Are the USA Men Eliminated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

two out of three*

Sorry for starting a thread for such a simple question. But do the top 4 teams go in each bracket? Cause I was listening to the USA/Sweden game on the radio, and they were saying 'this was a game that the U.S. had to win.' Can anyone fill my dumba-s in?

two out of three*

shawn_kemp said:
No. The US can upset Finland in the QF!

Oh ok. My friend told me they weren't out of it, and I couldn't believe it. I thought for sure they were done. Thanks though.

blindedbyfear

Mar 9, 2004
Suicide Nation
No, the US men are not eliminated.

You are correct that the top 4 in each group make the quarters.

The US should be 4th in their group and will be playing the top team in the other group, so it looks like a Finland/US quarterfinal game.

I didn't watch the game due to family commitments but one of my friends called me last night and asked me the same question and multiple people at work today tried telling me that the US "didn't qualify for the medal round".

Was this the Doc/JD crew doing this game? I'd like to know who said it because it became an accepted belief in less than 24 hours. Kind of irresponsible if you ask me.

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
blindedbyfear said:
No, the US men are not eliminated.

You are correct that the top 4 in each group make the quarters.

The US should be 4th in their group and will be playing the top team in the other group, so it looks like a Finland/US quarterfinal game.

I didn't watch the game due to family commitments but one of my friends called me last night and asked me the same question and multiple people at work today tried telling me that the US "didn't qualify for the medal round".

Was this the Doc/JD crew doing this game? I'd like to know who said it because it became an accepted belief in less than 24 hours. Kind of irresponsible if you ask me.

I think what got people thinking this was a possiblity if KAZ won the game against SLO since they were ahead yesterday during the U.S.A. game, and if KAZ beat LAT tomorrow, which they easily could...U.S.A. would NOT have made the final 8. It was a possibility but SLO came back to win so the point is moot now.

Last edited:

blindedbyfear

Mar 9, 2004
Suicide Nation
Yes that definitely would have been a possibility.

After the games yesterday, it has become a moot point.

It is a bit upsetting to me, at least, as an American, that people are so down on our Olympic team. My honest best hope was 3rd in the group and for whomever the starting goaltender was to get hot for Tuesday and Wednesday and see if they can get a medal.

I just wish the casual fan had hopes coming in that were a little more realistic. There is way more attention being paid to this team than usual where I live since Erik Cole is on the team and everyone is expecting a repeat of 2002. People who I work with think that we're going to be having the Erik Cole gold medal parade this summer.

I've tried to tell people to temper their pie-in-the-sky thinking and use an analogy of the NHL Playoffs. It's one and out when you get to the quarters so you need your team to get hot at the right time. I'm not counting them out yet.

As I said before, I didn't watch the Sweden/US broadcast so I don't know if the context was made known for the "must win" comment. If it was then people shouldn't have gotten upset. But if it wasn't put into proper context then it's a bit regrettable.

But it doesn't seem as if much is taken into context with all of this now, does it.

technophile

Oct 10, 2005
Austin, TX
www.randomtree.org
blindedbyfear said:
As I said before, I didn't watch the Sweden/US broadcast so I don't know if the context was made known for the "must win" comment. If it was then people shouldn't have gotten upset. But if it wasn't put into proper context then it's a bit regrettable.
I can't recall exactly what was said, but IIRC it was something along the lines of "The US has to win this game to clinch a spot in the QF, but they may be able to pull it out with a tie as well." There was no mention of a possibility of being in the QF if they lost, which most people seem to have interpreted as "if they lose, they're out".

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Technically the US hasn't clinched yet. The US has a goal +/- of +1 and Lativa has a -17. Now if Lativa wins tomorrow and the US loses then Lativa would have to make an 18 goal margin. Clearly that's not going to happen but that's the only way the US gets eliminated.

So... Rus 12 - USA 0 & Lat 9 - Kaz 0 would do it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->