Votes: 156 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 26 14.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens are not like other cup teams. They have as good a chance in any series to win. It really doesn't matter who is playing well in the regular season. Pens have the grind and pressure type offense to beat any goal tender. But injuries and when you meet is important as well. Pens after a hard physical series vs Columbus and the Caps struggled to find consistency from there.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Pens after a hard physical series vs Columbus and the Caps struggled to find consistency from there.

Well, they won the Cup. So I'm not sure what validity your point has. Do you expect every series to be easy? Of course not.

No rudeness meant, just don't see the validity of your post.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Definitely agree. Gotta get L3 and L4 some chemistry. Something other than HGH clicking.

I've seen some potential from Rust-Brass-Phil.

Actually, Rust and Brass have pretty apparent chemistry and Rust and Phil often play well together, but I'm not sure how much chemistry Brass and Phil have . . . with the one big proviso that it's difficult to know how much we've got in Rust-Brass-Phil until (a) we see some tougher competition and (b) until Phil presumably shifts back into gear when the playoffs start.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The Pens will defeat Philly, Washington, Boston and Winnipeg on the way to the cup.

I read it .........in my diary..........where I wrote it.

Reactions: KIRK

Dey so soff*

Feb 17, 2017
There’s a very real possibility of the Pens having to endure 4 straight rounds of nasty, physical hockey in order to 3 peat.

Washington, Philly, Columbus, Boston, Tampa (somewhat), literally any western team would be extremely brutal series that could seriously wear down an already fatigued and undersized Pens team.

Best bet in any series is to hit the ice running and try to race to 4 wind before the physicality takes its toll...

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
There’s a very real possibility of the Pens having to endure 4 straight rounds of nasty, physical hockey in order to 3 peat.

Washington, Philly, Columbus, Boston, Tampa (somewhat), literally any western team would be extremely brutal series that could seriously wear down an already fatigued and undersized Pens team.

Best bet in any series is to hit the ice running and try to race to 4 wind before the physicality takes its toll...

I hope teams try to go out of their way to hit us every chance they get.

They’ll lose.

Dey so soff*

Feb 17, 2017

They’ll lose.
Yes, that strategy has cost other teams the past two years but the Pens are more tired and fatigued after two long runs and all it takes is one injury to a key player...

Wilson might “accidentally” trip and fall upward into someone’s head...

Marchand might “accidentally” trip and go knee on knee with someone...

Dubinsky might “accidentally” lose his balance and ram his stick into someone’s neck...

I know, I know, Wilson didn’t do anything the past two years and neither did Dubinsky...

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

They’ll lose.

Teams that have tried that have given up on it completely a couple of games or so into the attempt but by then have dug themselves too deep a hole to crawl out of. Columbus, Washington, the Rangers, San Jose, Nashville, and on and on, they all seem to think that it is brilliant and then learn to late that it is dumb.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yes, that strategy has cost other teams the past two years but the Pens are more tired and fatigued after two long runs and all it takes is one injury to a key player...

Wilson might “accidentally” trip and fall upward into someone’s head...

Marchand might “accidentally” trip and go knee on knee with someone...

Dubinsky might “accidentally” lose his balance and ram his stick into someone’s neck...

I know, I know, Wilson didn’t do anything the past two years and neither did Dubinsky...

I mean what are you going to do about it? Nothing is preventing that kind of thing from happening if an opposing player wants to do that.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
It's so hard to call. The Blue Jackets have gone from backing into the playoffs to winners of seven-straight.

Dey so soff*

Feb 17, 2017
I mean what are you going to do about it? Nothing is preventing that kind of thing from happening if an opposing player wants to do that.
You’re right. But I guess what I am saying is that quite a few other playoff teams have that kind of physicality and players that play “on the edge”. The Pens have nobody...

Yes, yes, I know that physicality and playing with an edge hasn’t beat the Pens in the last 2 postseasons. But in both of those runs they have had 1 series that was relatively “easy” on them as far as physicality and “cheap” play. 2016 it was the Rags to start it off. Last year it was the Sens in the ECF. This year they could very easily have to run the gauntlet of big, physical teams from start to finish. And those teams can score as well...

But that’s why they play the games...

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

I don't know, maybe a half dozen teams over the past two years putting themselves in a hole with that strategy against the Pens in the playoffs?

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
You’re right. But I guess what I am saying is that quite a few other playoff teams have that kind of physicality and players that play “on the edge”. The Pens have nobody...

Yes, yes, I know that physicality and playing with an edge hasn’t beat the Pens in the last 2 postseasons. But in both of those runs they have had 1 series that was relatively “easy” on them as far as physicality and “cheap” play. 2016 it was the Rags to start it off. Last year it was the Sens in the ECF. This year they could very easily have to run the gauntlet of big, physical teams from start to finish. And those teams can score as well...

But that’s why they play the games...

I think you underestimate us a bit. We’ll still hit guys and with speed. We actually hit more than Boston and yes we have some small guys but we have heavier guys that hit too.

We also have so many hard workers on this team. Playing a team like the Pens in the playoffs will wear the opposition out. We will have great scoring ability on all lines (relative to the line they are on).

Chasing down guys, getting stuck in their own end and the better players having to play more because of how our offense is spread takes it’s toll too, I’d say more so.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
It's so hard to call. The Blue Jackets have gone from backing into the playoffs to winners of seven-straight.
CBJ, Philly and NJ all seem to be streaky teams. The CBJ's go as their offense goes. Philly goes as their D and goal tending goes it seems.

Reactions: BHD

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Some of these teams have to play one another. So there's at least that. But DAMN this is a crazy race. Pens actually have to keep winning.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
As is:

NJ vs. Tampa
Boston vs. Toronto

Caps vs. CBJ
Pens vs. Flyers

If we play Philly when they aren't playing well, that could be our best outcome. But it could switch so much in these last 10 games. But when I look at these matchups, I don't see a walk through for any team. I do think Tampa's system would welcome NJ. They could sit back a tad and transition on NJ all day. Use their speed against them. Coop does well with that.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
As is:

NJ vs. Tampa
Boston vs. Toronto

Caps vs. CBJ
Pens vs. Flyers

If we play Philly when they aren't playing well, that could be our best outcome. But it could switch so much in these last 10 games. But when I look at these matchups, I don't see a walk through for any team. I do think Tampa's system would welcome NJ. They could sit back a tad and transition on NJ all day. Use their speed against them. Coop does well with that.

With the way the Flyers have played this year, I feel the series will either go 7 games (and not in our favor) or we'll sweep them. They're so streaky that there probably won't be an in between. They'll either be an incredibly tough match, or they'll be a brisk work out in preparation for Round 2.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Isles, Habs, Devils, Flyers, Red Wings, Devils, Habs, Caps, Jackets, Sens.

That's not a bad schedule left. Devils/Flyers/Caps/Jackets we control our destiny for playoffs. The other games are against teams who are failing miserably.

rick6668

Jan 22, 2013
Rochester, NY
6 points out of 8 would solidify their spot near the top pretty well. Although the first 2 games are against lesser opponents, the last 2 (Devils and Philly) are much more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad