Are the Flames as bad as everyone thinks?

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I think Poirier and Morin if developed properly could be elite d-men, maybe not defensively but both could be 60+ point puck moving d-men.

Absolutely devastated that Poirier got injured and will seemingly still be out for a while, he was off to a cracking start with 7 points in 4 games. If he was able to play the full year he'd be on the Flames team by the end of the year no question when we sell all our UFA d-men.

I don't know the strength of this draft, but I think we still finish bottom 10 this year. If the hockey Gods were kind we win the lottery no matter where we are, one of Celebrini or Eiserman would go a LONG way to improving the team.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Since the start of November we have been playing at a 110 point pace (6th in the league in points over that stretch), top 10 in CF%, 3rd most 5v5 goals, but 18th in goals against. We are above water in xGF% which is impressive considering we’ve played Dallas twice, Vancouver, Colorado, and Vegas, as well as 66% of our games being on the road.

Our main issues so far is the team is still figuring out the system, as well as our atrocious power play. I’ve actually really liked our offensive system, it’s nice being able to attack up ice with speed and numbers again. Defensively the foundation is there but there are still obvious signs of confusion. We have the horses on the backend as well as Markstrom being back to himself so this definitely won’t be a long term issue. Powerplays generally boil down to familiarity, and our units haven’t played together much and like at 5v5, our players are still struggling learning a new system. Not saying it will every be elite, but it should get much better as the season progresses.

Could just be a hot month, but if this month is just a sign of the team starting to settle in we could be a lot better than people are giving us credit for. Our depth is starting to get fantastic as well, I genuinely don’t know who I want removed from this lineup when Pelletier is back (at this point it’s probably Dube).

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
They're not horrible; but they're also far from good. Too many games off, lack of game breakers. I love that they don't 'quit' which is nice.

I said it in the other thread; they're a bubble team that won't be able to beat a team like LV, Colorado, etc, etc in a 7 game series. They still need to move on from 2/3 of those UFA D; and likely see what the ask for Lindholm is unless he's willing to come down to a reasonable number.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
The lack of elite talent will keep them in no man's land for the foreseeable future unless they bottom out and draft high or find an elite talent in the later rounds. Could be good enough to make the playoffs but will be an early round exit or will just miss it with a late season push. The secondary pieces are here, its time to build a team that can actually win something.

Reactions: Iggys Dome

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
They aren’t as bad as people make them out to be. But they aren’t a truly great team. They still lack game breaking talent. They work hard and will steal some games, but I don’t see this team going on a deep playoff run if they make it in. So basically, they’re mediocre. Which is something we’ve all been accustomed to with this franchise

Reactions: Iggys Dome

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad