Votes: 26 14.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think we all know the situation we are in. Pens dug themselves a big hole. It's more likely than not that we are missing the playoffs. But if there is any team in the NHL to turn this around and turn it into gold - it's the Pittsburgh Penguins.

We've gone over the "why" multiple times. That's where we are. Most likely we are not going to be able to make up ground, but you guys already know me. I'm always optimistic. As Badger Bob would say - that's the only way to live life.

Reactions: Pancakes

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I think we all know the situation we are in. Pens dug themselves a big hole. It's more likely than not that we are missing the playoffs. But if there is any team in the NHL to turn this around and turn it into gold - it's the Pittsburgh Penguins.

We've gone over the "why" multiple times. That's where we are. Most likely we are not going to be able to make up ground, but you guys already know me. I'm always optimistic. As Badger Bob would say - that's the only way to live life.

Really? We’re in now and haven’t played that well. I can’t really see us missing the playoffs.

ETA

Aug 8, 2008
The data overall points to "no" based on how many putrid games they've played but the recent tweaks to the lines give me hope... I do think getting a strong 3C / couple of bangers on the wings could increase their odds a lot but, like others here, not if it's trading our future away. The playoffs are a total crapshoot anyway -- I was thrilled with the Pens winning back to back but they could have easily been bounced, particularly last year...

Voted no based on the season as a whole so far but hoping that they can build on the recent excellent play and maybe get a bit more puck luck...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Wish I knew. To me its pretty 50-50 with the big question being how much the players want it. I think this team is perfectly capable of getting in if they extract their heads from their posteriors, but I'm not sure how many of them want to do that enough.

Reactions: Jacob

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I think so, as long as we don't get any big injuries.

If we were playing the same system as we were in 2017 I'd say no way in hell. In 2018, we've objectively changed our system to what it was in 2016 when we dominated the second half of the season. You can see that in how many more oddman breaks and offensive turnovers we're getting and how much less time the other team has to make plays in our zone. I think we can finish as many opportunities as any other team sans Tampa so I think we can win most of our remaining games.

Reactions: NJPensFan5

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Really? We’re in now and haven’t played that well. I can’t really see us missing the playoffs.
Well you know I'M optimistic, but we do not have games in hand and they should take us over, ceteris paribus, when these games are played.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Yep, I’m pretty surprised by the results so far.
There is a quiet confidence after watching Sid and Geno starting to play with more urgency over the last couple games. We have the #1 PP and our 2nd half schedule is more favorable. Not a lot of room for error and a longer term injury that would put Sheahan at 2c would be very rough, but I think we will see them play better in the 2nd half. We will still need to get help to go deep in the playoffs though.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
While it wouldbe hilarious to see us miss and win the lottery... they will go on their typical feb-march mega run and make it... this isnt the first time we thought they were doomed this late in the season....

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Well you know I'M optimistic, but we do not have games in hand and they should take us over, ceteris paribus, when these games are played.

Yeah I know you are which is why I was suprised.

If it’s out of NYR, Pitt, NYI, Philly and Carolina for the final 2 spots, I’ll back us to be in the top 2 of that group. We play them all twice and we have an easier schedule than the first part of the season. Still yet to see the tweaks JR makes but that’ll more decide how far we go in the playoffs WHEN we make it. :)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I mean, Islanders are likely done with the injuries. They are either are going to make a huge push to bring people in or possibly move Tavares.

Flyers are still a young team.

Canes too.

We make our own path and our record is great against the Metro.

Plus, Sullivan is doing a good job scratching the right players and putting together the right lines.

We should make it. Funny for me to be saying this.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I mean, Islanders are likely done with the injuries. They are either are going to make a huge push to bring people in or possibly move Tavares.

Flyers are still a young team.

Canes too.

We make our own path and our record is great against the Metro.

Plus, Sullivan is doing a good job scratching the right players and putting together the right lines.

We should make it. Funny for me to be saying this.

Did we just switch bodies? :laugh:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
If they play the way they’re capable of then they will. It’s a question of if they will be that team and I don’t think they will, but I’m wrong a lot so who knows.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
If they play the way they’re capable of then they will. It’s a question of if they will be that team and I don’t think they will, but I’m wrong a lot so who knows.
I often use your posts as a gauge to how right I am. :snide:

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Our season has really mirrored Crosby’s season.

Game 1-10: Tough draw and has Niemi but Sid 10pts in 10 games. Pens 6-3-1

Game 11-20: very very hard draw. 3 back to backs, 7 away games and all but one in different time zones. Sid 5pts in 10 games Pens 4-4-2

Game 21-30: easier draw, 7 home games no travel outside time zone. Sid 16pts in 10 games. Pens 6-4-0

Games 31-40: bit of a mix in travel/home, tough/easy games. This stretch started after Crosby took a good blow to the head. Sid 4pts in 10 games. Pens 3-7-0

Games 41-44: All games on the east coast and faced 3 teams we are fighting against plus the inform Boston. Not the easiest of draws. Sid seems refreshed 8 pts in 4 games. Pens 3-1-0.

Reactions: ncm7772

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I also voted earlier that we would make it to the playoffs. I believe that but I don't see us being a true contender unless we make a good trade or two. I think we exit in the first or second round unfortunately

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad