Are the Kings the ONLY team who AREN'T holding significant amounts of STH money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Being a STH (season ticket holder) of the Kings, when it came time to renew for this season, the Kings offered a $100 per seat deposit option because of the lockout - the team would hold my season seats for a refundable $100 deposit - no additional money was due until the season resumes.

The more I read, the more I'm realizing the Kings may be the ONLY team that's doing this, and if I were a fan who had to pay for the entire season up front - I'd be furious at the owners of teams who are still holding huge amounts of fan money knowing full well the season is likely toast. It may be a significant reason why the NHL is refusing to cancel the season. They're making interest off of fans $$! Not cool.

Are any other teams offering the small deposit (or no deposit option)?

- T

GodZillaAteMyZamboni

Jan 18, 2003
Visit site
TonySCV said:
Being a STH (season ticket holder) of the Kings, when it came time to renew for this season, the Kings offered a $100 per seat deposit option because of the lockout - the team would hold my season seats for a refundable $100 deposit - no additional money was due until the season resumes.

The more I read, the more I'm realizing the Kings may be the ONLY team that's doing this, and if I were a fan who had to pay for the entire season up front - I'd be furious at the owners of teams who are still holding huge amounts of fan money knowing full well the season is likely toast. It may be a significant reason why the NHL is refusing to cancel the season. They're making interest off of fans $$! Not cool.

Are any other teams offering the small deposit (or no deposit option)?

- T
In Washington, for people who have paid a deposit, the Caps are paying interest until the season starts. I believe other teams are doing this as well. If I recall, it's like 3%, which is more than you'd get in a savings account. Teams aren't making money from your money right now.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Interesting question. It's really hard to tell exactly what teams are doing what. So much rhetoric is being tossed around like every owner has all the fan's money, and won't give any of it back.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
NYRs give you refunds from the Season Tickets as the games are cancelled, they give your refund on a monthly basis, 3% interest. Same as Columbus (below)

Last edited:

jacketracket*

Columbus is returning STH money monthly, as each month's games are cancelled, with 3% interest.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
In Tampa, it's a bit more complicated, and I hope I remember this correctly because as you'll see I had to cough up ticket money almost a year ago. They raised the prices significantly, but last February offered '03-'04 prices to people who already had ticket packages of any type (12 games to full season). You also had to agree to this early renewal to get first crack at playoff tickets. We had to pay half in March, and half again in May. If you let them keep the money, they'd give you 10% per month in money that can be spent at the Forum (concessions, playoff tickets, concerts). The longer this drags on, the closer I am to having at least a few rounds of playoff tickets paid in full. :) While that's kind of nice, I'd rather be going to games instead, but anyway...

The ONLY reason I gave them my money was to get the reduced ticket price, and I'd imagine that was the case with most people. My tickets were going up over $10 per game. This is for a 12 ticket pack, so more games=less of an increase, but you get some idea of the jump in prices. The regular ticket prices for 04-05 can be seen here if anyone's curious. (It's obvious they haven't updated that page in a while since they don't mention the Cup, yet they mention Cory Stillman :shakehead)

The refund policy as far as I've heard is this, but I've never inquired about it myself so this is 2nd hand:
- If you want a refund right now, you can get $$ for all cancelled games plus 2%
- If the season gets cancelled, you can get all $$ back at that point (I assume including the 2% interest)
- If there's an abbreviated season, you will get $$ back plus 2% for cancelled games only

Ask for a refund now, and you lose your seats, period. Plus if you changed your mind later, you'd have to pay the new increased prices. For me it's not such a huge deal since I only have a small package and don't sit with a big group so I don't care about my seats, but they really have the full STHs over a barrel.

I find it very interesting that some of you are getting money back every month. I guess I'm getting more "interest" in a way, but the spare cash wouldn't kill me either.

jacketracket*

Sotnos said:
I find it very interesting that some of you are getting money back every month. I guess I'm getting more "interest" in a way, but the spare cash wouldn't kill me either.
We had the option of applying the refund to future season's tickets --- I'm assuming that those who chose that route will receive a 3% bonus somewhere in the mix. I chose not to do it, simply because I thought (and still do) that this impasse is going to drag out longer than one lost season.

Of course, all full-season ticket holders here had to purchase a seat license prior to purchasing tickets, so I'll have my same seats when play does resume. I effectively own the seats, as long as I continue to purchase tix each year.

Sounds as if the ownership in Tampa has put some thought into properly rewarding STH who stay on board, and justly compensating those who seek a refund, too. Nice job.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
jacketracket said:
Sounds as if the ownership in Tampa has put some thought into properly rewarding STH who stay on board, and justly compensating those who seek a refund, too. Nice job.
Yeah, I don't think it's too bad of a deal really, but it's interesting to see how other teams are doing it. Given the choice, I'd bet a LOT of people here would have been happy to put up a $50-$100 deposit and let the other stuff go! :D We've had a few other perks along the way (private pictures with the Cup, tickets to the AHL game here, a skating party), but I'm sure most teams are doing something similar to try and keep the paying customers happy.

I don't believe they've ever had seat licenses here, but not 100% sure on that.

jacketracket*

Sotnos said:
.. We've had a few other perks along the way (private pictures with the Cup, ...
Now that's a nice perk!! :thumbu:

To the victors go the spoils... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->