose orientation, etc. This lacrosse shit doesn't have any of this. I would personally prefer Forsberg move or Datsyukian deke to win a playoff series than this lacrosse goal when puck is on the blade for like 3 seconds.

However, it is still a part of hockey.

I’d argue that the Michigan resembles a good portion of what makes hockey great: Hockey IQ, creativity, speed, and fooling defenders or goalies.

I agree most NHLers could probably do the Michigan if given enough time and space to do so. But there’s a reason it wasn’t accomplished in the league until a few years ago, and why only a few players have been able to successfully get one in.

It requires the player to recognize the time and space they have behind the net, be creative enough to realize it’s an option, the skill to quickly get it on their blade and up, and the deceptive nature to do it all quick enough without the goalie or opposing players getting a chance to react.

Trying to get it banned or criticizing players for attempting it is the kind of mindset that keeps creativity out of the game. We want players to be innovative. We want them to do crazy shit at high speed that make us go “Wait, what just happened?”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad