Are 2013Blues a better team than 2012Blues?

SunDin

Dec 22, 2008
Hi, First I like to say Im not a Blues fan, just a hockey fan:).With last years solid Blues hockey and this years addition of Tarasenko, Im cheering for the Blues:)

My first thought when I saw you got Tarasenko was... 2013 is Blues cup year!!
But im not 100% sure of your full 2012 lineup, have you lost anyone?
Do you predict Blues to make any moves before the trade-deadline?
Do you think Blues is a better team this year than last year?

//Curious hockeyfan

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Its pretty much the same team with the subtraction of Arnott, Colaiacovo, and Huskins. Add in Tarasenko, Schwartz, and Redden.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Hi, First I like to say Im not a Blues fan, just a hockey fan:).With last years solid Blues hockey and this years addition of Tarasenko, Im cheering for the Blues:)

My first thought when I saw you got Tarasenko was... 2013 is Blues cup year!!
But im not 100% sure of your full 2012 lineup, have you lost anyone?
Do you predict Blues to make any moves before the trade-deadline?
Do you think Blues is a better team this year than last year?

//Curious hockeyfan

We lost Kent Huskins, Jason Arnott, and Carlo Coliacovo

Depends on how the team plays. I expect maybe a minor move but if Schwartz or Cole take their game to the next level I could see someone on the team going.

Yes with the addition of Tarasenko and Schwartz we have added some much needed offense. With Cole in our lineup we only have 2 players over 30 years old in McDonald and Nichol.

They certainly have all the tools to put it together. Now only time will tell how well everyone can get back up to speed and how this 48 game schedule will effect our players and other players from around the league.

Let's go Blues!!

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
To add to what has been said...

Assuming everybody plays about how they did last season, the Blues are a better team just because of added depth and scoring. To my point: Langenbrunner and D'Agostini saw decent time on scoring lines last year, but have both been healthy scratches for two of three games (both of which were better performances without them). Part of that is due to injuries to Perron, Steen, and McDonald last season, but it's also due to adding Tarasenko and Schwartz.

Stewart also looks to have turned it around. He's healthier, faster, and appears more focused.

The biggest question marks are
  • Health, particularly that of Andy McDonald
  • Can Cole or Redden be better than Colaiacovo for the whole year?
  • Can Halak and Elliott repeat their great performances?
  • Can Stewart rebound?
Deadline acquisitions will revolve around the answers to those questions, most likely.

I think most Blues fans agree that the Blues are better this year - or at least have more potential without losing any reliability.

stlweir

Sep 29, 2008
Yes, but there are always questions to be answered. Will the goal tending continue is the big question? Perron and AMac missed a lot of games. Adding Frank, Schwartz, Redden and Cole with more ice time means a better team on paper. We'll see. Steen is looking good at center. After four games I'll as a definite YES!

Last edited:

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Inside perspective: yes because Tarasenko

Haha made me laugh.

I'd say this team is better. All of the youngsters have more experience and we've gained two very good rookies in Tarasenko and Schwartz.

Tarasenko is a 1st line player in his rookie year. He is working his butt off out there and the chances are coming. Schwartz is just another in the mold of Steen and Oshie. Has some really nice offensive skills but will wow you just as much with his hustle and energy. If he were a lot bigger, he'd be a real threat right now. You can tell he still needs some more weight.

Thanks for the parting gifts, Jarmo!!!

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Look how calm Tarasenko looked before he sniped that. There was absolutely no panic whatsoever. That kid is unbelievable.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Much, much better. More experience. More skill. More determination. More Tarasenko.

In two full home games, the Blues have outscored their opponents 9-0, and outshot them 59-27 (so far).

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
By mid season, this Blues team will be a well oiled machine. They won't lose many this year.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I'd say so. They know how to win, Tarasenko adds a dimension they didn't have. This team is special

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
Yes. Tarasenko brings a much needed boost to the offense missing from last's seasons team so far. Just imagine if the Stewarts and Schwartzs start scoring more frequently...

jimmykay

Nov 15, 2011
Yes with the addition of Tarasenko and Schwartz we have added some much needed offense. With Cole in our lineup we only have 2 players over 30 years old in McDonald and Nichol.
I get what you're saying, but you forgot Jackman.

One thing that I thought about is that our 'kids' arent really young kids anymore.
This is Backes' 7th year, Perron and Stewart's 6th, and Berglund and Oshie's 5th.
Hell, its Steen's 9th year.
I'd say its safe to consider all of these guys veterans now, and we should expect veteran play out of them.

But back on topic, is this team better than last years? Absolutely. We replaced low impact players with high impact players. Can we survive this schedule and be healthy enough to do better? That remains to be seen.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I get what you're saying, but you forgot Jackman.

One thing that I thought about is that our 'kids' arent really young kids anymore.
This is Backes' 7th year, Perron and Stewart's 6th, and Berglund and Oshie's 5th.
Hell, its Steen's 9th year.
I'd say its safe to consider all of these guys veterans now, and we should expect veteran play out of them.

But back on topic, is this team better than last years? Absolutely. We replaced low impact players with high impact players. Can we survive this schedule and be healthy enough to do better? That remains to be seen.

only thing separating us from a cup run is health

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
What a question!!! Of course, this team is better than last year's. Tarasenko is a player that can create goals on his own. That means that The Blues can score even when facing a super-hot goaltender and a smothering defence. In addition, Backes, Berglund, Perron, Oshie, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk are all one year more experienced, and progressing well, and seem to be playing with more poise and confidence than last season. Schwartz is another quality addition, replacing a player with much less 2-way talent. In addition, Cole should play better than last year, and better than the marginal defencemen whose minutes he'll be replacing.

Also, ALL players will be integrated into Hitch's system, and those from last season will be a LOT more used to it and comfortable in it. AND, Stewart had a very poor season last year, and he's playing a lot better. He should be able to keep up this play all season.

The Blues should be significantly tougher in this season's playoffs, after doing a similar job in the regular season, to what they did last season.

SunDin

Dec 22, 2008
Thank you for your inputs Blues-fans :handclap:
A better 2013-Blues, thats what I thought.
Who knows how last year would have ended without the redhot LA Kings in the playoffs.. And this year, Blues are even better, so im very exited for this team!

Im also curious, how is the Blues $-situation? Do you have space any big moves/trades? Does Blues want to change anything in this allready hot lineup?

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Yes. Tarasenko brings a much needed boost to the offense missing from last's seasons team so far. Just imagine if the Stewarts and Schwartzs start scoring more frequently...

I can imagine Schwartz scoring more, but not Stewart. Ican't imagine him scoring more than 4 goals every 6 games! That'll be 32 goals in this short 48 game season! That would be 56 goals in an 82 game season! He would be scoring 1 ppg, or 32 G 16 A-48 pts in 48 games! I'll take that any time!

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
To answer the OP, I think the 2013 Blues have the potential to be better, but it remains to be seen. The goaltending last year was phenomenal, and the team defense reached a level we haven't seen yet.

There is more offensive talent, more skill, more depth on this season's team. But will they put in the work to reach that level of team defense? Will the goaltending come through? Will they avoid devastating injuries?

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
The Blues are a better team than last year. The regular season results may not be better because it's unlikely our goalies will post similar save percentages, but that's okay.

So far this season the Blues have been the best puck control team in the league, and there's no reason they won't keep that up. The last few games have looked iffy somewhat for the Blues but the reality is they were controlling the play against both Dallas and Minnesota, and despite giving up some goals they were able to eke out close wins. Usually in those games they'll be the ones with the lead and they'll be able to shut things down like against Nashville and Detroit.

The only real question is how they will perform against the other top teams in the league, like Chicago. The Chicago game was pretty even and they are a puck control monster just like the Blues.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
They are definitly better this yr, our young player learned valuable lessons last yr. We added some scoring depth that is not old and slow like Arnott, we finally see what three scoring lines can do. We let the tin man walk, Huskins as well. I thought Cole would step in and be better than either( jury still out) but Redden has looked impressive. I like the look of this team, we could add at the deadline if needed with prospects/pics but I'm fine with this team in the playoffs.

stlweir

Sep 29, 2008
Look at this team and it's depth and then the prospects in the pipeline and know that the Blues have some additional draft picks this upcoming draft. This organization is in great shape.

dtrain

Mar 6, 2012
MO
Thank you for your inputs Blues-fans :handclap:
A better 2013-Blues, thats what I thought.
Who knows how last year would have ended without the redhot LA Kings in the playoffs.. And this year, Blues are even better, so im very exited for this team!

Im also curious, how is the Blues $-situation? Do you have space any big moves/trades? Does Blues want to change anything in this allready hot lineup?

The Blues are dead last in cap hit, but that isn't relative. The actual money constraints are the mitigating factor.

I'm sure Army is always looking for the 'right' move, I just don't think anything needs to be done as of now. I'd like to see a stud lefty next to Pietrangelo but it's not a must.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad