Are we ready to admit that Reinhart is a bust?

Bust?

• Total voters

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
As bad as the season has started, IMHO Sam seems stronger and faster this season. The results have definitely not been there, but it's only been 3 games in a new system.

And if means anything, the Devils are skating circles around the Leafs right now, so maybe the Devils are just better than expected versus the Sabres being horrible.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
As bad as the season has started, IMHO Sam seems stronger and faster this season. The results have definitely not been there, but it's only been 3 games in a new system.

And if means anything, the Devils are skating circles around the Leafs right now, so maybe the Devils are just better than expected versus the Sabres being horrible.
Thinking the same with the added thought that perhaps the Sabres aren't taking their competition as seriously as they should be?

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Now that Eichel signed his extension I think the likelihood that Reinhart gets traded has significantly increased. Unless we catch fire this season Botterill will want to address problems and put more of his stamp on the team - we only have a few players who could return anything decent - ROR and Reinhart, then maybe Nylander and McCabe.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
It's not management's fault that our previous coach refused to look back at Ryan O'Reilly's previous body of work and decide to give him a shot at wing for a few games even though he has excelled their in his career. Even when Buffalo was clearly eliminated from the playoffs with 10+ games to go Disco Dan didn't try any different line combos. It's way too early to say Housley is going down the same road but there's no better time to try RoR at wing with the way he's playing and he still opted to "punish" Reinhart over trying RoR as Jack or Sam's winger.

Not applying any of my sentiment to Botts/Phil. I see mgmt as including the GM and the coaching staff. I agree with everything you said regarding the previous mgmt group. More than willing to have Housley experiment a bit.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I wish we drafted Draisaitl :( Stokes was bang on with that pick. Too bad though, the Sam's were almost unanimously seen as the top forwards.

I liked draisatl then and now. But don't underestimate the mcdavid effect.

As much as Eichel can be a beast when he is on his game, mcdavid is an opportunity creating machine. Like every shift somebody on Edmonton gets a chance. If Reinhart was in Edmonton his totals would be pumped up a bit.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I, for one, am very much looking forward to the "Are we ready to admit the Okposo signing is Ville Leino-level bad" thread after Game 5, and the "In what year can we realistically buy out ROR" thread after Game 8. :laugh:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I, for one, am very much looking forward to the "Are we ready to admit the Okposo signing is Ville Leino-level bad" thread after Game 5, and the "In what year can we realistically buy out ROR" thread after Game 8. :laugh:

When do we compare Eichel to Turgeon?

Edit: it's already time. Those questions are already being thought through in the trade proposal thread.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Sabres first rounders Jiri Novotny, Artem Kryukov, Marek Zagrapan, Dennis Persson, and Mikhail Grigorenko are 2000's draft picks that qualify as "busts."

Sam Reinhart is clearly nowhere's near them, so he is obviously not a bust.

He didn't come out like a house on fire like some other 2000's - 2'nd overall picks Heatley, Spezza, Staal - Eric, Malkin, Doughty, or Laine: but he's not a Kari Lehtonen either.

2'nd overall picks like Hedman, and Seguin took a couple years to develop.

He still has time to become a good player. At worst he's Bobby Ryan, Gabriel Landeskog, Ryan Murray type player.

To call him a bust, or even ask if he's a bust is just not a good question worded as such...

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
There are different levels of bust. You want the top forward picked in his draft to thrive in the NHL, not just survive. So far, he's just living here.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
lol he reminds of of alex galchenyuk. Everything is there for him to be a sixty point player, but he always leaves you disappointed.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He isn't living up to what I expected to get from a 2nd overall pick.

Bust may be harsh, but he does need to produce more for the pick to look good.

And right now, both Sams don't look that great. I still remember that Sabres kid at the draft with a sign that said "Just give me a Sam".

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
He isn't living up to what I expected to get from a 2nd overall pick.
Pretty sure he was the consensus top 3. Other than Nylander and Draisdatl that year, it's hard to argue anyone else should have gone before him at the time. Most of this forum was Sam v. Sam, and we see Bennett not exactly lighting it up like a top 5 pick. Of course, hindsight is 20/20, but the Sabres also have a whole batch of high draft picks that have arrested development for one reason or another. Is that a talent evaluation problem, or a development problem. Sam was doing great and was projecting high until his pro seasons started. Then he was part of this train wreck.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Sam was doing great and was projecting high until his pro seasons started. Then he was part of this train wreck.

He couldn't skate and was completely non-physical before he was drafted. That he hasn't stood out at the pro level can't really be that much of a surprise.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I am not voting in the poll as I don't agree with either option to be honest.
How can you disagree with the poll options when they're X or not X.

I've seen some funny objections to polls on these boards, but those two are the logical universe.

Reactions: Aladyyn

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
I'd say his floor is Sam Gagner with a ceiling of David Legwand.

It's not exactly hindsight to say Reinhart isn't fast, dynamic or an unphysical player. Some of that was hidden while playing wing to Eichel. As soon as he is put at center, those flaws become glaring which is going to kill his value in the leauge. Management needs to make a decision on him soon and either move him to Eichel's wing so Sam can put up points again in order to trade him for a top defenseman, or go all in and hope Sam will be a solid #2 center. Considering that Sam will need speedy/skilled wingers to do all the dirty work, the second option seems like bad asset management to me.

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
He's not a bust yet, way too early for that. I do see him as a bit of disappointment considering where he was drafted, but then again, his draft position is not his fault and even back at the time we knew that it wasn't a very strong draft at the top. In fact, things have played out pretty much as we expected them too back then. Of the three options we had (Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl), Rein was the safe one with not a lot of flash but a very low floor, and that's exactly how things have been going for him so far. Draisaitl was the boom-or-bust pick of the three and he has turned out great, but while I would've loved to get him back then for the German-factor alone, he was the riskier of the picks and who knows how he would've developed had he been in the trainwreck that was our organisation these last few years instead of in Edmonton. And for Bennett, his strong start seems to cloud some peoples judgement because since then, Reinhart has arguably been the better and more effective player.

So yes, I am a bit disappointed Reinhart's impact so far, but he is still young and far from a finished product and he also is pretty much the player that he was advertised as back at the draft. Calling someone a "bust" this early is usually based on the expectations you had, and I'd argue that if you call Reinhart a bust at this point then it's because you had the wrong/overblown expectations in the first place. He will never be a dominating 1st line C, but he was never advertised as one either.

Last edited:

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
The only way to be disappointed with Reinhart is if the only measuring stick you have for players is their PPG. And, well...

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The only way to be disappointed with Reinhart is if the only measuring stick you have for players is their PPG. And, well...

Counting stats still matter.

Dominating possession and not scoring at a high rate isn't what I expect of a player selected as high as Reinhart went.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad