Are we ready to admit that Reinhart is a bust?

Bust?

• Total voters

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
I searched for an image / .gif of lemmings over the cliff, but then I read that's essentially a myth, that they do it instinctively. Kinda made me sad actually. Fun fact: About 20 years ago I used the analogy of lemmings over the cliff in a mgmt review to describe a bad manufacturing process where we were sending one bad part after another through the next process steps, oblivious to it's eventual scrapping at final QA. (My team fixed the process.)
Even sadder, apparently there was a documentary (http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/lemmings.asp) that wanted to film the lemmings natural behavior of jumping off a cliff, but when they didn't actually do it, the documentary makers threw the lemmings off the cliff to get the shots they wanted.

In some ways it makes it a more fitting analogy, as some posters seem to crave the drama of the team and this board going over the cliff so much that they're forcing it to happen at a point in time it shouldn't be happening naturally. At least not to the post-apocalyptic level things have been around here lately.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
How dare anyone criticize Reinhart. Reinhart>Draisaitl obviously :sarcasm:

I was strongly for Reinhart over Bennett. But didn't even give guys like Nylander or Draisaitl a second thought. Reinhart is going to be a 55-60 point player at best. His "hockey IQ" is pretty laughable considering that's his supposed best strength/quality.

Sabres rebuild will fail because Reinhart is just a decent player, not #2 overall pick good which we needed him to be.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Well he wasn’t on the ice for 5 goals against today. So that’s something.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
He was actually not bad today. Made some good plays out there. The real concern is the 14M duo.

This team doesn't have the depth to be spreading their few quality players out like they have. I want to see Eichel-Reinhart back together. Girgs flanking the left side

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
He was actually not bad today. Made some good plays out there. The real concern is the 14M duo.

This team doesn't have the depth to be spreading their few quality players out like they have. I want to see Eichel-Reinhart back together. Girgs flanking the left side

Really don't want to break up the Girgs/Eichel/Pommers line. Rather see Reinhart with ROR and Okposo. I think the 3 of them could get things going with Reinhart...that or its the worst idea I've ever had... not sure yet lol. Other part of me thinks Reinhart with ROR and Kane would work well but I'd prefer Kane to be on the 3rd line doing his own thing.

Larry,Griffith, and Kane on the 3rd.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Really don't want to break up the Girgs/Eichel/Pommers line. Rather see Reinhart with ROR and Okposo. I think the 3 of them could get things going with Reinhart...that or its the worst idea I've ever had... not sure yet lol. Other part of me thinks Reinhart with ROR and Kane would work well but I'd prefer Kane to be on the 3rd line doing his own thing.

Larry,Griffith, and Kane on the 3rd.

breakup the ROR-Okposo romance. it's stale.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
breakup the ROR-Okposo romance. it's stale.

I had though the same to split them up but I'm going for the home run fix. Okposo or ROR on the 3rd line probably only helps one of them and splits up the talent too much on the roster.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
He should be traded for a 2/3 d

Middlestadt and Asplund along with Pu won't be in Buffalo next year.

There is n9 top end young help coming for another couple of years at least. Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching, all right wingers, not all will make the roster.

Nylander? Not seeing it.

The Sabres pipeline and club roster are devoid of Chemistry and Talent.

Its going to be a long 5 more years.
Mittelstadt may be on the team by the end of the year. Especially the way we are playing. Let alone next year.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
We also have Asplund and Mittlestadt coming as soon as next year.

Unless we start making trades, we'll have 7 natural centers in our top 9, which is crazy to think about:
Eichel
ROR
Girgs
Larsson
Reinhart
Mittlestadt
Asplund​

So whatever happens, there's gonna be 4 centers playing wing. It's neither a crime nor a tragedy if Reinhart is one of them.
Sam is not a good winger, that is the problem. For me he either succeeds at center down the line or hes a bust as he will never be a good enough winger to justify top10 selection that wouldnt be called a bust.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
I see that the vast majority aren't going along with my line of thinking. That's fine. However, I am fairly sure we are seeing the beginning of Reinhart's regression now that he's not playing on Jacks wing. I can argue all I want, but people here are still going to go off of his "potential" and bring up point figures that aren't at all impressive, and where he was mainly the benefactor of playing with Eichel. I'll lay my argument to rest until the end of the season, and I'd love to be eating a whole bunch of crow, but I have a feeling he's not going to match his point total from the previous two years, and he's going to be a healthy scratch a few times.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I see that the vast majority aren't going along with my line of thinking. That's fine. However, I am fairly sure we are seeing the beginning of Reinhart's regression now that he's not playing on Jacks wing. I can argue all I want, but people here are still going to go off of his "potential" and bring up point figures that aren't at all impressive, and where he was mainly the benefactor of playing with Eichel. I'll lay my argument to rest until the end of the season, and I'd love to be eating a whole bunch of crow, but I have a feeling he's not going to match his point total from the previous two years, and he's going to be a healthy scratch a few times.
He said as Eichel is desperately trying to reach the heights of 40% Corsi.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Girgs can have 50 this season playing on Jacks wing. Does that make him an amazing hockey player worthy of top10 pick?

Do you think Girgs will score 50 this season playing with Jack?
Do the 50 points count less because they were scored on Jack's wing?

ADK

LETS GO BUFFALO!
Oct 3, 2017
Eastern NY
I will never say that Sam is a bust until..

1) He plays an entire season at #2c
2) With capable wingers on his line

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
He said as Eichel is desperately trying to reach the heights of 40% Corsi.

You really act as if the Corsi is the end-all-be-all. You state so things "matter of factly", like there's no possible way that you're wrong. Sam Reinhart has 0 points this year and has 1 total shot. I'm all for analytics, I certainly use it as a tool to evaluate a player's overall game. I understand that his 5 on 5 CF% is strong. Does that mean he's our best 5 on 5 player? If that's the sole stat you want to rely on, ignoring all of the other factors that go into it - go ahead. Corsi is not a perfect stat by any means and even the most ardent supporters of it will readily concede that point. We can continue to argue as certainly you have a wildly different viewpoint of Reinhart as I do, but time will tell. I'd rather not get into a snark exchange with you and let the season and his play speak for itself.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
You really act as if the Corsi is the end-all-be-all. You state so things "matter of factly", like there's no possible way that you're wrong. Sam Reinhart has 0 points this year and has 1 total shot. I'm all for analytics, I certainly use it as a tool to evaluate a player's overall game. I understand that his 5 on 5 CF% is strong. Does that mean he's our best 5 on 5 player? If that's the sole stat you want to rely on, ignoring all of the other factors that go into it - go ahead. Corsi is not a perfect stat by any means and even the most ardent supporters of it will readily concede that point. We can continue to argue as certainly you have a wildly different viewpoint of Reinhart as I do, but time will tell. I'd rather not get into a snark exchange with you and let the season and his play speak for itself.
And you act as if the number of points after 4 (!) games is the end-all-be-all. This is a good hockey team when Sam Reinhart is on the ice. Always has been.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I'm more worried about Risto not showing signs of becoming a #1 Defenseman and every year is seemingly regressing with his play, than I am about Reinhart "busting", which is still not true. Reinhart busting is 100% based on what people's expectations are on his draft position. I think some people are so hyperbolic with their breakdown of players. If he doesn't live up to the #2 selection, OMG he's a bust, He can't play hockey, he can't skate, but his numbers indicate that he is at worst a top 6 player(probably a 2nd line guy). If you want busts, and boy do the Sabres have some in the past, look at guys who were mid 1st round picks during Darcy's reign and, who haven't played in the NHL at all. THOSE are busts.

Reinhart has shown that he can play in this league well. Yes, it stinks he's not playing up to "2nd overall numbers"(though I disagree a little with that) but in no way is he a bust of a player.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Didn't Kane not get a point for the first 18 or so games last year?

Kane had 9 points in his first 18 games last season. He reached his 1st point in his 6th game, and his first goal in his 13th game.

If memory serves me correctly, I believe he was out for a bit when we went down vs Montreal in the first game. (10-13 was 1st game and 11-9 was his 2nd game) Not sure you can blame him not getting points if he's not healthy enough to play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->