Speculation: Are the Habs imitating Vegas?

NHL

Sep 1, 2014
Whatever opinion on this team is out there, there's only 2 games played and we should be cautious, as cautious as Price looks in interviews right now

Reactions: LaP

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Yes, they are copying the Vegas system. It's all about quick transition play, no more big circles, D-to-D passes, and then try to regroup the other way. As soon as the puck gets turned over it's going straight back the other way. There was a great article on Sportsnet with some details on this system, which Boston and Columbus also plays.

“When Columbus went on that insane run of wins we watched a lot of their video,” said Canadiens defenceman Karl Alzner, who was with the Washington Capitals in 2016. “In five games we saw them do maybe a total of two D-to-D passes and it made them so fast it was almost impossible to play against.”

Bruce Cassidy on the system:
“We try not to slow the game down,” said Cassidy. “By that I mean, when the D gets puck possession, it’s not always D-to-D. For us, we’re trying to go north. We’re up ice in a hurry. You can’t go up the ice in a hurry if the other four guys aren’t ready for the puck. So that’s what we tried to instill in practice from Day 1 is getting it up in a hurry before defences set their defence, or if they’re in a line change [we want to] make them think.”

Don't let the other team get set at all, jump all over them. The old system is turn the puck over, go D-to-D, delay, let your team change, let their team change, delay, wait for guys to come back, try to get to centre then dump it in. Now it's going right down the opposition's throat. I love it.

And I love that this system matches the team structure - quick little guys that can skate for days and handle the puck. It's quick passes, feet moving all the time, pressure all over the ice. We've got Lehkonen, Byron, Gallagher, Drouin, Domi, Peca, etc. These guys aren't made for a "grinding" game, they are made for a skating game, and that's what we're finally playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad