Are JR and the King just as important to the Attitude Era as The Rock and Stone Cold?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Didn't Michael Cole start taking over for JR during the Attitude Era while JR worked more backstage

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Are JR and the King just as important to the Attitude Era as The Rock and Stone Cold? Discuss
No. Fans don't watch for the annoucers.

That being said they can certainly contribute to making a moment even more special. Like JR commentary for Undertaker v Mankind hell in a cell makes that match more iconic.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Attachments

• Vince-Russo-WCW-645x370.png
    Vince-Russo-WCW-645x370.png
    193.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Haha
Reactions: CDJ

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Didn't Michael Cole start taking over for JR during the Attitude Era while JR worked more backstage

IIRC, Cole and JR worked side by side for a bit (something like JR/Cole for the first hour of Raw, then King replaced Cole for the 2nd hour). The only real "taking over" was Cole covering PbP when JR went through his Bell's Palsy in late '98 to early '99 and then when JR returned and instead of going back to the desk, spent a few weeks as a heel manager for Dr. Death Steve Williams.

A few months later, Cole would get the Smackdown PbP job while JR stayed on Raw.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
IIRC, Cole and JR worked side by side for a bit (something like JR/Cole for the first hour of Raw, then King replaced Cole for the 2nd hour). The only real "taking over" was Cole covering PbP when JR went through his Bell's Palsy in late '98 to early '99 and then when JR returned and instead of going back to the desk, spent a few weeks as a heel manager for Dr. Death Steve Williams.

A few months later, Cole would get the Smackdown PbP job while JR stayed on Raw.

For all the hate Cole gets now, his call of Foley's title win was perfect

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
For all the hate Cole gets now, his call of Foley's title win was perfect

What's odd is the one thing I always remember about that call was that on Foley's "Greatest Hits" DVD from like 20 years ago, he praises Cole but laments that it wasn't JR making the call.

IIRC, for WM15, Austin demanded that JR call the main event, so he replaced Cole and temporarily paused his heel gimmick to make the call.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
What's odd is the one thing I always remember about that call was that on Foley's "Greatest Hits" DVD from like 20 years ago, he praises Cole but laments that it wasn't JR making the call.

IIRC, for WM15, Austin demanded that JR call the main event, so he replaced Cole and temporarily paused his heel gimmick to make the call.

I think that is probably more about their behind the scenes relationship than anything else. It was JR who pushed for and got Foley hired at the WWF and JR that always pushed for Foley creatively.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I mean, the absolute peak of the Attitude Era was Foley winning the title and Michael Cole making the call on it.

That said, it did feel to me kind of like that era symbolically died when King walked out over his wife getting fired in 2001 and Heyman took over.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
They were definitely huge parts of the attitude era and even the ruthless aggression era.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad