Are any Top Prospects for the 2006 NHL playing in the CHL currently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGreek

Feb 28, 2002
New York
Visit site
I know that it is very early but are there any 2006 BlueChippers playing in the CHL this season? By BlueChippers I mean almost certain first rounders? I am trying to get an early start to monitor there progress from this season into next. Thanks in advance for the help

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
TheGreek said:
I know that it is very early but are there any 2006 BlueChippers playing in the CHL this season? By BlueChippers I mean almost certain first rounders? I am trying to get an early start to monitor there progress from this season into next. Thanks in advance for the help

In the OHL, I know there is Steve Spade, Barrie's first round pick last summer. December 1987 birthdate. VERY steady defensive defenseman with excellent size, skating and strength. One of those guys who just keeps it simple and never seems to make a mistake.

Also, his teammate Bryan Little is a late 1987 and having a monster year. Though very skilled, he is small (5'10" at most), so that might keep him out of the 1st round.

WesternEliteHockeyPr

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
One to keep an eye on is Ben Van Lare from the Saskatoon Blades in the WHL. He has a very late '87 birthdate of December 29th. He has mostly only seen time on the Blades 4th line and has scored 4 goals in 30+ games this season. What makes this impressive is that Van Lare is playing on the CHL's worst team and has proven to be one of the teams bright spots this season. Van Lare is from Texas! He drops the mits and drives the net very well and is one of the fittest Blades this year.

Another Blade player to watch is 6'3 200 pound defenseman Nick Knudsen. Knudsen plays a solid defensive game and isn't affraid to drop the mits either. He is a good skater who will be give a good look next season and the season after before being a decently high pick in the NHL if your looking for a solid all arouind defenseman.

Others around the WHL to keep an eye on are:
Codey Burki- Brandon......Nov 17th 1987....6'1 180.....1-9-10...Forward
Mike Hengen-Swift Current....Nov 27th 1987...6'0 185...3-3-6-28GP...Defense

So these are a few of the players currently playing in the WHL who have a chance of being drafted highly. 2 defenseman and 2 forwards to watch for!

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Bathurst Titan - Mathieu Carle -- D -- first 16 year old dman to score 10 or more goals in more than 15 years.

Quebec Remparts Joey Ryan -- D -- solid physical stay at home dman.

Both have a shot at round 1 as of now.

Campino

Jul 26, 2002
Visit site
Jean- Christophe Blanchard, Goalie, 6'4 is currently playing in the MAAA ranks, he's 16 years old now, i believe he has a late birthday which makes him 2006 eligible, ill check up on that.
He was been called up several times this season by the Moncton wildcats, he was their first round pick in the 2003 QMJHL entry draft. He has been compared to Roberto Luongo. He's a nominee for the Quebec midget AAA goalie of the year, winner yet to be decided. We has awarded at the all star game as the best goalie. He had 2 starts this season in the Q both wins and allowed only 2 goalies each game facing 30 shots both times. He is another one of those goalies to watch out for coming out of the Q. I can see him as a 2nd round pick in the 2006 NHL entry draft, maybe ever a first, but its too early to tell, goalies develop differently.

Whawks33

Apr 1, 2002
Portland OR
Visit site
Its early but...

Dustin Butler, 16 (just barely:12/30 birthdate), goalie for the Portland Winterhawks. Put up some great numbers at the U17 challenge, and although he's has limited starts, and some night with no defensive help, he looks good. At 6'2" 155lbs, he has a lot of filling out to do though.

goteam

Dec 16, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
I've been hearing the name Arron Alphonso out of Ontario. Can anyone from there tell me if he has a chance to be a big league player?

According to what I found----stats for this year with the Georgetown Jr. A Raiders:

77 ARRON ALPHONSO 43 6 15 21 61 FWD 6-0 170 1988

Pretty decent if you ask me!

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
GOTEAM said:
I've been hearing the name Arron Alphonso out of Ontario. Can anyone from there tell me if he has a chance to be a big league player?

According to what I found----stats for this year with the Georgetown Jr. A Raiders:

77 ARRON ALPHONSO 43 6 15 21 61 FWD 6-0 170 1988

Pretty decent if you ask me!

Not that decent if you consider that McGrath, Schremp and Wolski all had roughly 2 points per game in that league as 15-year-olds.

The word on Alphonso is that he is a big kid, great athlete, moves very well, plays the body very well, but not great with the puck and will never be a scorer.

Basically a bigger version of his brother Shandor, who plays for the Sudbury Wolves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->