Are the 2017/2018 Leafs legitimate contenders for the Cup?

Are the 2017/2018 Leafs legitimate contenders for the Cup?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Time will tell.
The NHL is low on #1D depth.
The NHL has lots of small RWers.

I'm not worried about the Leafs scoring going forward.
I am worried about the ability to keep the puck out of our net.
Hunter pretended Marner would be a C, which isn't going to happen.
I wanted a D that draft.
So did Babcock.
Hunter picked his boy Marner.

weird that the Blue Jackets are behind us in the standings, and barely better defensively.

Reactions: stickty111

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Very True.

This group would need divine intervention to win 16 games though.

Hyperbole. They don't all have to be won in a row. Again, we're better than a good number of teams that have made some runs. Let's see what happens when we get to the dance.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
weird that the Blue Jackets are behind us in the standings, and barely better defensively.
There are more players on the Leafs than just Marner and there are more players on the Jackets than Werenski.
That's the big reason.
It's a team game.

Reactions: thewave

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
We're better than the Senators team that made the ECF last year. We're better than the Oilers team that went all the way to the SCF all those years back.

In the playoffs, most bets are off. The right circumstances, and this team could go in any number of directions. We'll see when we get there.
:thumbu: Goalie needs to be huge.

Reactions: ErnieLeafs

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think the better question to ask is how far away is the "All in" push? because I don't think it is far away at all, I think it could start as early as this coming summer depending on what happens in the playoffs, if they go on a run and make it to round 3 I think they start ramping up the efforts to bring a cup here big time.

They have been making the slightest push so far with their Marleau signing, the attempted Thornton and Condon signings

if they go on a run and win a couple rounds I think they might get real aggressive real fast.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
No, not to the extent that we could become one by the trade deadline. However, playoff matchups are unknown, as are injuries - or hopefully lack of, in our case. Most of our UFAs (JVR aside - perhaps) aren't going to bring back a return where you sell them if you're figuring to be a playoff team. I only consider trading a UFA if the return is a 1st (+?) if the team remains in playoff position, and really just one of them as "sellers" aren't typically picking up multiple 1sts/equivalent value at the TDL.

No firm ground here; we aren't guaranteed to win a Cup if we retain the UFAs and we aren't guaranteed to hit a home run in any possible trade return. No need to do too much, or anything at all, if the price doesn't make sense.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
When are those that think the Team are contenders going to show up and vote?
Dying to know who they are.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
We're not contenders yet, so we shouldn't be buying - at least not much.

I think there is value in playoff experience, and I think we have the ability to go past the first round.

I believe our current tough stretch has been because we're trying to change from run-and-gun to a more responsible style of play. I think we will figure that out in the remaining half of the year and enter the playoffs stronger.

Technically, anything can happen in the playoffs but I still went with No Absolutely Not, because we're closer to that than anything else.

When are those that think the Team are contenders going to show up and vote?
Dying to know who they are.

I don't think there's many that think that. Can't think of anyone.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I voted 'No absolutely not.' However, once a team is in the playoffs, anything can happen!

I agree with this sentence, but it also IMO shows we are not contenders too. Contenders are right now favorites to win the cup. If you are a 'get in and anything can happen team' you aren't a contender and wont be even in the playoffs. Hoping for a miracle isn't the sign you are a top team contender wise

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
If they make the playoffs they are contenders, they contend for the cup. We've seen crazy cup runs before but the Leafs are not allowed to have those until they're fully built.

If Lou were to use small pieces to make small upgrades on the roster, I'd be completely fine with it just like last years Boyle trade. I really wish Boyle stayed with us though, think he'd be an upgrade on the 4th line (again)

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If they stick with this speed-+skill lineup and move past that December/January slump as quickly as possible the Leafs are a team that can certainly win a round or two of playoff hockey.

That + some luck and anything can happen.

A so-so Sens team was just 7 games away from the finals last year.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Babcock wanted Hanifin and he is a worse player then Marner.
Hunter is sending emails "see my player is better then yours"
Hunter was right, sorry Babcock

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
:thumbu: Goalie needs to be huge.

Yup. Anderson last year for Ottawa, Roloson for the Oil, Quick was massive when LA won it all as an 8 seed.

That's really the elixir. You need your goalie to get hot, and not have scoring trouble.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Time will tell.
The NHL is low on #1D depth.
The NHL has lots of small RWers.

I'm not worried about the Leafs scoring going forward.
I am worried about the ability to keep the puck out of our net.
Hunter pretended Marner would be a C, which isn't going to happen.
I wanted a D that draft.
So did Babcock.
Hunter picked his boy Marner.

You're not worried about the Leafs scoring going forward because they have a player like Marner, take him out of this equation and the offence takes a huge hit moving forward.

Werenski has the potential to be that #1 D, but he's not that today, and in the draft you take someone that has a chance to be a very good player, and both teams did that.

Marner carries every line he's on, that's a huge value to this team moving forward.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
And yet again another thread devolves into another 2015 draft debate. The grass is just always greener on the other side around here, especially when it comes to other team's D-men :laugh: Guess what, we did get a potentially elite D-man from the 2015 draft, and his name is Travis Dermott. If any of you are banking on Marner being traded, go find another team to cheer for - because there's a 99% chance he's staying in Toronto for the vast majority of his career.

I'm going to enjoy not seeing their faces around here when Marner is taking over playoff series.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
And yet again another thread devolves into another 2015 draft debate. The grass is just always greener on the other side around here, especially when it comes to other team's D-men :laugh: Guess what, we did get a potentially elite D-man from the 2015 draft, and his name is Travis Dermott. If any of you are banking on Marner being traded, go find another team to cheer for - because there's a 99% chance he's staying in Toronto for the vast majority of his career.

I'm going to enjoy not seeing their faces around here when Marner is taking over playoff series.
Rarely do threads stay on topic. Never use to be a problem now we're plagued with it.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Mmmn, no. Werenski has averaged 21:49 a game.
I wonder how much he actually watches Werenski? When Seth Jones is out with injury, his defensive game gets exposed big time. There's a reason Torts employs him as a "rover" (he's actually said this himself), because it's what his strength is.

How much do we really need a rover type defensemen??

Like I said, this forum always fetishizes other team's Dmen. Whether it be Werenski, Parayko, OEL or whomever, they're just always the piece that will take the Leafs to the next level :laugh:

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
How anyone can say NO is absolutely ridiculous. In today's NHL the parity is extreme more then ever. The Leafs like any other team have the ability to get hot at the right time and take it all. They have the horses to do so. If one team can be given that is absolutely head over heels better then anyone in the NHL right now with no flaws, please go ahead. But sorry even though TB and Boston and LV are ahead of Toronto, they are by no means a shoe in for the cup.

Reactions: studebaker17

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
While I think it's early to call them legit contenders I say once the playoffs start anything is possible.

Did anyone have Nashville winning the Western Conference last season and going to the Finals?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
While I think it's early to call them legit contenders I say once the playoffs start anything is possible.

Did anyone have Nashville winning the Western Conference last season and going to the Finals?
Did anyone see a Penguins team with no #1D winning the cup again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->