Are we ready to admit that Reinhart is a bust?

Bust?

• Total voters

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Didn't he like... break his ribs in the opener? And play injured for a large chunk of the first half of the season?

Didn't he completely go goalless during the stretch that we were fighting for a playoff spot, then started scoring again only after we were for sure out?

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Didn't he completely go goalless during the stretch that we were fighting for a playoff spot, then started scoring again only after we were for sure out?
I think it was quite clear he was struggling with nagging rib related issues, if it wasn't outright said at some point. If he was back in playing shape and producing by the time we were out of a playoff spot... well, that sounds like a coincidence to me.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I think it was quite clear he was struggling with nagging rib related issues, if it wasn't outright said at some point. If he was back in playing shape and producing by the time we were out of a playoff spot... well, that sounds like a coincidence to me.

4 goals, 2 assists, last 15 games of season. 18-25 minutes per game. One goal was that wonderful last game where nobody cared.

Really stepped it up when it counted, eh

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
But to be fair, everyone's hero Reinhart had 2 goals 4 assists during that same time.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
4 goals, 2 assists, last 15 games of season. 18-25 minutes per game. One goal was that wonderful last game where nobody cared.

Really stepped it up when it counted, eh
Wait, Buffalo was in the playoff race with 15 games to go?

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I’m leanong towards half bust. He will probably break out between the age of 24-27...

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
While playing for the Seattle superhuannakas.
Yeah, my bet would be on him playing for another team by then.
We will probably have a great year next season, to the surprise of everyone. And then the league will **** us with some weird expansion draft rules making us expose Reinhart. Or maybe there will be another lockout the year that is going to be ”our year”.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
So far it's looking like Reinhart is to the #2 pick as RNH is to the #1 pick.

Whole lotta "Meh".

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Thought this was a good place to put this.... from the Trade board.... Comparing Scheifele's career, to Reinhart's career/trajectory
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/143894411/

-----------------

They both went back to juniors in their 1st post draft season.

In their 2nd post draft season... Reinhart was in the NHL (42 in 79/0.53 per), while Scheifele was back to juniors.

3rd post draft year
Scheifele: 34 in 63 : 0.54 pts per game
Reinhart: 47 in 79: 0.59 pts per game

4th post draft year
Scheifele: 49 in 82 : 0.60 pts per game
Reinhart: 47 in 78: 0.60 pts per game

You've also heard Sabres fans talk a lot about Reinhart's development in the 2nd half of this season (4th post draft year).

Here's a breakdown of Scheifele's 4th post draft year
1st 40 games: 19 points
Next 42 games: 30 points

Low and behold, projecting on that 2nd half of his 4th post draft year... Scheifele was on a near 60 point pace.... and what did he do in his next season? That's right... posted his first 60+ point season, followed by his first 80 point season the following year

His 2nd half in that 4th post draft season... is very similar to what Sabres fans are pointing out about Reinhart:

Reinhart's 4th post draft year:
1st 40 games: 13 points
Next 38 games: 34 points

I feel pretty comfortable with Reinhart's development and trajectory (I always have). Not everyone comes in to the league a star... some guys, like Reinhart, follow a path like Scheifele's... developing their game, a little slower, but methodically.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
So far it's looking like Reinhart is to the #2 pick as RNH is to the #1 pick.

Whole lotta "Meh".

You voted Reinhart as a bust. You pumped up the Nylander pick more than anyone for #8 in 2016, and mocked people who wanted Serg.

Can you tell us what your crystal ball says about the 2018 draft?

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Great memories

Alright, who wants to bet right now that this same thread will be remade in October when Reinhart has 4-5 points in the first 10, playing a mainly defensive line role with OReilly?

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Wake me up when he plays well when we haven't been eliminated from the playoffs already.
What was the last time this team was realistically "in the race"?

wait why do I even bother, you'll always find something to try and discredit him anyways

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Suffering for a near decade when it's all said and done and our second biggest "prize" will start his career with 3 straight >50 point seasons. Now that he had a hot streak his supporters are back out. Even with his hot streak he still is only back to his normal 20-24 goals 42-49 point phase.

Let me know when Reinhart makes an impact on his own or make players around him produce. There are several players his age or younger including numerous from his own draft that are so far ahead of him it isn't funny.

Reinhart isn't a bust. Never was. Just a massive disappointment for "suffering". If anyone expected Reinhart to need at least 4 full NHL seasons before hitting 50 points when we drafted him not a single one of you would have been happy with that knowledge. He was drafted to turn this franchise around. Instead he fits right in with another fake franchise center/leader in RoR. Always has the perfect quote after each game where they embarrass themselves and the fans

Reactions: Sabres43

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
What was the last time this team was realistically "in the race"?

wait why do I even bother, you'll always find something to try and discredit him anyways

He's not wrong at all, its easy to step up your game when you're playing with no pressure. It's not off base to say that Reinhart's poor play in the beginning of the season contributed to where we are now. I think he's improved substantially but we were saying the same thing last year at this time in regards to how he has improved only to see him falter again early in the season. If he continues to play at the level he is playing at right now, I'm sure everyone's perception of him will change.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
He's not wrong at all, its easy to step up your game when you're playing with no pressure. It's not off base to say that Reinhart's poor play in the beginning of the season contributed to where we are now. I think he's improved substantially but we were saying the same thing last year at this time in regards to how he has improved only to see him falter again early in the season. If he continues to play at the level he is playing at right now, I'm sure everyone's perception of him will change.
Where was this narrative in February 2017 around Jack Eichel?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad